More Comfortable Seat Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Comfortable Seat Option

Don't know about anyone else on this forum, but I have never ridden an antique motorcycle 250 miles a day for several days in a row as I will on the Motorcycle Cannonball Run.
    I prefer as much comfort as possible when riding, so I have given a lot of thought to my seat.
    I want something that looks basically correct but is more comfortable than a stock 1915 Harley saddle. So I called my pal Wayne at Heathers' Leathers and asked if he could build me a seat with a custom twist. The twist is building a sheepskin cover with a gel pad sewn into it so it is invisible.
    He said yes, and it showed up today. Here is the seat and the removable sheepskin/gel pad cover.

Here it is from underneath showing the lace up design. I believe he can custom make others to fit various size and shape seats.
    The way we designed it I can ride on the regular seat with the gel pad (to soften the ride) under the sheepskin for comfort and a bit more padding. It takes less than a minute to attach or remove the sheepskin cover.
    I expect Wayne would make more of these if you want one for the Motorcycle Cannonball or any other long distance riding. But remember he is a VERY small shop and can handle only so much business.
    For more info read my full description and more photos on the Classic American Iron Magazine site. Wayne's contact info is:
    email sales@heathersleathers.com
    phone (803) 222-3452
    I plan on riding this event in as much comfort as I can and believe this invention of ours will help.
    Buzz Kanter
    Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
    [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
    [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

hey nice take on the old Cheapskin & gel bicycle seat cover, I sold a lot of these back in the early 90's for the seniors cruiser beach bikes,when I had my shop, the only problem with them is they would shift & bind up from peddeling but the lacing looks like it might hold better on this & of course there would be no peddleling to shift it, Nice work
    Joe

Comment

Originally posted by 45OZ View Post
      hey nice take on the old Cheapskin & gel bicycle seat cover, I sold a lot of these back in the early 90's for the seniors cruiser beach bikes,when I had my shop, the only problem with them is they would shift & bind up from peddeling but the lacing looks like it might hold better on this & of course there would be no peddleling to shift it, Nice work
      Joe
      And I thought I finally had an original idea! :-(
      Buzz Kanter

Comment

It might help to get into shape for this long grind by riding a bicycle daily for weeks beforehand with a simple leather seat. Toughen you up in all ways but esp. your rear end.
        Herbert Wagner
        AMCA 4634
        =======
        The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
          It might help to get into shape for this long grind by riding a bicycle daily for weeks beforehand with a simple leather seat. Toughen you up in all ways but esp. your rear end.
          Herb, you been looking a the videos of my out of shape butt? :-)

Actually I think you are more right that any of us oldsters want to admit. Got to lose 30 pounds and firm up everything left.
          Buzz Kanter

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz Kanter View Post
            Herb, you been looking a the videos of my out of shape butt? :-)

Actually I think you are more right that any of us oldsters want to admit. Got to lose 30 pounds and firm up everything left.
            No, I haven't seen that video.

Figure these old motorcycles are still rather bicycle like anyway and that training on a pedal bike will not only toughen you up while slimming you down, but will also hone your balance and riding skills in a simple easy manner.

I put a gel seat on my road bicycle, altho Kasten's bicycle shop guy Tom said it's better not to. Don't know. Have a gel seat on my R75/6 BMW and that helps. It should help on an early motorcycle too. But getting into long distance riding shape may help even more.

Good luck!
            Herbert Wagner
            AMCA 4634
            =======
            The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Got calluses?

Buzz...Great idea for using gel and sheepskin. Its still a long way between the start and the finish on anything less than what LazyBoy builds I am envious but will not have calluses on my posterior.

All The Best

Steve Klein
              AMCA Member 12176
              Cherokee Chapter
              Georgetown TX
              Steve Klein
              Collector . Conservator . Enthusiast
              American Pre-teens - 1965
              AMCA Member 12176
              Cherokee Chapter President, Editor
              www.CherokeeAMCA.org
              Steve@SteveKlein.com