What's Left Out There?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Left Out There?

My son and I were in the big city (Calgary, Alberta) yesterday and I got a few pics of a building that I've wondered about for awhile. With all the development I was hoping that the brick building was still there to take photos of. I negotiated through traffic to the lower east-side of downtown and at first was a little worried. I hadn't been to this section of the city for quite sometime and the demolition sites and new construction had me a little worried. When we finally got to the spot I was relieved to see it was still standing! All the buildings just shy of one before the brick structure are gone! It's construction site after construction site now. Fred Deeley was a major early importer of motorcycles into Canada. He started off with bicycles as these photos show. The Deeley name has been around a long time and they are still an importer of Harleys today. I started this thread hoping that others may have current photos of the remains of motorcycle shops and or factories in their respective areas. What's left out there?

Last edited by c.o.; 03-14-2010, 10:01 PM.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

The old Indian factory at 12-14 Mercer St. in Toronto, Ontario, Canada is still there and in use as an office building and a UPS depot.

AFJ

Comment

Is there any tell tale signs that it was the Indian factory? I've got old artists renditions of the building but it would be interesting to see what it looks like today.
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
        Is there any tell tale signs that it was the Indian factory? I've got old artists renditions of the building but it would be interesting to see what it looks like today.
        The building looks just the same but the supposed Indian sign that one sees in the c1913 catalogue illustration is not in evidence - I think that it was an artist's add-on and never actually was on the building. Indian progressively used fewer and fewer floors of the building as the years went on, vacating it in the early 1920s.

AJ

Comment

AJ.... Thanks for the history! If those old buildings could tell us tales..... I'll have to dig the picture of the factory out. It seems to me the artists rendition had quite a bit of lettering on those bricks...
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
          X