front fender lamp base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front fender lamp base

I have two types of front fender lamp bases in my stash. Note the difference in the way the wire runs to the bulb holder. Can anyone help me indentify years they are correct for? The one with the wire hole on the side seems more common. Thanks,
    Eric
    Attached Files
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    Eric MATHIEU @ Beauty of Speed
    www.beautyofspeed.com

Ok so either everybody knows and I'm the last guy who doesn't or nobody knows so no one is answering. Please somebody give some info, ideas etc...
    Eric
    www.beautyofspeed.com

Comment

Page 416 of Palmer's book sez the lamp with the wire going into the base was 1935-1947. The one with the wire terminal on the bottom appeared in 1948 and was used from then on.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Don't let it annoy you, Eric. The best takes time!

Comment

Chris,
          Unless I have a different edition of Bruce's book, I don't see reference to a terminal on the fender lamp base on page 416. My book mentions a terminal for 1948 & later for the wire going through the fender in the springer area, not on the base.

It seems to me the terminal version of the base is more complicated / expensive to build. Usually I have found the factory to make things easier / cheaper to make with time so my guess was the terminal version of the base was an early one. Any pre-40 experts out there with ideas? I'm trying to make sure I use the right base on my 1938 EL.
          Eric
          www.beautyofspeed.com

Comment

Also why would the base without the terminal have the square cutout between the two rivets if it was the first verion of the two. I would say that cutout was made for the first version which was the terminal version and then left on the die when they switched to a later / simpler style. This is what makes the most sense to me but since when did things that make sense have anything to do with restorations ??? Ideas?
            www.beautyofspeed.com

Comment

Eric,
              It seems that studying the parts books answers your question. The terminal screw for the brass terminal block is shown as last used in 1945. The later parts books picture it but the number no longer appears in the description. It is shown in the 1945 parts book, but by the '48 parts book is listed as '35-'45 only. The wire also changes post 1945. Along with that the rubber for the grommet could have become available by then as wartime rationing was over and Guide could have updated the design for faster production and cheaper cost.
              Robbie
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I had a talk with Bruce today. Information has changed since his first printing of his book. He says the base with the terminal on the bottom was used 1935-1945. After that the base with the wire was used. In 1948 the route of the wire changed to an insulated bolt on the lower horn bracket rather than the wire going through the fender.
                Last edited by Chris Haynes; 07-04-2010, 08:25 PM. Reason: New information
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                X