Origin of name? -- "Cannonball" Baker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origin of name? -- "Cannonball" Baker

I ran across a discrepancy concerning "Cannonball" Baker's name. Maybe one of you guys has the answer. It's timely because of the Cannonball Run coming up. It may also interest some of our Australian club members and all you Indian guys.

There seem to be two different explanations how "Cannonball" got that name:

"Motorcycle Illustrated," June 29, 1916, p.34, contains this short paragraph:

"Baker has a good story he brought back from Australia, as to how he got the name of 'Cannonball.' Ask him to tell it to you next time you see him."

That's all it says.

BUT, in the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame blurb about Baker, it states:

"After a record-setting transcontinental run in by Baker in 1914, a New York newspaper writer compared him to the Cannonball Express train and he picked up the famous moniker that would stick with him the rest of his life."

No source for that info is given.

Those two accounts seem to give completely different explanations of how Baker got the name "Cannonball." Which is the correct explanation? If the name came about from a trip to Australia, there should be some record of that. If a New York newspaperman coined the name, that should be recorded too. Baker was a famous guy and we should verify this for the record.

Gotta get back to them awesome Harley Eight-Valves. They are about to win a couple of BIG races!
    Herbert Wagner
    AMCA 4634
    =======
    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

little off topic the cannonball train killed casey jones.
    rob ronky #10507
    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Originally posted by rwm View Post
      little off topic the cannonball train killed casey jones.
      Actually it was Casey Jones who killed the Cannonball Express.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Interesting post Herb. I found this but back in the day proof is the best... http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/hall...spx?RacerID=15 Love that article on the eight-valves!!! I can't wait for the next installment!!!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
          Interesting post Herb. I found this but back in the day proof is the best... http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/hall...spx?RacerID=15
          I saw that HOF explanation too and it's repeated elsewhere online. That's when I realized there was a discrepancy when compared to the 1916 article that talks about the nickname "Cannonball" coming after his trip to Australia.

Surely some Indian fan has researched Baker and knows more about this. If not we'll have to dig it out ourselves.

Love that article on the eight-valves!!! I can't wait for the next installment!!!
          Thanks. Lots of new stuff turned up doing that Eight-Valve article. Once again things we were told in the past are not true. One remaining mystery is the origin of that term "Chicago Harley."

Unfortunately I gotta leave a lot of good stuff out. That 1914-'16 racing period was really something. For some reason Pop Schwinn, the Excelsior guys, and their "Big-Valve" racing motor intrigues me. Maybe because I had a Schwinn bicycle as a kid. Probably most of us did...
          Herbert Wagner
          AMCA 4634
          =======

Comment

Here's a newspaper clipping from 11/21/1915 in the Oakland Tribune where is is already
            called "Cannonbal Baker" before he leaves for his trip to Australia.

Dick
            Attached Files

Comment

Here's an article from 11/17/1914 in the Lowell Sun, Lowell, Mass. and they don't mention
              "Cannonball" at all.

Dick
              Attached Files

Comment

Here's an article from the Raleigh Herald in Beckley, W.V. that gives a biography of Erwin
                Baker but nothing on how he got his name. The copy is not so plenty good.

Dick
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by pem View Post
                  Here's an article from the Raleigh Herald in Beckley, W.V. that gives a biography of Erwin

Dick
                  Sorry, this was from 02/04/1916.

Comment

Here's a newspaper clipping from 11/21/1915 in the Oakland Tribune where is is already
                    called "Cannonbal Baker" before he leaves for his trip to Australia.

Dick
                    That's good research!

No doubt about it. Baker had the name "Cannonball" before the Australia trip in 1915. The New York newspaperman origin might well be true. Maybe something else happened in Australia that didn't give him the name exactly, but only proved it was a fitting one. Probably the motorcycle mags covered the Australia trip and may provide an answer.

Thanks!
                    Herbert Wagner
                    AMCA 4634
                    =======

Comment

Here's an article from 11/17/1914 in the Lowell Sun, Lowell, Mass. and they don't mention
                      "Cannonball" at all.

Dick
                      Between these two articles it appears that Baker received the name "Cannonball" between Nov. of 1914 and Nov. of 1915.
                      Herbert Wagner
                      AMCA 4634
                      =======

Comment

Dick
                        They do compare him to fast trains of the day, altho not one called "Cannonball."

Back then a motorcyclist had fast trains as a benchmark for the annihilation of time and distance. No wonder they raced and crossed in front of trains on a dare. Back then I'm guessing motorcycles were the fastest things on the road bar a few very expensive cars.
                        Herbert Wagner
                        AMCA 4634
                        =======

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
                          They do compare him to fast trains of the day, altho not one called "Cannonball."

Back then a motorcyclist had fast trains as a benchmark for the annihilation of time and distance. No wonder they raced and crossed in front of trains on a dare. Back then I'm guessing motorcycles were the fastest things on the road bar a few very expensive cars.
                          One interesting thing that I found while researching this is that I could find no mention of
                          Cannonball Baker in any 1914 New York newspaper that I looked at. But I'm sure not all papers were listed. Hopefully something will come up.

Dick

Comment

One interesting thing that I found while researching this is that I could find no mention of
                            Cannonball Baker in any 1914 New York newspaper that I looked at. But I'm sure not all papers were listed. Hopefully something will come up.

Dick
                            There must have been a LOT of New York newpspapers at that time.

You'd think it would have been explained in a motorcycle mag around the time the "Cannonball" name was given to him. But now we know it was given before the Australian trip. So this is one case where an original (1916) document is misleading. Fancy that!
                            Herbert Wagner
                            AMCA 4634
                            =======

Comment

Working...
                            X