Orig paint 36 HD / Varnish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orig paint 36 HD / Varnish?

I have an orig paint 36VLH that looks to have varnish over the paint. Anyone know if this is from the factory, or something someone added later? Thanks!
    Attached Files

Originally posted by silentgreyfello View Post
    I have an orig paint 36VLH that looks to have varnish over the paint. Anyone know if this is from the factory, or something someone added later? Thanks!
    i heard once that they used shellac (bug sweat) over the pinstripes (for durability i would guess), but i have my doubts since i think it would have reacted badly with water over time....but lots of bad ideas came and went (Hindenburg comes to mind).

Comment

Harley advertised in the VL era that their enamel paintwork was finished with Copal varnish. This Copal was also available as a spare part through the accessories catalog. The 'good old reliable shellac' was used for gasket jointing, and also available in spare part cans.

Comment

I have been so tempted to remove the varnish, as where the varnish is missing, the paint is very bright. I guess if it came from the factory that way, then it should remain.

Comment

Envious Problem to encounter

Originally posted by silentgreyfello View Post
          I have been so tempted to remove the varnish, as where the varnish is missing, the paint is very bright. I guess if it came from the factory that way, then it should remain.
          Dear SilentGreyFellow;

Sell me the 36 and I will contemplate the issue over time in my shop
          I have read somewhere in my library that Harley did shellac paint jobs...can't remember exactly where it is referenced right now and when the Motor Company stopped. I know they did it in the teens. Maybe another AMCA member has better memory? Mr. Wagner where are you?

Jealous AMCA Member
          Steve Klein
          AMCA 12176
          Cherokee Chapter
          Georgetown TX
          Steve Klein
          Collector . Conservator . Enthusiast
          American Pre-teens - 1965
          AMCA Member 12176
          Cherokee Chapter President, Editor
          www.CherokeeAMCA.org
          Steve@SteveKlein.com
          Georgetown, TX USA

Comment

When I took a lot of pictures of the Factory 1936 VLH when it was at the York museum, it appeared to me that there was a brush on coating that covered only the decals on the tank. That was back about 1978, shortly after the museum opened.
            Rick Morsher, aka Earl
            AMCA #1905

Comment

They did shelac in the early days... I just didn't think it continued until 1936. The shelac would come off very easy, in fact it is flaking off in some areas. I hit the top of the taillight with a little rubbing compound and what little was left on there came off very easy. It is so dang tempting to just hit the whole bike. If I knew 100% that it wasn't applied by the factory, I would take it off, though it has kept the paint in incredible shape till now.

Comment

LH Pic

another pic
                Attached Files

Comment

I agree with Steve. That machine is in painful condition and should be sold ASAP before begins to fall down in pieces.

Comment

My original paint export green bike has a covering on top of the paint that looks like a varnish/lacquer it has a brown tint to it which I believe is the result of exposure to sun light as the area under the tool box that has not been exposed to light is much lighter.
                    I am positive this coating was applied at the factory.
                    Pete Reeves 860

Comment

Silentgreyfellow,

How long have you had that bike? A very similar one left here in my area (Michigan) not more than a couple years ago, if so, I am very familiar with it's history.

Actually I just pulled out some pictures of it.....same bike. I you want to know some of it's history, and people to contact that know about it from further back email me direct tfaber@fabercycle.com
                      Last edited by fabercycle; 03-30-2010, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Tom, I have had it less than a month. It came out out of the midwest (Ohio?). It would be great to know the history. I'll email you. Thanks.

Pete, Yes, it should be scrapped or at least parted out. I would want at least 10 bucks for the rectangular toolbox. My Dad had a 35 VLD when he was dating my mom in the 50's, though it was much more of a rat bike / bobber with no flip on the rear, no front fender, etc.
                        Last edited by silentgreyfello; 03-30-2010, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Whoa.....

Originally posted by Chris in Japan View Post
                          I agree with Steve. That machine is in painful condition and should be sold ASAP before begins to fall down in pieces.
                          Hey, Hey, Hey..... I have first dibs on the bike Chris in Japan....besides shipping costs are really high to the land of the samarai

Steve Klein
                          AMCA Member 12176
                          Cherokee Chapter
                          Georgetown TX
                          Steve Klein
                          Collector . Conservator . Enthusiast
                          American Pre-teens - 1965
                          AMCA Member 12176
                          Cherokee Chapter President, Editor
                          www.CherokeeAMCA.org
                          Steve@SteveKlein.com
                          Georgetown, TX USA

Comment

if it did happen to be shellac, then it should come off with a little rubbing alchohol. there was an artical about the use of shellac on old signs on the letterhead web site (sign painters and lettering types hang there) on how to remove it etc, and an interesting story about shellac in general (been around since the pharos i guess).

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
                              Harley advertised in the VL era that their enamel paintwork was finished with Copal varnish. This Copal was also available as a spare part through the accessories catalog. The 'good old reliable shellac' was used for gasket jointing, and also available in spare part cans.
                              I have a 1913 brochure that showes both Shellac-Cement to coat engine pulley ,cementing rubber grips on handlebars and White Transparent Copal for protecting and finishing re-enameled parts (exactly the same we use on new machines)

Steve
                              Steve Cornish AMCA 6971
                              TO MANY CLEVER PEOPLE NOT ENOUGH WISDOM

Comment

Working...
                              X