6 volt replica battery...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 volt replica battery...

I am looking for a 6 volt battery for a 1955 panhead. Apparently there is a shell type setup out there somewhere...I heard it was made in Cleveland, OH...please send me any info you have....

battery shell

the battery shells are very nicely made.Price w/sealed battery was $200.at Oley.Contact Jeff at bergogi@gmail,com Photos at caimag forum under electrical.
    good luck,Bob
    Last edited by chibobber; 05-24-2010, 10:59 PM. Reason: wrong name

Comment

I checked those out and will vouch for the quality of them. He does a real nice job ! Paps

Comment

I put a sealed battery inside an old case. Looked good and worked good for a few hundred miles untill it exploded. I do not think that the sealed batteries can take the constant charge without regulation as is the case with the 3 brush generator. Maybe good for a bike that aint rode a lot. I also tryed a sealed battery in my 47 with a 12 volt Cycle Generator and Regulator. It lasted for a few thousand miles before giving out. For now I will stick to conventional batteries.

Bob Patza
        amca 13275

Comment

Originally posted by bobphd View Post
          I put a sealed battery inside an old case. Looked good and worked good for a few hundred miles untill it exploded. I do not think that the sealed batteries can take the constant charge without regulation as is the case with the 3 brush generator. Maybe good for a bike that aint rode a lot. I also tryed a sealed battery in my 47 with a 12 volt Cycle Generator and Regulator. It lasted for a few thousand miles before giving out. For now I will stick to conventional batteries.

Bob Patza
          amca 13275
          I have been using an original battery case with a gel-cell type of 6v. battery intended for emergency lighting equipment for about 7 years now. No problems. The surplus quality batteries last about 5 years and are small enough to have a charged spare one in the tool box (Never had to use the spare one). If the bike's charging system is a mechanical regulator system (1936-onwards Lucas CVC) no problem there. With a Lucas 3-brush system battery overcharging can be avoided by using the "C" switch position (1/2 charge - due to the resistor in the circuit - no lights on) or the "Off" position (no lights, no charge from the dynamo).

Al Johnson
          AMCA # 674

Comment

6V battery

I have 6 bikes running that need the H-2 type battery and 6 more yet to build and I just get them from the local HD shop. They seem to last especially since I have battery tenders on all of them. They do not leak at the top and seem reasonably priced at around $72 per. I also buy them when they pop up on ebay and have gotten them for as little as $40 per. I keep 4-6 on the shelf and the same goes for ones for my VL's. I spoke to old timers who ran or worked at battery repair places when they used to rebuild them and they say that the lead plate batteries are still the best and can take the charge which a lot of the modern batteries just can't handle as reported above. I stay away from ones made overseas (India,China) although HD's are made in Japan from what I hear but at least they hold up for about 5 or so years and don't spew acid out all over your ride. That's what works for me.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
            AMCA # 12766

Comment

I just purchased Jeff's set up last week. I haven't installed it, I'm not ready yet.
              I found him at Oley & was surprised to find out he lived about 10 minutes away from me.
              I enjoyed talking with him, good guy. I was thinking of coring out an old battery to avoid acid, so I was glad to get it from him. He knows what he's doing & the quality is excellent.
              Bob
              Bob

Comment

Working...
              X