"Historic" License Plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Historic" License Plates

Since there's no category here about state laws or registration, and Ohio-Rider answered my post to another thread, in "Paint," with something about license plates, but not wanting to hijack that thread, I thought I'd answer him by starting a new thread.

Originally posted by Ohio-Rider View Post
    ... Gerry, It might be worth a try to contact the New Jersey BMV with your request. They need the cash. You never know, if the right girl answerers the phone, you might get lucky enough that you could have a real one at a one time cost.
    I considered that. I'd have to report the 1976 NJ plate as lost (it is a permanent-for-life plate, so it's still tied to my '37 Harley, registered in NJ) to NJ DMV, which wouldn't be right, but they've also changed the "Historic" plate to include little "sticker corners" embossed in both sides, and changed the paint colors a couple of times since I got mine. They were all-over "straw" yellow, like all NJ plates were for decades, 50s-'70s (which is an exact Cadillac paint color, BTW), then some light blue for years, with straw lettering, and the straw color fades to white, nowadays, with black letters again, I understand. I'd just like a replica that's correctly embossed. The highest number Historic motorcycle plate I've seen issued was on the high side of 5,000, last year. Every one of the 50 states, Territories, and Provinces of Canada has a different set of rules on 'Antique Vehicles' and how to register them to drive on their roads.

NJ won't reissue my plate number to anyone else if I don't surrender the one in my possession, so if I ever move back to Joisey, the '37 motor can go back in it and Ol' Tex is "Q1" again.

One of the other charter Seaboard members passed away in 2002, and there were some people yearning to register their bikes with his low-numbered plate (we Seaboard members had asked for first call on the first ten when we found out we had won them from NJ DMV, as I remember).

Some of the other Q-plate people, and I, who'd earned our plates by writing letters, making phone calls and generally keeping after NJ DMV for almost two years, 1974-76, asked his heirs not to surrender it to be "recycled." We just wanted to keep the numbers we'd hard-earned among those of us who'd helped in the fight to get them. It just meant something to us. We survivors still call and talk and email each other, and call each other by our plate numbers: I'm "Hey, Q1!" for instance. So it's our memories of him that would be diluted, I guess.

I understand that NJ enforces their insurance requirement for motorcycles operated on the road, now, by requiring you even prove you have insurance in effect every year on your permanently-registered Historic Vehicle, and issues you an validation sticker for the plate that proves that to the cop on the street, and that they have for some time. The Historic plates have little embossed squares in the lower corners, now. A far cry from the time when one of their expressed defenses against issuing us Historic plates for motorcycles at all, was, "The word 'Historic' would be so small on a motorcycle plate as to be illegible." !!!
    Gerry Lyons #607
    http://www.37ul.com/
    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Move to South Dakota!

Comment

What are the regulations on license plates on antique motorcycles there? In 1988, last time I inquired of all the states and provinces for The Antique Motorcycle, the S.D. Director of Motor Vehicles wrote me that "only cars" were "eligible for 'historical' license plates." I would be glad to hear that's changed, in a state that sees a half-million motorcyclists visit every August.
      Last edited by Sargehere; 06-02-2010, 10:34 PM.
      Gerry Lyons #607

Comment

Originally posted by Sargehere View Post
        I understand that NJ enforces their insurance requirement for motorcycles operated on the road, now, by requiring you even prove you have insurance in effect every year on your permanently-registered Historic Vehicle, and issues you an validation sticker for the plate that proves that to the cop on the street, and that they have for some time. The Historic plates have little embossed squares in the lower corners, now. A far cry from the time when one of their expressed defenses against issuing us Historic plates for motorcycles at all, was, "The word 'Historic' would be so small on a motorcycle plate as to be illegible." !!!

I have Jersey plates on my Indian & have had them for about 3 years now ( before I used it everyday so I had normal plates for about 8 years) I have not had to prove anything to NJDMV since I have had the plates never had to prove anything, unless I was pulled over & they want to see the papers & I have never gotten a sticker for the plate on my historic bikes but I do need a sticker for my non historic bikes. I did ask about the black squares when I first got them in Trenton They told me don't worry about it, it just the same blank used for the non histiric bikes. I ride this beast all over & have never been stopped for no plate sticker

Comment

Great! Thanks for filling that in! They must've given up on that scheme. Or maybe it was just the fear, when the new plate design was inaugurated. I've been out of New Jersey for a while. You say "plates,' does Jersey still issue two plates, for front & rear? They did for many years, and some of the front fender plate brackets got quite creative.
          Gerry Lyons #607

Comment

No just one plate but 2 bikes hence "plates " one for each, sorry for the confusion
            Joe Oz

Comment

Is that avatar of yours a standard issued plate or a vanity plate?

In Ohio the standard issued historical plate is also a life time plate assigned to the bike and has no annual renewal fee. So even if your bike is off the road for several years for repair, you retain the rights to that plate forever.

The vanity historical plate here is a bit different, it requires a yearly fee of about $20. and if you fail to renew it each year then you lose the rights to that plate.

Then we could get into YOM plates………
              ------------
              Steve
              AMCA #7300

Comment

What are the regulations on license plates on antique motorcycles there? In 1988, last time I inquired of all the states and provinces for The Antique Motorcycle, the S.D. Director of Motor Vehicles wrote me that "only cars" were "eligible for 'historical' license plates." I would be glad to hear that's changed, in a state that sees a half-million motorcyclists visit every August.
                Gerry, sometime in the mid-90's we were allowed a permanent historical plate at cost of $50. Only thing to be careful about is power-washing them, as the paint can peel. .. but my Chief doesn't like baths anyway......

Comment

From experience, I know that South Dakota's issuance of "Historical" license plates for motorcycles didn't happen by itself. Someone, or some group must have organized to badger the motor vehicle authorities to issue bike-sized historical plates.

Having been through it in ten percent of the United States, it's gone from Kentucky, the easiest, which required only a couple of phone calls to the Pittsburgh Die Company, that makes the dies for "prison-made" license plates all over the country, and a phone call and letter to the Frankfort Div. of Motor Vehicles to get them, back around 1983, to New York State, where a particularly obstinate Motor Vehicle bureaucrat dug in her heels, and through pure stubborness, finally required that N.Y. antique motorcyclists organize their political muscle and get a an actual law passed in the state legislature to include motorcycles under the historical vehicle law (she also found herself in a new position, by the end of it, not dealing with the motoring public).

All credit for N.Y. goes to Jack Weber, then president of the Long Island Indian club, who picked up the ball and ran with it; ran with it like a bulldog with a sirloin steak in his mouth! He and I spoke at the Colonial national meet in 1988, and off he went, with a only a little further guidance and help.

If anyone else is having trouble getting antique vehicle plates in their respective states, I'm here. Just PM or email me. I'd like to update the information I have on the historical plate laws of the various states and provinces. I also love making state bureaucrats earn their paychecks.
                  Gerry Lyons #607

Comment

From experience, I know that South Dakota's issuance of "Historical" license plates for motorcycles didn't happen by itself. Someone, or some group must have organized to badger the motor vehicle authorities to issue bike-sized historical plates." .. quote sarge

Gerry, another amca member with a 1200's number whispered in my ear that a prominent elder member (he's plenty famous, but I'm going on a whisper) convinced the Treasury that they'd gain more revenue from $50 permanent historical plates than from $10 annual plates for bikes that wouldn't be ridden annually, and therefore not licensed annually, or ever. But if some big group or lobbying effort did this for me, they haven't asked for credit. ... we're a little different here, we trust eachother more, and a farmer's common sense can prevail. I wish you the same good fortune.

Comment

"we're a little different here, we trust eachother more, and a farmer's common sense can prevail.
                      I guess that's why I usually like the West, and the South for lifestyle, Phil. Things move a little calmer than up in the NE, where no one seems to trust anyone as far as they can throw 'um.
                      I've heard from a couple of people, already, as a result of this thread, and I'm going to try to help them out. I gotta emphasize that individual states are all different, with fifty sets of laws (and 11 provinces?) and the authorities in each one only listen to their own citizens.
                      People interested in getting "Historic" or "Historical" or or "Collector" or "Antique Vehicle" or even "Year of Manufacture" plates approved for motorcycles in their state will have to do most of the legwork, but I can be of help in pointing out where to look and who to find, and who you may need to talk to, to get the laws, or often, just the motor vehicle people, to agree.
                      Gerry Lyons #607

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio-Rider View Post
                        Is that avatar of yours a standard issued plate or a vanity plate?

In Ohio the standard issued historical plate is also a life time plate assigned to the bike and has no annual renewal fee. So even if your bike is off the road for several years for repair, you retain the rights to that plate forever.

The vanity historical plate here is a bit different, it requires a yearly fee of about $20. and if you fail to renew it each year then you lose the rights to that plate.
                        Then we could get into YOM plates………
                        Steve, we already HAVE gotten into YOM ("Year-of-Manufacture") plates in the back channel (PMs). That is a whole 'nother ball of wax, and is easier for bikes if the state already has a YOM law, and allows them for CARS. Then, the motor vehicle authorities are just discriminating against motorcycles, and you can often correct it administatively. The alternative to making headway with the MV authorities is a legislative campaign, marshalling forces (like your local AACA chapters, maybe hot rod clubs and the nearest AMCA chapter, for instance) and talking to your state legislators and State Senators, and getting a leetle amendment to the existing Antique Plate Law passed. Usually, not really hard, just drawn-out.
                        Yeah, my avatar is the actual first Historic plate issued to a motorcycle by New Jersey, in 1976, and is permanently registered to my '37 UL Harley. To the motor, at least. Here in Florida, the '41 motor that's in it, & titled to, is registered to a motorcycle Handicapped Vehicle plate, with a little wheelchair on it.
                        Before we succeded in 1976, Joisey had issued "QQ" plates for decades for antique cars (that was their code for antiques) refusing them for motorcycles of the same age and otherwise qualified (restored, or original-condition). But, in 1974 I found in a local library of NJ lawbooks that the Jersey law said, "any resident of the state who is the owner of a motor vehicle over 25 years old, owned as a collector's item," etc. was eligible for permanent Historic license plates. That was enuf!
                        We members of the AMCA who already knew each other in New Jersey organized the Seaboard Chapter to unite our voices to petition for the plates for motorcycles, and it took almost two years of letters and phone calls and The Seaboard Sidecar newsletters.
                        Seaboard Chapter's now been in existence for over 35 years. By 1976, we had the owners of over fifty bikes lined up to buy the $25 permanent plates as soon as the state bought the die for the little word "Historic" to stamp it on otherwise ordinary 3 1/2" x 8" NJ motorcycle plates. Over 5,000 have been issued, since.
                        Last edited by Sargehere; 06-04-2010, 05:53 AM.
                        Gerry Lyons #607

Comment

The Great Garden State

Gerry,
                          NJMVC now requires, proof of insurance, a clear title, and two or three pictures of the motorcycle being registered that are kept by MVC. The pictures, I believe are meant to be somewhat of a deterent to prevent the chopper crowd from obtaining historic plates.
                          Last year I registered a couple more of my rides as historic. It is a very painless process. The best way I have found is go straight to East State St in Trenton and do it there. The longest I have ever waited was ten minutes. With annual registrations for motorcycles at 65 bucks it is a bargain as well.
                          When I inquired about the spots for stickers, I was told all plates are made that way, but there is no annual registration fee, yet. That was very comforting, if you know what I mean.
                          Thanks for all the hard work,
                          Lyle

Comment

Steve, we already HAVE gotten into YOM ("Year-of-Manufacture") plates in the back channel (PMs). That is a whole 'nother ball of wax, and is easier for bikes if the state already has a YOM law, and allows them for CARS. Then, the motor vehicle authorities are just discriminating against motorcycles, and you can often correct it administatively. The alternative to making headway with the MV authorities is a legislative campaign, marshalling forces (like your local AACA chapters, maybe hot rod clubs and the nearest AMCA chapter, for instance) and talking to your state legislators and State Senators, and getting a leetle amendment to the existing Antique Plate Law passed. Usually, not really hard, just drawn-out.
                            Yeah, my avatar is the actual first Historic plate issued to a motorcycle by New Jersey, in 1976, and is permanently registered to my '37 UL Harley. To the motor, at least. Here in Florida, the '41 motor that's in it, & titled to, is registered to a motorcycle Handicapped Vehicle plate, with a little wheelchair on it.
                            Before we succeded in 1976, Joisey had issued "QQ" plates for decades for antique cars (that was their code for antiques) refusing them for motorcycles of the same age and otherwise qualified (restored, or original-condition). But, in 1974 I found in a local library of NJ lawbooks that the Jersey law said, "any resident of the state who is the owner of a motor vehicle over 25 years old, owned as a collector's item," etc. was eligible for permanent Historic license plates. That was enuf!
                            We members of the AMCA who already knew each other in New Jersey organized the Seaboard Chapter to unite our voices to petition for the plates for motorcycles, and it took almost two years of letters and phone calls and The Seaboard Sidecar newsletters.
                            Seaboard Chapter's now been in existence for over 35 years. By 1976, we had the owners of over fifty bikes lined up to buy the $25 permanent plates as soon as the state bought the die for the little word "Historic" to stamp it on otherwise ordinary 3 1/2" x 8" NJ motorcycle plates. Over 5,000 have been issued, since.
                            Gerry, All of us in Jersey Should thank you & the Seaboard Chapter for your Time & Effort in getting us the Plates, It had to be a lot of bull to sort thru to get them, but it was worth it, so
                            Thanks
                            Joe Oz

Comment

Thanks, Oz, but Seaboard Chapter has thanked me, voting me "Honorary Membership" for what went on 35 years ago. One of those is past-chapter president Lyle Manheimer, who posted above. That was one of the greatest thrills of my life.
                              Having gotten a feel for it, I moved around the country after the New Jersey experience, still in the army for a few more years, and every state I landed in that didn't have cycle-sized antique plates heard from me.
                              Maryland usta give 6" x 12" car plates for mounting on the rear fenders of antique bikes! They were cute. (right!) Some Marylanders had already cut up the car plate they were issued for the little words, and used old Md. bike plates and made their own with the appropriate numerals. Antique bikers are nothing if not resourceful!
                              I organized what became the Chesapeake Chapter in 1980, just like we had the Seaboard Chapter: I made phone calls and wrote a letter to all 50+ Md. AMCA members right off the club roster (postage was 15 cents in those days) and invited them to a meeting at Pikesville Armory to get organized for a plate-fight, helped by Mort Wood, Dave Panella, Bill Potter, Ken Watson, Bill Blankner and others.
                              Twenty-seven Md. AMCA members showed up, on Oct. 23rd, 1980, and became charter members of the "Chesapeake Antique Motorcycle Club," which finally became the Chesapeake Chapter, AMCA. I was reassigned overseas in 1981 before the fight was won, but it was.
                              It always seems to be a battle, but every state is different. I'm offering again to provide advice to anyone who can't get cycle-sized antique plates for their old motorcycles that otherwise qualify under their state's antique vehicle law because they're only available for "automobiles," or some such excuse. Drop me a PM on this forum, or my address is in the club roster.
                              Gerry Lyons #607

Comment

Working...
                              X