Gilroy Indians and The Indian Motorcycle Club of Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gilroy Indians and The Indian Motorcycle Club of Australia

The following editorial is in the current "The Indian News" of The Indian Motocycle Club of Australia, Inc. The writer is the publication editor.

1953 -- End of story

The recent events regarding club eligibility definitions resulted in a somewhat unsavory period of time leading up to the Special General Meeting called to consider the resolution to change the club rules.

The initial debate was ignited by Phillip White's item in the November Newsletter titled "Club at the Crossroads" where Phillip took up both sides of the debate. Some members who own, or intend to purchase Giroy Indians, gave their support to the debate insisting that their machines were club-eligible.

At the November meeting there was a spirited discussion, and to prevent continued confrontation over the issue, and to allow the members their democratic right to decide the future direction of the club, there was a motion put to define club eligibility to those machines manufactured up to and including 1953. This motion was put to the vote and, of the 40 members present, 39 voted in favor, thus giving the Committee a clear mandate to take the steps to formulate, circulate and present the necessary amendments at a Special General Meeting.

At a further meeting of the Committee on the 13th February it was resolved to hold the Special General Meeting on 25th March to consider the resolutions to amend the rules. There was significant lobbyiing conducted in the four weeks prior to the Special General Meeting and a number of distateful inferences and allegations made -- including claims of impropriety against the Club Secretary, criticisms of the manner in which the process was being conducted and attempted intimidation of club members.

The issue from the outset was not whether a Gilroy Indian was a "real" Indian or not, but was in fact simply what motorcycles the majority of the Club membership wanted the Club to cater for. The final vote, which incidentally was 143--16 in favor of the change, was an overwhelming indication of what the vast majority of the club members desired. To then receive offensive emails directed at the Secretary, and indirectly the Club, was disappointing in the extreme.

It was also very disappointing that the democratic voice of the majority of the members was not respected by those who did not necessarily share that opinion. Had the resolution not been carried (it only required 26% to defeat it) it would've resulted in the club being dictated to by a minority, with expectation that Gilroy Indians would have been welcomed into the fold. The same inclusive attitude has not been evident from some members since the outcome of the meeting.

The process employed as strictly in accordance with the Club rules and Corporate Affairs, as confirmed by legal advice, and to allay any continuing misconceptions regarding the conduct of the process, the committee would welcome anyone still dissatisfied with the result to inspect the records of the resolution voting.

It was in fact, a case of changing the rules so the club could remain the same.

Barry Curley
    Jerry Hatfield

Mr. Hatfield, I post this with all due respect. Please know that I am in possession of all your books pertaining to Indian Motorcycles and value your opinion and research highly. As one trained at the graduate level in research I appreciate the work you did. I own one of each (Springfield & Gilroy), most likely will wind up with a King's Mountain Indian one day (as soon as I get my son out of college!). I tire of this particular type of diatribe. I find it inflammatory in nature. Usually, it is brought up to berate individuals as if to say, "See, I have found some more evidence to prove my point." It's like laying in a ditch looking down at people. I am not stating you offered this missive in that spirit, however one has to ponder to what end this information is useful in a venue such as ours? In a time when OUR club seems to be searching for ways to increase membership, it would seem counterproductive to subscribe to exclusice tenents such as described in this article. I know many members of OUR club own Gilroys as well. The first was made in 1999, before we know it they will be elegible for judging. I find this discussion ironic as the club we belong to now will be judging Gold Wings. Perhaps we should change to the "The Antique Motorcycle Club of International Manufacture." Like it or not, the Gilroys were made on American soil, and despite all their warts and blemishes, hold a place in American motorcycling history, however you, I or anyone else feels about them. But I digress...Please beat me up gently, I know I have not been in the club long, so that is how the discussion usually begins as to the validity of my viewpoints as I don't know "How it has always been here". I only hope I live long enough to watch my son show my 2002 Gilroy Chief at a club function, unlikely that either one of us will live see that. Just like I never thought I'd live to see the day bikes made in Japan be elegible for the exact same thing. I have been around and owned Indian's my entire 57 years. Third generation Indian Man here. I am ready for the 16 or so pages of comments this topic will receive, and accept that my viewpoint will be in the minority, as I am not an older member nor an esteemed author such as yourself sir. Thank you for your years of tireless service to our chosen brand. You sir have made a difference.
    Pete Cole AMCA #14441
    1947 Indian Chief

Comment

Pete,
      I think you are getting yer panties in a wad over nothing. Jerry simply posted the Australian Indians position of who they wanted in their club. Nothing more. I see no slam by Jerry on this issue. If you are interested in hearing slams about the poorly constructed Gilroy Indians it shouldn't be hard to find. I can give you a couple of instances where I had to deal with them. But this is not a place for that because they don't qualify until they reach 35. Which may be a hard thing for them to do.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Pete,
        I have looked for years and have yet to find where the term "Made in America" is part of the AMCA name or mission. Perhaps you could show me where that is?
        Robbie
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Old bikes or not?

My take on the article, and I may be wrong, was that they wanted to remain a club for vintage Indians. Here's another way to look at trying to make a club that includes everyone. For a number of years I have belonged to a "vintage" MC club that has a cut-off of 20 years old. Used to be the meets had a lot of old bikes, but anymore you wouldn't know it was a vintage meet if you didn't see the signs. Last meet I went to, most of the conversations were about '80's era Kawasakis and Yamahas, ZMCRXYZ's or whatever, and I wondered what I was doing there on a '53. Recently the club roster came out, and reading what bikes were owned by the members, lots of late '70's and '80's stuff, made it clear I was in the wrong place. A nice group of guys, but obviously our interests are completely different, so I chose not to renew this year. The whole idea of a club is to bring like minded individuals together, is it gonna be old bikes or just bikes?
          Doug.

As long as I'm on a rant, I might as well keep goin' and pi** everyone off. I believe the 1960's were a watershed era for motorcycles in general, and that by the end of that decade bikes of all brands were starting to become a whole different animal. You can guess where I think the cut-off should be.
          Doug McLaughlin #6607
          NorCal, USA

Comment

That's right, Doug. Recently a nice guy wanted to join our Dallas/Ft.Worth BMW club. But he didn't currently own a BMW. Our club president enforced our membership criteria, and the guy's request was denied. Our club president said "Either we're a BMW club or we aren't." Right on!
            Jerry Hatfield

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Hatfield View Post
              That's right, Doug. Recently a nice guy wanted to join our Dallas/Ft.Worth BMW club. But he didn't currently own a BMW. Our club president enforced our membership criteria, and the guy's request was denied. Our club president said "Either we're a BMW club or we aren't." Right on!
              CAN I JOIN IF I HAVE AN EMW? IT'S NOT MY FAULT GERMANY WAS PARTITIONED!

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Brown View Post
                CAN I JOIN IF I HAVE AN EMW? IT'S NOT MY FAULT GERMANY WAS PARTITIONED!
                EMW? Isn't that some kind of bird?
                Doug McLaughlin #6607
                NorCal, USA

Comment

Working...
                X