To contact members in your area ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To contact members in your area ?

I've been thinking about a post I read on here from a new member about a month ago. He was asking how he'd go about meeting/contacting other members in his geographic area. It was suggested he contact his closest chapter and to join that. While that's one logical starting point, there are many reasons some members won't do that. Here's three that come to mind:

1. Local chapter located too far away to be able to participate

2. Some people just aren't "joiners" and it may have been a big step to join the AMCA in the first place

3. Some people are at a stage in their lives, or have a job that precludes them from being active members of a chapter at this point in their life

So here's my real question or suggestion. All active members are listed only one way on this site - numeric/alpha. Many members choose not to include their address or much info at all in their profiles for various reasons.

What would be the harm of also listing members by state. By listing just the user name and state no personnel info is being given up, but when a member (new or old) wants to contact people in his/her area that obviously have a common interest in old bikes, he/she could at least PM them if he knew what state that person lived in.

This seems so simple that I'm probably overlooking something here so here's your chance to endorse or condemn the idea.
    AMCA 15783

When I started our chapter, I took a National roster which was listed for the entire membership in alphabetical order and looked at every single name and address, recorded the same for those in my area and sent out letters to everyone, about 85 folks I believe. We ended up with 13 original members and that was our start seven years ago.

The roster is published every two years I believe, alternating between alpha listings and state listings. However, if you contact Trudi Johnson-Richards she can send you a listing for your state(s).

I would suggest just using the alphabetical listing. It is much more interesting and time-consuming.

Either way, that is your start. Once the folks get their letter, it is up to them to reply - that is the gauge of their interest. Of our original 13, we still have 10 - one dropped out, one moved quite far away and one is deceased.

You will never know the interest in your area until someone gets the ball rolling and from what I am reading, that someone could be you.
    Lonnie Campbell #9908
    South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

It would help if Chapter presidents could be automatically informed by the membership secretary of any new members that join in there chapters area.

Pete Reeves 860

Comment

I am new to the club and live in the Middle TN area and wondered how to get in touch with local members. The closet chapter is Memphis and is just too far to participate on a regular basis. Such a listing would be very helpful to me.
        Bob Selph
        1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
        1940 Sport Scout
        AMCA#15215

Comment

Good point Pete, I actually thought that I'd automatically be contacted by the nearest chapter but there seems to be a gap between the national club and the chapters in that regard. Unfortunately, the nearest chapter is about 7 hours drive away anyway. That's what happens when you choose to live in the boonies.

Lonnie - that's good to know. This is only my second year so I had no way of knowing that the listings would change to "by the state" next year. In today's data base driven world it seems strange that the listings aren't available to search via several different criteria. By the way, good luck with your upcoming meet!
          AMCA 15783

Comment

My 2008 roster shows there are close to sixty members living in Maine. Time to start writing.
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

NW Maine, I am a big fan of the philosphy that says why do it now if you can put it off until tomorrow, but why don't you get started now why it is fresh on your mind? There is a certain amount of legalities even after you get your group (8 people is a minimum, I think), but it is not that difficult. You will need to incorporate under the AMCA banner. You will also need by-laws which are not hard since there is no reluctance on the part of other chapter to share theirs for your benefit. I had great assistance from the Blue Ridge and Big Sandbar chapter officers and directors. Get your group together first to gauge their interest and to try and determine what they foresee the direction the chapter should take.

Our chapter monthly rides are mini Road Runs and we always have a blast even for that one day. We also have an annual Three Chapter involving the chapters from SC, NC and GA which involves an overnight or two stay and is the highlight of our annual calendar!

DrSprocket said it quite well when in another thread said that you get out of it what you put into it.

Or, as our late member and director, one of our original 13, Tim "Granny" Scoggins often said, "Just git 'er done!".
              Lonnie Campbell #9908
              South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Lonnie - at some future point that might well happen as I'm currently president/director of one local action group that I started, and have started a couple of vehicle enthusist clubs in the past (remember the custom van craze of the 70s - I have very fond, but hazy memories!) . However, at this moment of time and in this economy my job causes me to be on the road 4-5 days every week, with almost no exceptions. When you travel that much there's very little time to get done what you NEED to get done (ask my wife!) never mind what you'd LIKE to get done. I'm one of those guys who's not content to just join a club, I always have to get fully immersed in a club if I'm going to bother to join. As the economy improves I'll hopefully be able to get back to a more normal travel schedule. Staying employed and paying the mortgage, health insurance, and putting food on the table is JOB 1 at the moment. If nothing else, I'll hopefully be able to retire in about 7-8 years and then I'll need activities such as a local club chapter to keep my mind from becomming too idle.
                AMCA 15783

Comment

Working...
                X