1915 Militaire Cannonball Run Engine Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1915 Militaire build

Hey Militaire fans we have another one of our weekly updates on our 1915 Militaries progress. This week JaDon and I were in the school’s CNC machine shop to mill the bearing housing to make sure our saddles fit properly. First we had to tram the head of the mill to make sure it was level on the Bridgeport table. We then used an interapid indicator on our motor case to make sure the case was even and not twisted during the welding that took place. Once we had checked out the case (and breathed a big sigh of relief no twist found) we securely fastened the case to the table. We then indicated in the motor to the table of the mill. JaDon and I then carefully used the Bridgeport to mill down the housings and bearings one at a time. Once the bearings and housings were milled downed to the same height we removed the bearings from the housings. With the bearings out of the housings we took off an additional .0005" from the case to achieve a slight crush factor between the bearings. We have
    new studs for our case and we are getting very close to floating our crankshaft.
    We also need to hone the bushings of the camshaft because we need a .004" clearance between the shaft and bushing. We found a tight clearance of .001" between the bushings and the camshaft. This weekend I will be at Mr. Hill’s shop working with a Berco B-T6 hydropneumatic line boring machine. We are still waiting on our crankshafts that are expected to be here tomorrow, so until next week enjoy our photos and this update on our great 1915 Militaire!

Comment

1915 Militaire Build

Another Militaire update for you all. May 22nd was an auspicious day; graduation for the boys and Jim Dennie brought up his frame and transmission to make sure that the engine/ transmission would fit well in the frame.The transmission was fitted to the lower case/crankshaft assembly and all lined up well. The unit was placed on the frame and the frame marked for the location of the motor mounts. It has been determined that the flywheel has some issues in terms of its truness and this will be address by machining the end true. In addition, intake valve pocket issues have been identified, more on this later. At this time Mr. Hill and I would like to extend kudos to Matt Wach, JaDon Spooner and Chris Browning, students who devoted considerable time and energies to a effort to restore a unique and classic antique motorcycle to running form capable of completing a coast to coast run; all without any reward other than the satisfaction derived from restoring something to its original form. Photos below depict the crank and camshaft floating in the lower case, the Militaire transmission identification plate, various transmisiion and magneto photos.crank/camshaft
      Photobucket
      Photobucket
      Photobucket
      Photobucket
      Photobucket
      Photobucket
      Photobucket
      Photobucket

Comment

Awesome stuff! do you guys think you can git it all done in time for the run? Sure hope so, I hope to be there and seeing the Militaire come in at the finish would be a real hi light. Looking real good so far, great work - keep at it, best of luck!

Comment

Millitaire engine # 136 is up and running she fired to life on the third kick (2 primer kicks) and settled into a nice idle. It is of to Jim to install. I will have Nick post the final report with pics. What a great sound she is ready for cannonball.

Mark

Comment

Right on, well done! Awesome stuff - go Militaire !!

Comment

pics

I am going to try some pics of the engine.

Mark

Comment

1915 Militaire Cannonball Run Engine Build

Well, August 8, 2010 saw the running of the 1915 Militaire engine that has been a long term project. Picture below show the engine, in front of my house ready to go. After we ran the engine, we drove it to Alexandria Bay where it was delivered to Jim.PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Comment

Wow, nice work guys can hardly wait to see this perform

Comment

All that work and he made you deliver it! the mind boggles!

Comment

Working...
                    X