No announcement yet.

"Historic" License Plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gerry - I picked up a '48 pan and attempted to get an 'Antique' plate here in PA....I'm not aware of a 'historic' plate. Since PA uses tag shops and messenger services you really don't get an opportunity to talk to a DMV representative face-to-face. I went to my local tag shop and figure I'd get an antique tag for the one time price of $75 and be set for life. The guy at the counter said he would try and do it for me, but the State requires insurance and 4 pictures (front, right side, left side and back) in order to issue the plate. He said 'try' because according to his experience (and others that I've found) the State will deny anything that looks either non-factory or that is not perfectly shiny and new. My issue is that the panhead looks like it hasn't been cleaned in 30 years. It's not the orginal paint, but I at least like the patina. The guy said that it would most likely be denied becuase of the condition. He said the State will deny anything that doesn't look tip-top because once the plate is issued there is no annual safety inspection requirement. So, it pretty much has to look new so that the State thinks you're not causing a safety concern for other drivers. Anyway, the irony is that he said my best bet would be to restore it, take pictures and then tag it. My contention was that, under the rules, an unrestored/original paint bike would never pass the test for the antique plate in the eyes of the State. He pretty much agreed. So, I'm going to tag it as a regular bike and then keep up with the safety inspections each year.

This thread is helpful but is there another thread warranted for titles? I have the worst luck with titles and I'm curious to hear what the other requirements are across the states. I know there are (were?) services to title vehicles where a title has been lost through the years, but it's tough work to get one. My favorite response is when I ask (in PA) "How do I title a vehicle that doesn't have a title?"....response "Bring the title from the former owner with you."
    Scott
    AMCA# 13993

Comment

I've heard that about PA before. I've also heard that it depends upon who you talk to/get as a tag clerk at Harrisburg. These self-appointed taste-police anger me.
      I know that it was not the intention of the law that only pristine restorations qualify, when Past AMCA President and Honorary Member, the late Dr. Art Sigal, almost single-handedly got the provisions enacted into PA law in the 1960s, and wasn't the practice when Past President, etc., (ditto) Doc John Patt, V.M.D., R.I.P, registered his entirely rust-patinaed 1930 VL he found leaning against a tree in an orchard in Pennsylvania, in the 1970s.
      Why don't you just wash it and give it a thorough detailing one time, what you have, and take the four requested photos of it? If you get an idiot at Harrisburg, come back.
      ]I'm certain that extreme restoration is not written into the PA antique law. Next step would be to a marshal some political muscle to lean on Harrisburg a little. It shouldn't take much. Who are your PA legislator and State Senator?
      BTW, when I'm talking of "Historic," or "Antique" or "Pioneer" or any other of the dozen of different tag names, they all mean the same thing. Every state (and Territory, and Province), it seems, have their own pet titles for what we're talking about. They're just different in the details, regarding the age required, and all the other possible requirements and qualifications.
      Last edited by Sargehere; 06-04-2010, 09:18 PM.
      Gerry Lyons #607
      http://www.37ul.com/
      http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Re-cycleInc, I would try to get the antique plates if that is what you want. It doesn't hurt to send a few pictures in with the application. When I got the antique plates for my flathead it had bobbed fenders on it at the time (no longer). They still gave me the plates, it all depends on who at the DMV gets your application and what kind of mood they are in that day
        Rich
        AMCA #8438

Comment

I feel lucky to have found and bought a genuine 1915 Connecticut motorcycle plate that I plan on registering and running on my Motorcycle Cannonball 1915 Harley.

Talk about hard to find, I have been looking for almost a year for this one and can't believe my luck in finding this one.
          Buzz Kanter
          Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
          [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
          [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

Rich - One of these days I plan on taking a trip out to Harrisburg to see if I can charm somebody into issuing me some plates. It's only about an hour a way but I never remember to do it when I have a day off. If I do get there and have success I'll post any information that might be useful to someone here. Until then I'll just run my other plates on it around the neighborhood.
            Scott
            AMCA# 13993

Comment

Check your state and see if they have a "year of manufacture" law, If they do and you can find an age appropriate plate you can register and run it.

I buy and sell (pre-1975) Texas motorcycle plates and have an excellent restorer that I deal with.

Unclviny
              AMCA #9037
              www.vinceandersononline.com
              1973-1/2 LWB BMW R75/5
              1971 Norton Commando
              1952 Triumph TRW
              1936 BMW R2

Comment

Working...
              X