American Pickers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LouieMCman View Post
    I watched the show a couple times and enjoyed it. But started to think when they pulled in uninvited to the house of the 88 year old woman who was nice and pleasant and they was having a good time cutting up with her and then they started their roaming around and finding stuff they wanted and named their own prices (low of course) and she agreed with everyone of them. It just seemed to me that she was not all there mentally and they took advantage of her. What if someone did that to your 88 year old mother? The other old guys seem to be on top of the game but not the old woman. And how come everyone they visit is OLD? OK, lets here from the vendors about how it's a free market ....yada. yada. yada.
    You're right Louie, decent people don't do that; however, Vampires do, pimps do, and politicians do. That's great company to be in.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I like'ta have cried when they got the samuri sword off the ol' tiimer. He was obviously very ill and not running on 8 cylinders. They also beat him out of a beautifl saddle they knew was valuble. I have some similiar items in my possesion from a different Uncle Sam high school trip. I rarely look at them, but they mean something to me. I'm sure they have a value to someone who deals in such stuff. Old folks are thrilled , especially when they live alone when someone stops by and gives them a little attention. These guys pay attention untill it's in the van, then split. They also keep a list of individuals to harass and contiinue to call repeatedly until they cave. In my way of thinking, and you don't have to agree, this is predatory behavior.

I was looking at Craigs list yesterday, part of my daily routine now that I'm retired, and I almost fell outta my chair. I saw some hubcaps that I have been looking for at least 5 years for my 1963 Chevy Pickup. The price was lower than they ever are anywhere. I called, it was an ol tmer. I went over yesterday to where he was several counties away. He talked to me at least a few hours. This show kept flashing through my mind while we talked. When it came time to settle up I handed him some mony folded up, it was double the asking price. He told me I had paid him too much. I explained how long I had been looking for them, and how much they were worth. He told me that after I had called, he had recieved at least 20 calls, some form as far away as New York trying to get them. He told me he had considered calling me and cancelling the deal because things get tight in the winter with heating bills and such, and getting more money now that he realized the value, but he believed a man's word is his bond. He wanted them to remain locally, and on someone's truck who wasn't going to re-sell them and make a profit on him. I told hime I was never getting rid of the truck, and my boy who is in college now has definate designs on it. What I paid him didn't hurt me at all, and I know he needed the money, or he wouldn't of had his daughter put em on CL. In the process I made a friend, and after I plugged iin my shiney new sleep apnea machine, I slept quite well thank you. I am not an angel, I just got a conscious. I think of someone dealing with my parents in such a manner (both deceased) and my blood boils.
      Pete Cole AMCA #14441
      1947 Indian Chief

Comment

Pete you’re a good man & people that pray on others have to live with themselves. But I think by the time a show reaches the TV. stage it has to have certain elements for success. If it was about two guys traveling around handing out cash for goods it would be like watching the security cameras at Wal Mart, not very interesting until they catch a shop lifter. Behind the scenes you don’t know what’s involved. I don’t think I would be caught on TV taking cash.
        Regards Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave, yer a pretty good guy too . I thiink anyone would've done the same thing in my shoes. When your parents die, you begin to realize your mortality, and see things from a different perspective. I was very fortunate to have been able to plan for retirement and not rely only on Social Security. I believe that would be a hard way to go.

That beiing said, I understand the "not takng cash on tv" thing!

Pete
          Pete Cole AMCA #14441
          1947 Indian Chief

Comment

There was a nice old guy in Orlando that collected vintage motorcycles back in the 50s and 60s when they were cheap and unwanted. It wasn't a big collection but he had some nice bikes and a good pile of parts. He was what you would call an enthusiast and he loved to shoot the breeze about life and motorcycles. In other words, a nice old gentleman. I had an aquaintance who invested a year to soften-up, set-up, and finally pounce on this old man's collection. This guy actually had the gall to show me the things he got and bragged about how cheap he got them. When he showed me a perfect Corbin speedo that he got for $25 I told him what I thought of him and have not heard from him since. This weasel was a regular church goer too who wouldn't hesitate to judge people for what he thought was non-Christian behavior. This guy was the worst I've known but I have seen a fair number of people forget that there is a human price on some of this stuff. Like Pete said, a good night's sleep is worth a lot more than a $25 speedo.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by micmac View Post
              I was looking at Craigs list yesterday, part of my daily routine now that I'm retired, and I almost fell outta my chair. I saw some hubcaps that I have been looking for at least 5 years for my 1963 Chevy Pickup. The price was lower than they ever are anywhere. I called, it was an ol tmer. I went over yesterday to where he was several counties away. He talked to me at least a few hours. This show kept flashing through my mind while we talked. When it came time to settle up I handed him some mony folded up, it was double the asking price. He told me I had paid him too much. I explained how long I had been looking for them, and how much they were worth. He told me that after I had called, he had recieved at least 20 calls, some form as far away as New York trying to get them. He told me he had considered calling me and cancelling the deal because things get tight in the winter with heating bills and such, and getting more money now that he realized the value, but he believed a man's word is his bond. He wanted them to remain locally, and on someone's truck who wasn't going to re-sell them and make a profit on him. I told hime I was never getting rid of the truck, and my boy who is in college now has definate designs on it. What I paid him didn't hurt me at all, and I know he needed the money, or he wouldn't of had his daughter put em on CL. In the process I made a friend, and after I plugged iin my shiney new sleep apnea machine, I slept quite well thank you. I am not an angel, I just got a conscious. I think of someone dealing with my parents in such a manner (both deceased) and my blood boils.
              Good on ya, Micmac !
              William McClean
              AMCA # 60

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                There was a nice old guy in Orlando that collected vintage motorcycles back in the 50s and 60s when they were cheap and unwanted. It wasn't a big collection but he had some nice bikes and a good pile of parts. He was what you would call an enthusiast and he loved to shoot the breeze about life and motorcycles. In other words, a nice old gentleman. I had an aquaintance who invested a year to soften-up, set-up, and finally pounce on this old man's collection. This guy actually had the gall to show me the things he got and bragged about how cheap he got them. When he showed me a perfect Corbin speedo that he got for $25 I told him what I thought of him and have not heard from him since. This weasel was a regular church goer too who wouldn't hesitate to judge people for what he thought was non-Christian behavior. This guy was the worst I've known but I have seen a fair number of people forget that there is a human price on some of this stuff. Like Pete said, a good night's sleep is worth a lot more than a $25 speedo.
                That's a horrible story. It has me reflecting on my comment on how the T.V. show guys have the best job in the world. I mean look at all the cool old stuff that turns up! I wasn't thinking on the business aspect as much as the "hunt" I guess. My perfect world would be to not have to work and to be well enough to do to scour the earth for old motorcycles. Low balling folks for their treasures isn't really up my alley. I hit auction sales, garage sales, estate sales, antique stores and swapmeets. I know a picker or two and I usually like to touch base with them to see what they've collected but I'm usually pretty sure that the price they want from me is more than what they paid for it. (of course!) Every once in awhile I get a deal but I've never scooped a $25 Corbin. Unless it was a close friend that was cutting me slack and it was my turn to owe him one, I just don't think I could handle the sleep loss....
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

well i finally saw a couple of the shows,i dont know why anyone would whine about it .its a entertaining show to watch.and lets face it, most of these very interesting older folks could just as easily be on the hoarders program. frank and mike ,are picking some of the cool junk ,before it all gets sent to the dump. the show reminds me so much of my uncle cole.he was a picker for god knows how long. he was away from home at least 6 months out of the year. when i was a kid i was lucky enough to go with him on summer vacation ,and work my ass off.he'd stay out for months at a time .fill up the truck ,throw it in a storage unit somewhere,and fill up the truck again, etc., etc. these were some of the best times i can remember. the awesome people we would meet,and the cool stuff we would see.all older folks ,who had tons and tons of crap,collected over a lifetime. believe me, the stuff we picked back then was killer compared to some of the stuff mike is finding nowadays.i agree ,the thrill of the hunt was much more fun than the actual buy.i've known mike for years ,and he has found me some killer stuff ,and i always pay fair market value or less.the guy you see on the show is the same guy i've always known him to be.
                  Last edited by jurassic; 02-09-2010, 12:05 AM.
                  www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Keep in mind that these "victims" on the show are folks that answer an ad in the local newspaper so that they can get on TV, looking for their two minutes of fame. The notion of going snooping around and looking in windows is all staged. There is a film crew of five people plus Mike and Frank, and three or four vehicles. It's entertainment, folks... oh yeah, the saddle that one guy apprasised for close to $4,000... He was way wrong. Mike put it on ebay and it went all the way to $240.

Comment

I don't think it hurts the industry, it may even do some good.....
                      But I still can't watch it.

(I can't stand anything but cartoons; My favorite superhero was "The Sewer Urchin". [b]Now there's a righteous "picker"![.b])

....Cotten
                      AMCA #776
                      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I don't think it hurts the industry, it may even do some good.....
                        But I still can't watch it.

(I can't sit for anything but cartoons; My favorite superhero was "The Sewer Urchin". Now there's a righteous "picker"!)

....Cotten
                        AMCA #776

Comment

I have a totally different take on this boob tube ****! How to produce a show spending the least amount of money possible. It’s better than Jerry Springer reruns but not much. This show just like the Pawn Shop show were invented to compete with PBS ON The Road Show. It’s amazing how every time some one comes into that hock shop. The owner produces an expert on the subject right off the Vegas strip. These two guys in the Pickers I just see as predatory leeches! I really wonder how many times these two ding dongs have looked down the business end of a twelve gauge strolling onto someone’s property.
                          AMCA #3149
                          http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

i'd rather watch the forums trash each other like a big soap opera than see someone else turn up old iron

Comment

Originally posted by flat-happy View Post
                              i'd rather watch the forums trash each other like a big soap opera than see someone else turn up old iron
                              Another forum trashed this one?

Let me guess: CAI?

....Cotten
                              AMCA #776

Comment

It's all theater. I watch too much Home And Garden Television; they show a problem, build up hope, provide a solution and alls well at the end of 30-minutes ...or an hour for Holmes on Homes. I enjoy picking them apart when camera angles gloss over the details; and why not plug the Pawn Shop into eBay? Like someone is going to walk into a Las Vegas pawn shop and buy a lottery ticket signed by George Washington.
                                I might be a lot further along on my JD if it were not all this televised eye-candy. Maybe this is what is supposed to happen at 68? ...bill in oregon
                                Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Working...
                                X