No announcement yet.

Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have about 2200 miles on a set of 4.50x18 Firestone repops by Coker on my '42 FL, still in good shape. For comparison, the Dunlop rear tire on my 2007 Heritage Springer was replaced at 7500 miles, size is 150/80B16. The front shoudl be good to about 15,000.

All things considered, the Coker tire wire is acceptable from my perspective.
    Lonnie Campbell #9908
    South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

I have 4.5 x 18 Cokers on my Chief and have no complaints. They're holding up well and are sticky enough for me. I'm more worried about losing that cheap-ass India made battery than I am about my tires when I take a left hand turn.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

I got 45,000 miles on my 1991 flhs front dunlop. only 7000 on rears though

Comment

Originally posted by fabercycle View Post
          I got 45,000 miles on my 1991 flhs front dunlop. only 7000 on rears though
          You must never use your front brake.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Sounds like the Cokers made for the late model bikes (40-60's) hold up fairly well, but the early clincher tires by Coker and Universal still suck. Does that about cover it?
            Louie
            FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
            Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
            YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

I always run Avons, I like Dunlops, but find it hard to run a tire with "Harley Davidson" on a Chief. One of the great mysteries of life to me in the same category with "Why do they call it a toothbrush?" "Why do you park in the driveway, and drive on the parkway" is "Why do motorcycle tires cast $200 plus and tires for my 4X4 cost $150 and use 3X's as much rubber?"
              Pete Cole AMCA #14441
              1947 Indian Chief

Comment

Why does a Harley cost as much as a new car? Cars have four wheels, eight cylinders ,seating for five, a heater and windows!...Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MJW View Post
                  Why does a Harley cost as much as a new car? Cars have four wheels, eight cylinders ,seating for five, a heater and windows!...Mike
                  In 1997 a new Honda Civic cost less than my H-D Ultra Classic. But H-D is an American Company with Union Labor. GOD BLESS THE UNIONS!
                  Be sure to visit;
                  http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                  Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                  Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris ......."You must never use your front brake."

I'm usually doing wheelies

Comment

While we’re talking tires, I got a question as well. How can a new tire be made to look old? My 45 is need of tires but putting new ones on it would really look out of place because of the condition of the rest of the bike. I’ve been limiting the amount of miles I’ve been putting on the bike because the tires have reached the point that I don’t trust them to go much farther. Any idea’s?
                      ------------
                      Steve
                      AMCA #7300

Comment

Bringing this back up again. I see this on the flea and wonder if anyone has run these Dunlops....the price seems to be right:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dunlop-K81-T...sories&vxp=mtr

Any opinion on these tires?

Comment

Hello

My two cents on Non-Skid Cocker Tires. Got 12000 miles plus on the front, (can't seem to wear it out, no front brake though.)
                          Got 1500 miles out of the rear, bike was really heavy, on my run across the US. Got 3500miles on rear with light loads.
                          No tire trouble since 1974 until last month when I got my first flat. 1/4 mile from the top of 4,100 ft Mt Hamilton. approached from the back side on a 14 single speed HD.
                          It is ugly when the tire goes flat, at any speed. Not sure if I am pushing my luck or not.

10e

Comment

Hello
                            Did I say something wrong?
                            I forgot to mention, I didn't receive any support from Cocker Tire, neither did I want it, but I was so impressed with the rear tires performance that I carried the worn out tire all the way from Dodge City, Kansas to San Francisco Ca. A short while later I called Cocker to tell them the same.
                            Talked to a lady, she said she would pass it on. Didn't get as much as a peep out of the management, somehow I felt a bit slighted. That's how it goes I suppose.
                            10e

Comment

Not by me you did not.

I've been tied up working on my 02 VRod since Thursday nite. What a PITA this bike is to work on, just checking the valve lash and then havign to pull the cams to check shim sizes, yeouch. This ha staken seveal hours to perform. part of that is scrambling to get th emetric tools rounded up and away from the SAE stuff mixed in with the metric.

back to the tire question, I have Cokers on my 39 Knuck, and have been riding the bike quite a bit. I can see though that I will be needing tires for this in maybe a year or so. Depends on the miles I get out of this set before I decide to try soemthing else. At this time I have no complaint about Coker other than they are expensive to ship to Hawaii from the mainland.

The folks at Coker advised they would work with me to get the best rate to ship in and with that I'd probablly order 2 sets.

If there is somethign else that gets better milage I sure would like to hear about it.

Thanks for your reply.

Comment

For what it is worth, I put a new set of cockers only 62 fl last year and they are doing great. Got about 3000 mi with no problems. Been across the smokies twice 2 up and the ride,road grip and performance in wet conditions did very well. Rear tire wear looks good.

Comment

Working...
                                X