No announcement yet.

AMCA Foundation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry....but IMHO.... it is really about a funding source for the club and great advertising possibilities for the backer. Paps

Comment

Originally posted by bmh View Post
      They did throw a nice shindig for themselves, free barbecue and all. Me and a couple other locals found out about it and showed up. No one asked us to leave. But it was kinda clear we really didn't quite fit either.
      when somebody asks ya to leave a party or bar, that's when ya know ya had a good time, when they tell ya never to come back, hell, ya had a great time! doesn't sound like it was much fun there...

Comment

Carolina Mustard or Texas Sweet ?

Originally posted by bmh View Post
        Same as they invited everyone to the Hershey opening gala. Short notice and no advertising. They did throw a nice shindig for themselves, free barbecue and all. Me and a couple other locals found out about it and showed up. No one asked us to leave. But it was kinda clear we really didn't quite fit either. Funny thing, they didn't have the money to stay in Hershey is what I heard so who is paying for this new from the ground up world class facility? How is someones bike on display there if the museum isn't finished? I've worked in both the commercial and high end building game my whole life and the opening date is less than 3 months away, I didn't know Ty Pennington was available. And the contractors are working over peoples vintage bikes???? Hope someones insurance certificate is up to date. Personally I think John Param has done as much as anyone to try and help the common man with this hobby. Why not team up with him at his National Motorcycle Museum in Iowa? Dirty rotten politics most likely.

Dang biker types, crashing a perfectly nice BBQ !
        William McClean
        AMCA # 60

Comment

If you want to get an idea of a "Foundation" that is an adjunct to a club check the web site for MAFFI, "the Model A Ford Foundation Incorporated". The Inc. is important because it is the "for profit" arm of the non-profit club, Model A Ford Club of America (MAFCA). Their web site is www.maffi.org. I'm sorry that I'm not smart enough to post a link.

While I have not read the AMCA Foundation charter and mission statement, I'm sure it is very similar to MAFFI and set up to support and expand the AMCA. Unlike the AMCA, MAFCA holds annual elections for the club officers and directors that are voted on by the general membership. However, there are no such elections for MAFFI and it is I believe a closed and self-perpetuating board.

In any case, I'm not saying anything for or against these foundations except to merely indicate they are "for profit" entities and whatever they earn is apart from the non-profit clubs but are founded to promote the base club.

Steve Ciccalone

Comment

I will hold all final judgement untill I see this new endeavor personally. But it sure would seem the "sponser" is going to get the better end of this deal for the time being. Maybe we will stop in on the way back from Rhinebeck, if it's open sunday afternoon. Can't make this grand opening as we will already be in rhinebeck friday, I know they will be dissapointed in the fact I can't attend this one.
            Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

If I understood correctly this split was because the club was making money from its magazine being sold publicly. But now that the magazine is no longer publicly sold why not drop all this and go back to our roots?
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris,

Not exactly. To be a non-profit, the AMCA Club can't actually make money. It must more or less spend what it takes in to keep its non-taxable 401(C)(3) status. The chapters had to incorporate as well and basically can't maintain large treasuries or lose their tax status. The Foundation however is a "for profit" and will seek donations to raise money in the form of money, bikes, literature etc. to promote the antique motorcycle hobby. That is why the boards are split now. It will be the Foundation that takes the lead on the museum rather than the Club.

Steve Ciccalone

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                  If I understood correctly this split was because the club was making money from its magazine being sold publicly. But now that the magazine is no longer publicly sold why not drop all this and go back to our roots?
                  Chris
                  it was not the magazine sales that started all this.
                  the club according to the Fed's "makes money" from the national meets by collecting $20.00 per vending space from the host chapter and membership fees. even thou the Fed's had issued us a 501(C)(3) they said we were not and changed the club to a 501(C)(7) which is a not-for-profit membership club. they MADE us start the foundation which is a 501(C)3) non-profit organization, which has no members.
                  the foundation can accept donations which are tax deductable for the donor. they only can give money to other 501(C)(3) organanizations.
                  Last edited by kval; 04-03-2010, 10:25 PM.
                  Kevin Valentine 13
                  EX-Chief Judge

Comment

Thanks Kevin,
                    The FEDS just have to ruin everything don't they. Must be jealousy.
                    Be sure to visit;
                    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                      Thanks Kevin,
                      The FEDS just have to ruin everything don't they. Must be jealousy.
                      Friends, I tend to favor using the clubs conventional print media to keep all members up to date on the Foundation's goings on. But I have been reading the recent posts on this forum and respectfully would like to make some comments. The lease with the AACA Museum (a separate foundation entity from the AACA Club) had a certain renewal option period built in to enable the AMCA board the opportunity to review their committment to fund it, based on their view of whether the project remained in the best interest of the club. Keep in mind that the lessee was the Foundation because the AMCA club was not legally entitled to sign the lease themselves for legal reasons too stupid to go onto here. The Foundation used its legal status as a 501c/3 to act as surrogate for the club, and the club in turn agreed to fund the monthly rent and expenses for the 1st term of the lease which was 14 months. The Foundation paid the down payment. When the 1st term ended, the club's board voted to terminate all funding based on their belief that the expense of renewing the lease was not in the best interest of all the membership. This vote is recorded in the minutes of the clubs annual board meeting. The Foundation (the lessee) then was faced with the decision of whether to renew the lease on their own without the club's financial backing, or go in a different direction. The Foundation is a relatively new entity and has no reliable source of income other than the interest generated from their endowment. (that is the money derived when the IRS forced the split, most of which is still intact and safely invested). At first, we tried unsuccessfully to renegotiate more favorable terms with the AACA Museum. It was then that 2 of the Foundations board members, Jerry and Ted Doering, generously offered the Foundation the use of the facility they own in NY. They are funding all aspects of getting the place up and running. I have been reading with dismay the negative comments about "Taiwan Ted" and such and it really pains me. They are both enthusiastic and caring long time AMCA members whose only motivation in this endeavor is to give something back to our club. This facility when complete will rival anything else the motorcycle world currently has to offer. In contrast to the AACA Museum arrangement, this will not be a "room in the basement of a car museum" as I have heard it referred to. It is a motorcycle only museum featuring AMCA members machines as well as many other historic motorcycle related displays. It will be called The Museum of Motorcycle History. Before this museum can be officially opened, however, it must meet all legal requirements imposed by our big brother, such as handicapped access and such. That will take some time to complete. However, the museum will offer an unofficial "preview" tour on Friday afternoon during the Rhinebeck meet for club members. At least that is the current plan. Final arrangements will be made and announced at Rhinebeck. An official grand openeng will occur at some later as yet undetermined date. My message to all you good forum participants is to reserve judgement until you see the results. Give it a chance. I think you all will be pleasantly surprised. Oh, and by the way, that was my dad's hat. I like to wear it on very special occasions in remembrance of him.
                      Dennis Craig
                      President, Antique Motorcycle Foundation, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by dcraig View Post
                        Friends, I tend to favor using the clubs conventional print media to keep all members up to date on the Foundation's goings on. But I have been reading the recent posts on this forum and respectfully would like to make some comments. The lease with the AACA Museum (a separate foundation entity from the AACA Club) had a certain renewal option period built in to enable the AMCA board the opportunity to review their committment to fund it, based on their view of whether the project remained in the best interest of the club. Keep in mind that the lessee was the Foundation because the AMCA club was not legally entitled to sign the lease themselves for legal reasons too stupid to go onto here. The Foundation used its legal status as a 501c/3 to act as surrogate for the club, and the club in turn agreed to fund the monthly rent and expenses for the 1st term of the lease which was 14 months. The Foundation paid the down payment. When the 1st term ended, the club's board voted to terminate all funding based on their belief that the expense of renewing the lease was not in the best interest of all the membership. This vote is recorded in the minutes of the clubs annual board meeting. The Foundation (the lessee) then was faced with the decision of whether to renew the lease on their own without the club's financial backing, or go in a different direction. The Foundation is a relatively new entity and has no reliable source of income other than the interest generated from their endowment. (that is the money derived when the IRS forced the split, most of which is still intact and safely invested). At first, we tried unsuccessfully to renegotiate more favorable terms with the AACA Museum. It was then that 2 of the Foundations board members, Jerry and Ted Doering, generously offered the Foundation the use of the facility they own in NY. They are funding all aspects of getting the place up and running. I have been reading with dismay the negative comments about "Taiwan Ted" and such and it really pains me. They are both enthusiastic and caring long time AMCA members whose only motivation in this endeavor is to give something back to our club. This facility when complete will rival anything else the motorcycle world currently has to offer. In contrast to the AACA Museum arrangement, this will not be a "room in the basement of a car museum" as I have heard it referred to. It is a motorcycle only museum featuring AMCA members machines as well as many other historic motorcycle related displays. It will be called The Museum of Motorcycle History. Before this museum can be officially opened, however, it must meet all legal requirements imposed by our big brother, such as handicapped access and such. That will take some time to complete. However, the museum will offer an unofficial "preview" tour on Friday afternoon during the Rhinebeck meet for club members. At least that is the current plan. Final arrangements will be made and announced at Rhinebeck. An official grand openeng will occur at some later as yet undetermined date. My message to all you good forum participants is to reserve judgement until you see the results. Give it a chance. I think you all will be pleasantly surprised. Oh, and by the way, that was my dad's hat. I like to wear it on very special occasions in remembrance of him.
                        Dennis Craig
                        President, Antique Motorcycle Foundation, Inc.
                        Dennis, let me be the first to thank you for weighing in, .. and note that I said "nice" of the hat. Kudos on your reverence for the old block!

Your presence in the discussion is very valuable, and I hope that you can find time to check in again. Be sure to let us all know what the Foundation's needs are, and especially when things reach critical times, if they ever do. .. I agree with your move to the Doering facility, btw, with reasonable skepticism. Most of us have only the trust factor to work with, and you have mine, but only because of the hat!

Comment

Dennis you quoted;
                          “I have been reading with dismay the negative comments about "Taiwan Ted" and such and it really pains me. They are both enthusiastic and caring long time AMCA members whose only motivation in this endeavor is to give something back to our club. This facility when complete will rival anything else the motorcycle world currently has to offer.”

Funny choice of words you use. Just think how much it pains the customers that buy some of their substandard products. Instead of giving something back to the Club, I would suggest they start out small & practice giving back money to dissatisfied customers, unless everybody is just making up those stories.

Regards Dave (BNSONS)
                          Bustamante & Sons #5189

Comment

Foundation bylaws

Roger Smith has promised to load the bylaws onto the Forum in the next few days.

Comment

Thanks Dennis

Thanks for the post Dennis. I explains some of the questiosn that I had, moreso than from any other conventional Club source.

I fully understand your favoring the "clubs conventional print media " for communication. The difficulty is that this occurs only quarterly, at best. Questions raised by the posted minimalist BOD minutes that are reported really create more questions than are answered, and by the time the new magazine is finally in the mail boxes months have passed, leaving the Membership to wonder and speculate with only partial information.

Sadly, we are left to glean information about Our Club and Our Foundation from other cyber sources. Like the revelation of the move of our museum to new digs and the planned Opening Ceremoies to be held as well as the recent announcement of the new Culture Club Class of AMCA trophies to be issued, as reported on other people's web sites.

{ Sorry, I guess the Culture Club Trophies should be addressed by the AMCA Club Board , not by the AMCA Foundation }
                              Last edited by William McClean; 04-06-2010, 08:21 PM.
                              William McClean
                              AMCA # 60

Comment

Bylaws of the Antique Motorcycle Foundation, Inc - #1

Good Morning -

I have received requests for the Bylaws of the Antique Motorcycle
                                Foundation to be published. They appear below and
                                in subsequent posts (#2 - #3) due to the large amount of
                                text.

Sincerely,
                                Roger Smith, AMCA 1718
                                Secretary, Antique Motorcycle Foundation

THE BYLAWS OF THE ANTIQUE MOTORCYCLE FOUNDATION, INC.

ARTICLE I.

PRINCIPAL OFFICE

The principal office of the corporation shall be located at the City of Lakeland, in Polk County, Florida. The board of directors of the corporation from time to time may move the principal office of the corporation to any other place, and may establish other locations for the attainment of the corporation's purposes. The registered office and registered agent of the corporation shall be as set forth in the Articles of Incorporation of the corporation, but the board of directors may change the registered office and registered agent from time to time as provided in the Florida Not for Profit Corporation Act, as amended.

ARTICLE II.

MEMBERS

Section 1.
                                The corporation shall have no members whatsoever.

ARTICLE III.

BOARD OF DIRECTORS

Section 1.
                                The conduct of the affairs of the corporation and the attainment of its purposes shall be managed and guided by the board of directors of the corporation.

Section 2.
                                The corporation shall have not less than three (3) directors, with the exact number of directors to be fixed from time to time by resolution of the board of directors, and each director shall be elected by the board of directors at the annual meeting of the board of directors. Each director shall hold office for a specified term of one (1) year, or until his or her successor shall have been duly appointed and qualified, or until his or her sooner resignation, removal from office, or death.

Section 3.
                                The board of directors may hold annual, regular, or special meetings either within or without the State of Florida.

Section 4.
                                No person shall be a director of the corporation unless he or she shall be a natural person who has attained to the age of eighteen (18) years.

Section 5.
                                A quorum of the board of directors consists of a majority of the whole number of directors to be fixed from time to time by resolution of the board of directors. If a quorum is present when a vote is taken, the affirmative vote of a majority of directors present is the act of the board of directors. A director of the corporation who is present at a meeting of the board of directors when corporate action is taken is deemed to have assented to the action unless he or she objects, at the beginning of the meeting or promptly upon his or her arrival, to holding the meeting or transacting specified affairs at the meeting or he or she votes against or abstains from the action taken.

Section 6.
                                A majority of the directors present, whether or not a quorum exists, may adjourn any meeting of the board of directors to another time and place, and notice of any such adjourned meeting need not be given to the directors who were not present at the time of the adjournment nor to the other directors if the time and place of the adjourned meeting are announced at the time of the adjournment.

Section 7.
                                The board of directors may permit any or all directors to participate in any annual, regular, or special meeting by, or conduct the meeting through the use of, any means of communication by which all directors participating may simultaneously hear each other during the meeting. A director participating in a meeting by this means is deemed to be present in person at the meeting.

Section 8.
                                Action required or permitted to be taken at a board of directors' meeting or committee meeting may be taken without a meeting if the action is taken by all members of the board or of the committee. The action must be evidenced by one or more written consents describing the action taken and signed by each director or committee member.

Section 9.
                                The annual meeting of the board of directors shall be held during the first quarter of each calendar year, and regular meetings shall be held at such times as may be fixed by resolution of the board of directors. Special meetings of the board of directors may be held on the call of the President or a majority of the directors. Written notice of each special meeting shall be given by the Secretary to each director at least three days prior to the meeting. Attendance of a director at a meeting shall constitute a waiver of notice of such meeting and a waiver of any and all objections to the place of the meeting, the time of the meeting, or the manner in which it has been called or convened, except when a director states, at the beginning of the meeting or promptly upon arrival at the meeting, any objection to the transaction of affairs because the meeting is not lawfully called or convened.

Section 10.
                                A director may resign at any time by delivering written notice to the board of directors or its chairman or to the corporation. A resignation is effective when the notice is delivered unless the notice specifies a later effective date. If a resignation is made effective at a later date, the board of directors may fill the pending vacancy before the effective date if the board of directors provides that the successor does not take office until the effective date.

Section 11.
                                Any vacancy occurring on the board of directors may be filled by the President of the corporation. A director appointed to fill a vacancy shall be appointed for the unexpired term of his or her predecessor in office. A vacancy that will occur at a specific later date by reason of a resignation effective at a later date may be filled before the vacancy occurs, but the new director may not take office until the vacancy occurs.
                                Last edited by RSmith; 04-06-2010, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X