Panic at Dixon AMCA meet.............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panic at Dixon AMCA meet.............

It has been a few years since I had the old Chief judged so off to Dixon we go again. I had a fresh motor and restoration with only a few minutes on the motor then and got a junior second. I hear we need to start them up so I bring some gas, oil and a new battery.

About an hour before the start of judging I try to start it up but no go. Many who come by offer good ideas but still only runs about 10 seconds, one time. I kick till my leg is about to fall off. She wants to start but no go. Now we are down to about 20 minutes to go before the judges come out and I push up to the entry and still no start. Now I am pissed.

Mike "Kiwi" Tomas comes up and after a few kicks and short discussion it appears the timing is off so we break out some tools and go to work at his space. Ziggy comes up with a donation of fresh Indian plugs. We get ready to try again with only 2 minutes to go I see the Judge meeting is now over and here they come. My leg is toast, Mike fires it up after a few kicks and while running I push it into place and get the OK it runs nod, and sticker! Wow.

After a couple hours go by we get the result sheets. She gets a Senior First !!!!!

Thanks to Mike for his time and effort to make this happen, you also Ziggy.

Mike said later, "There is always time to do it at the last minute"
    #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Dixon

It was good to see the "Big Three" of the Indian Suppliers at Dixon; Greer, Kiwi, and Stark. Dixon is like the biggest little show in the West!
    I had a panic of my own at on the Judging Field with my own Chief. Seems my petcock leaked, and my paint got blistered under the tank! Just last week the bike toppled over, busting the headlight when the side stand dug into the grass while I was taking pictures of her!
    Which Chief was yours?
    Congrats, RF.

Comment

I saw a Chief in the judging area thet had some very fresh front fender damage. Sad.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Black 1946 Chief, that now runs fine.

I also thought there was a good turn out of all the big Indian guys. Nice to see Ziggy, Steve White, and the Smith family attend also. Good meet. Will try to post pics later today or so.
        #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

Black '46

Oh Yeah, that black '46 was gorgeous! I really like 'em when they have 18"s too. I managed to replace my busted headlight lense in time for the meet, but with the incorrect year ('38 are a hard one to find). I ended up with a fuel leak around my petcock, and the gas bubbled my paint under the tank; yet more deductions! I had just put brand new gas caps on her (obtained at the meet), and I noticed that they didn't let the pressure bleed out, so I guess I suffered from having pressurized tanks!
          Thanks for bringing your '46
          RF.

Comment

That stuff happens when you get old. Then the gas slips out. Oooops
            Denise

Comment

Working...
            X