Indian Restoration Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Restoration Book

Anyone know where I can buy a copy of Jerry Hatfield's updated version of his Indian restoration book?Thanks

I got mine at Davenport in 2008, they are on e-bay occasionally, and of course from Starklite.
    Pete Cole AMCA #14441
    1947 Indian Chief

Comment

http://www.starklite.com/indian-moto...Books-c163.htm

Comment

I ordered my copy from Starklite also. It is well worth the purchase- Neil

Comment

Originally posted by neilert View Post
          I ordered my copy from Starklite also. It is well worth the purchase- Neil
          DITTO here......
          CHIEFJ48
          MEMBER #2786

TO THE WORLD YOU MAY BE ONE PERSON, BUT TO ONE PERSON YOU MAY BE THE WORLD.

LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE NUMBER OF BREATHS WE TAKE, BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE OUR BREATH AWAY

Comment

Book

Thanks alot guys,I have a 47 Chief in boxes,taken apart a/b 40 years ago.I want to put it back together to make it easier to sell---I have enough other projects,I hope the book will help.

Comment

It won't help very much. The book has some Ok pics. but is far from what I would consider a Restoration Guide. It is very unorganized and Very Incomplete in Many areas. That being said, I have referred to mine from time to time over the past 15 years or so!
              http://laughingindian.com/
              http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
              A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

definitely not a good book to try and assemble a bike with. There are a lot of good pictures, but it is very incomplete and inconsistent in many areas. There are also contradictions on what is correct and what is not. In my opinon this book needs to be refined further, and more information needs to be added. If you want to see a real restoration guide look at the 650 page book," How to restore your Harley Davidson". Someone needs to put a book together like that for Indians.

Comment

I would agree with the above posted comments as far as a 47 is involved there may be 3 pages at most of information related to a 1947 Chief. I don't know about how helpful it is about other years because I own a 47. In fairness to Jerry, if you read the preface he states that the book is not all inclusive and invites comments and suggestions via his publisher. And I must add I am not disapointed witgh my purchase.
                  Pete Cole AMCA #14441
                  1947 Indian Chief

Comment

Buy a parts book, as it will list All the parts, and have exploded views. i use one to restore my '48 chief judged @99pts.

good luck!!!
                    CHIEFJ48
                    MEMBER #2786

LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE NUMBER OF BREATHS WE TAKE, BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE OUR BREATH AWAY

Comment

The best I have found chiefj48, is an old Jerry Greer, but any of them are good.
                      Pete Cole AMCA #14441
                      1947 Indian Chief

Comment

A parts book certainly helps but there are other none factory type books available as well. When it comes to Indians, I've found you need a few books. Try to pick up a copy of Bernie Nicholson's "Modern Motorcycle Mechanics". They show up on ebay. There are a few different print dates. Try and get one a year or two after your year Chief and you'll definitely find some info you need.
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by micmac View Post
                          The best I have found chiefj48, is an old Jerry Greer, but any of them are good.
                          i have used Greer's book, plus Kiwi's book...i think if you get all three you will have all the bases covered...
                          CHIEFJ48
                          MEMBER #2786

Comment

Working...
                          X