Tracking Old License Plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracking Old License Plates

Do any of you guys know how to go about finding the registration data from a plate number from the 20's +/-? Or if it is even possible? Looking at some old Minnesota cycle photos and trying to put people, places and things together.

Thanks,

Bill

this sounds like an interesting project, kinda like geneology for bikes. i have to wonder if any records were kept for that long and how detailed they were to begin with? were they destroyed once a vehicle was no longer registered?

Comment

I've done title searches for 2&4 wheeled vehicles at DMV's in Oregon, California, Idaho and Washington State. Seven years seems to be all the longer they they keep the old info before they "purge" it. Maybe other states keep it longer, but I doubt it.
      Doug.
      Doug McLaughlin #6607
      NorCal, USA

Comment

Bill, I just made copies of the 1912 Wisconsin registration records for motorcycles. Also some
        of the 1909, 1910 and 1911 records. The earlier records have more info such as serial #'s. At least in Wisconsin. Wisconsin didn't start registering vehicles untill 1909. I think.

Try your state Historical Society. That's where Herb found these records in Wisconsin. By going thru the records I found some very interesting information. I also called some people with the same last names of the some of the more unique last names in the files. That takes time and patience. Some people are glad to talk and others aren't. Out of all the calls
        I made I only found one very old lady with a very bad photograph of her grandfather and his
        motorcycle. I was laso amazed to see how many last names have dissappeared from current records.

Another place to look is your local county clerk's office. Some counties had their own registration records. And it probably wouldn't hurt to check with your DOT. They just might have some records and point you in a good direction.

Dick

Comment

Working...
        X