Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Club Magazine related - Brilliant idea or fool's folly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Club Magazine related - Brilliant idea or fool's folly?

I had emailed a couple of people regarding my dissatisfaction that I recieve my club magazine 3-5 weeks after other members start getting theirs. One of those people was Mark Wheeler, President of Cornerstone Registration. He took the time to make what I think is a valid suggestion. Here's his thoughts:

"My suggestion is this: Contact one or more AMCA Board Members and suggest they offer a membership that provides the magazine at a First Class mailing rate. This way you could receive the magazine 3-5 days after being mailed, rather than 3-4 weeks. Some of the other clubs I manage offer this level of membership. These clubs have the magazine mailed in a protective envelope (not plastic) with “DO NO BEND” stamped on them. I’ve never in my 10 years of business had a magazine mailed at First Class go missing or damaged in the mail. Just a suggestion."

I for one would welcome that opportunity to decide if I wanted to pay an extra couple of bucks for a membership that includes first class mailing of the magazine. He didn't estimate what this would cost but it would be hard to believe that upgrading postage class on something that only gets mailed 4 times a year could be more than $5-6 bucks - hopefully. So what do you say members and directors - can we consider that option? Members would have a choice - regular $30. membership and take your chances of getting the club magazine within 30+ days of when it is mailed ....or $35. including first class postage. Sounds logical to me, especially since everyone would have the choice.
    AMCA 15783

My John Deere Mag, Two-Cylinder offers that. It's a quarterly magazine like The Antique Motorcycle. Seems like it wouldn't be to hard to offer.

Comment

Hemmings Motor News offers First Class mailing. It certainly is not cheap. Over double the yearly subscription price.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Sounds like a plan, how about also a downloadable pdf version for members, maybe even better an archive of past editions online

Comment

First Class Mailings

This was one of my biggest pet peeves about the club, and I was very vocal about it before I got on the BOD (probably what kept me off?) Anyway, this subject has surfaced many times, and cost has always been the main factor.
          However, if Cornerstone is willing to set up First Class mailings, individually, to members, than that may be a solution! It does sound too good to be true though.

We'll see, RF.

Comment

Great idea, I would be glad to pay extra to be able to get the mag in a timely manner. Count me in!

Comment

do they mail the mag as it is printed or in one full lot?
              rob ronky #10507
              www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Originally posted by rwm View Post
                do they mail the mag as it is printed or in one full lot?

They say that they all go to the PO at the same time and the reason that one member gets his/hers in 2 days and others wait 3-5 weeks is that they use a "periodical" rate with the post office which is the least expensive rate but with obviously very poor service to go along with it.
                AMCA 15783

Comment

Northwoods, I looked up your location on a map........you really are "off the beaten path" I bet gas is even extra cost up there.

Comment

i don't believe the printer this doesn't happen with TIME or LIFE mag.maybe buzz will chime in and tell us how his mag gets out.
                    rob ronky #10507
                    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Heck--I would be happy just to get the mag --I have not seen one since the winter issue !!!!!! --Michael--6671

Comment

Originally posted by fabercycle View Post
                        Northwoods, I looked up your location on a map........you really are "off the beaten path" I bet gas is even extra cost up there.
                        Not that I believe that has anything to do with the untimely arrival of my club magagzines, but yes, I do live in a rural, semi-remote area by choice. I live on a crystal clear lake that is part of a much larger watershed. I can fish any one of 12 lakes without ever trailering my boat. Loons, moose, and other wildlife galore. Peace and quiet like most people have never experienced. We're currently watching a pair of loons teach their newborn to swim and fish, and there's also a nesting pair of bald eagles close by. The flip side of the coin is that it's a 40 minute (about 30 miles) drive to buy groceries, and 90 minutes to Bangor to go to the mall or airport. Wouldn't trade it for anything now that we've been here for 10+ years. A sense of neighbor-ness like you remember from the 1950s )if you're old enough).
                        AMCA 15783

Comment

Working...
                        X