A Result of Watching too Much TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Result of Watching too Much TV

This is what happens when uninformed people watch TV. Anyone with an old bike thinks it is rare.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-...item1c1044fa59

is it just me or does that guy look like BEAN the comedian? they probably are rare in their neighborhood. probably won't find one without going 3 or 4 streets over

Comment

But Duuuuuuude Man! Awsom!
      AMCA #3149
      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

The sad thing is that someone will buy it, and spend $4800 restoring it (or more), and it now qualifies for AMCA judging. Next year we'll see that thing in the Winner's Circle at Oley.

Who's laughing now?

BTW, how did they get away with using the Indian name on those?

mike

Comment

Originally posted by schmittm View Post

mike
          What a joke,
          I always thought that the bike was a Floyd Clymer import but I looked it up & it seems it was his lawyers idea after he died I found this info on the indian history website;

The final chapter of this saga occurred in 1976 when the Indian Indiana was offered for sale. This was a Ducati chopper with Indian logos! Apparently Floyd Clymer's lawyer Alan Newman shared the dream and a few years after Clymer's demise, with ideas of Norton and Royal Enfield engines in Italian frames still in his head, but with the English companies having died out by then, why not an all Italian sports bike in the Indian logo? The chopper phase of motorcycles was still in vogue then so this would not be a stock Ducati with Indian badges. Only one prototype was built and it is still in good condition. Although the bike was advertised and seen in magazines, it seems Ducati were not keen on pursuing the concept. At the time I thought this was a "cool" bike and wondered where I could buy one, (I bought a new Triumph Bonneville instead). If anyone has a copy of any 1976 magazines (e.g. Motorcycle Sport Quarterly or any Buyers' Guide to New Models) with a photo of the Indiana, please Email me a scanned in copy. Cycle World I think recently ran a story on it but the photos were taken from angles which made the bike look ugly. As I recall the article said that Ducati refused to cooperate with such a non pure sports bike venture. From the side it did not look bad as I recall from twenty years ago.

Mr. Newman was also a pragmatist and saw the market for mini-bikes, and still owning the Indian name and logos he contracted with a manufacturer in Taiwan to make Indian mini-bikes from 1971 through 1976. Indian had their own factory in Taipei, and used Minarelli, Morini and Fuji engines of 50 c.c. through 175 c.c. Early models were called “Indian Four”, trying to cash in on the fame of the prewar Four, but actually referring to 4 stroke engine rather than four cylinders.) Sales were good in the beginning, with over 20,000 sold during the 1972/73 season. In Jan. 1977 the Indian name was sold to American Moped Associates, who continued to use the plant in Taiwan unitl about 1982 when they sold out to Mr. Carmen Deleone (who is mentioned elsewhere in this website). As a result, Manco go-karts were made with the Indian name on them for a year. To your right is a photo of a 1978-82 made-in-Taiwan Indian which I took at a rally in the year 2000. It says Four Stroke on the side. For more details on the Indian mini-bike era see http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/the1970indianmotorcycle , and thanks to their web author for the above info.

Comment

So..........which one of you guys asked him the question?

I am not sure but the tail light looks close to a late 60's yamaha
            Chuck
            AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Did ya'll notice the question someone asked, and the response?

"Q: what are you smoking
              A: you are a nut case pale ty for your bad advice retard."

The question I get......The answer......well that pretty much sums up who your dealing with.
              Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Originally posted by flat-happy View Post
                is it just me or does that guy look like BEAN the comedian? they probably are rare in their neighborhood. probably won't find one without going 3 or 4 streets over
                He does look like Mr. Bean.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

My friend has one of those. It was ours for years. It has been in his barn for the past 10+ years. 4 speed gearbox but I can't recall whether it had a two or four stroke engine. I'll check with my friend to verify. Fun to ride but if ya weighed in over 200 lbs., it wouldn't pull you up a hill. Paps

Comment

The guy listing that bike needs a spell checker more than anybody I have seen. What an ignoramus.
                    Be sure to visit;
                    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by schmittm View Post
                      The sad thing is that someone will buy it, and spend $4800 restoring it (or more), and it now qualifies for AMCA judging. Next year we'll see that thing in the Winner's Circle at Oley.

Who's laughing now?

mike

Mike your right. Some one will buy it. You can sell an American anything! Just the right pitch is all that’s needed. Just look on the boob tube. When you can sell sharpeners for disposable razors, your on to something. W.C. Fields was spot on! Bob L
                      Last edited by Robert Luland; 02-21-2010, 07:33 PM.
                      AMCA #3149
                      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Hmmmmmmm

i wonder if he would consider my 46 in trade.............?
                        1946 chief 1948 chief 1948 wl 1950wl 1941ulwith sidecar 47 chief(in the works)65bsa

Comment

Originally posted by cheifrider View Post
                          i wonder if he would consider my 46 in trade.............?

Well..............I suppose it can't hurt to ask.......that is.....if you want to

Then again, I have a 1980 Honda twin star 200 with 789 original miles,paint tires and the factory tools a little rust here and there BUT it's very restorable! if you are intrested and would consider throwing in some money along with that OLD Indian I might consider it.......let me know it's going to be a collectors item you know...and they only go up in price.
                          Chuck
                          AMCA Member#1848

Comment

chuck , i am plumb out of cash, but would you consider the 46 and the 48 ?i have a basketcase 47 motor that i MIGHT be able to let go to.regards,tom
                            1946 chief 1948 chief 1948 wl 1950wl 1941ulwith sidecar 47 chief(in the works)65bsa

Comment

Chris.......you're right, there's nothing that makes a person look stupid like not being able to spell.

Comment

Working...
                              X