Sweet '39

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet '39

For those of you who haven't already seen it.....here's one very cool machine..... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1939-...item2c54b022c5 Any thoughts on what it might go for?
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

ill bet it doesn't go at all. 39's are not that expensive. i think the guy has his friends who know what the reserve is bidding on it to get some action and excitement going. and it worked. lets watch and have fun.

Comment

We chatted with the seller over at CAI. He's wanting 100K. It's a very interesting piece with a lot of history and documentation. If the right buyer shows up, who knows? And Flat, you're correct as he may have some ghost bidders in play. Fun to watch, though.
      Last edited by Mr. Big; 05-24-2010, 10:17 PM.
      47 WL
      51 Ls Sidecar
      03 FLHT
      http://www.gouldingsidecars.com

Comment

Obviously shill bidding going on! Look at the bid increments. Nonetheless, IMO, 1939 was the best paint job on a knucklehead. But 100k, no way! If it brings that, mine is up next!!!

Comment

thats funny!!!! i always loved that paint too

Comment

tryin to decide whether or not to put in a bid or take the money and buy a house.

Comment

Originally posted by sludge View Post
              tryin to decide whether or not to put in a bid or take the money and buy a house.
              Sludge,
              Put a bid in if you win you can sleep in the hack problem solved
              Chuck
              AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Sludge
                No need to sleep in the hack when you will have a nice wood structure to build a shack
                Jim

Comment

I passed on buying a 36 Knuckle for $2500 back in 1979. I thought that was too much money.

Comment

Originally posted by Bills37 View Post
                    I passed on buying a 36 Knuckle for $2500 back in 1979. I thought that was too much money.
                    I don't remember prices from '79 (probably cuz I was still pulling the girlz hair on the playground....) but I can recall seeing $4500-$6500 dollar Knuckleheads circa mid to late '80's. I wish I'd have known they were going to go up like rockets!!! But why would you want that Knuckle when you could have this '14 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1914-...item1c12cb7a40 it comes with it's own glass case!! My Mom says that I was born in the wrong era......... I'm thinkin' she's right....
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

At least with that one you can tell the misses you bought some "art" for the livingroom!
                      AMCA 15783

Comment

Well it brought over $100,000. 39's are just not that expensive? ghost bidders? If it brings that mines up next? There was NO shill bidding. I know the gentelman who purchased it AND the underbidder. You guys sling words around when you don't even know the seller or the market... it's called supply and demand. Not trying to be negitive but it is what it is, these are FACTS & you can't argue with results. Next time... THINK before you post.

membership #4885

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient-Grease View Post
                          Well it brought over $100,000. 39's are just not that expensive? ghost bidders? If it brings that mines up next? There was NO shill bidding. I know the gentelman who purchased it AND the underbidder. You guys sling words around when you don't even know the seller or the market... it's called supply and demand. Not trying to be negitive but it is what it is, these are FACTS & you can't argue with results. Next time... THINK before you post.

membership #4885
                          1. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I don't think anyone was being overly negative. That is why this is called "Parking lot chatter". I don't know why you are sensitive about it?
                          2. You know the winning bidder, and the underbidder? That makes it sound even more fishy for shill bidding since you can't see who bid on it. Not calling you a liar... just what I see.
                          3. The bidding was a bit suspicious in how it went up so fast, so early. If you watch most auctions, the real serious bids come in the last hour, or less. I would grant that if I were interested in this machine, I would probably bid a little bit right up front so that the seller doesn't sell offline because they don't think it is moving fast enough.
                          4. $100K is a lot of money for a '39, no matter what the condition. That is territory that in the past has been reserved for only a very few '36's, so when a much less sought after model brings that kind of cake, it raises some eyebrows, especially in this economy.
                          5. I was the one that said "If it brings that, mines up next". While I don't have the crate, it is every bit as nice of a bike. Now, I was joking a bit because mine is not for sale and I never intend on selling it, but I could buy 50 pefectly restored Honda Dreams for that kind of money!

Comment

Originally posted by Bills37 View Post
                            There was a 36EL for sale in the Milwaukee paper around 1971 for $1500. That too seemed expensive at the time but I did realize what a prize it was. Not sure if it was stock or chopped as I never saw it. Knucks were $300-400 at that time.
                            Herbert Wagner
                            AMCA 4634
                            =======
                            The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

I always wondered what if I was buying Indian 4's and HD belt drives instead of Pans, Knuckles, and Chiefs back 30 years ago? I would probably be retired (retarded?) today. Oh well back to work......
                              Louie
                              FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
                              Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
                              YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Working...
                              X