American Pickers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Pickers

Hello Boys & Girls, Let me be the first to congratulate Mike Wolfe & Frank Fritz on their new show! I am a ( blow your tv up ) guy myself, so I cranked my pc up & watched online. I enjoyed it, it was fun, humorous, & entertaining!!! For those of you who don't know these fine upstanding citizens, I have purchased premium parts & toys for prices way under the norm from these two. Frank helped me deliver some racing gear to Davenport last season & saved my A$$ !! They are good ole boys! Thank you & keep Pickin' Congrats!! Carl Estes Pusherman Racing
    Last edited by big jesus 151; 01-21-2010, 04:30 PM. Reason: I'm a dumba$$

Interesting - Different view

I enjoyed the show, but noticed on The ABC Morning Show yesterday
    that they mentioned the "critical comments" coming in about the Pickers
    content and procedures.

So I checked the History Channels own webpage and found this link -

http://boards.history.com/topic/Amer...tory/520089612

Interesting how different folks opinions can be .........

Comment

I was all geared up to watch the show and when I got myself over to the television I realized very quickly that the History Channel for my area didn't have "American Pickers" on their roster! I was pretty bummed. Are you saying Carl that the show is available online?
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Yes Sir, I just googled it up. It wasn't up for view on the History Channel site. First time I ever watched the tube on the web, it sure did accomodate my schedule, not bad. Thanks Carl

Comment

I checked the History Channel link & read all the negativity. Would someone please throw them a towel !!! Carl Estes Pusherman

Comment

I missed it

"Maybe the History Channel will understand this isn't how you treat
            American Veterans, who are 88 years old, with Cancer who can hardly
            walk. Contact the them or the Iowa Attorney General ... "
            Munchdog, Denver, Colorado 1/18/2010

I guess I missed something .... I enjoyed the show but your right,
            there are some red hot folks out there.

Comment

I'm going to make time later to sit and watch this show. Carl you were right it's online! Thanks! Here's the link for anyone who might have missed it... http://www.history.com/video.do?name=American_Pickers
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

I can grasp both the evil and the good of the program,
                or at least what I watched of it before it frustrated me.

Or maybe I was bored, as every day I scrounge.
                (The difference being I spend no money for precious garbage. Dickering is for dxxxs.)

I won't criticize the effort at all,
                Yet I am honestly not anxious to watch it.

But give it a chance, for even "Married With Children" turned out "OK" after a few seasons.

That is the nature of entertainment.

....Cotten
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I liked it.
                  You gotta laugh about the do-gooders on the webpage. As mentioned, the people answered ads in the local papers for participants. They are asked what they want for it.
                  Next thing you know we'll have full disclosure laws about how rummage sales are to be conducted.
                  BTW....the prices quoted for values on this show and "Pawn" are optimistic not an actual sold price. We all know there can be a big difference.

Comment

I have known Mike Wolfe since the early 90's when I lived in Davenport and he owned a bicycle shop there where he displayed many of his antique bicycles. He may rub a few the wrong way because of his aggressiveness, but he is not a thief as those people eluded to in the forum. Most of the show is staged... it is entertainment folks! If they didn't put something in the show with a little shock value, nobody would watch it. It's all about getting people to keep coming back to boost ratings. As for Mike and Frank, they are no different than 100% of the members in the club, just looking to find a great deal. The difference is that they are doing it for a living.

Comment

I rather enjoyed the show. The bleeding hearts on that blog went a little overboard with their comments. They should focus on more important things to complain about. Nobody has to sell anything if they don't want to. If you scan through the various clips on the web-site it's apparent that they don't always fair well with some of the folks they encounter. In my mind Mike and Frank have the ultimate jobs! If they don't get the stuff somebody will eventually or worse yet it could end up at the local garbage dump!
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

I watched a few episodes last night and don’t understand why any one would be against what Mike and Frank are doing. I always assumed we all do what they are doing. When out for a ride if I see someone with a lot of old interesting machinery setting around outside, I’ll stop and say howdy. What's wrong with that?
                        ------------
                        Steve
                        AMCA #7300

Comment

It IS what every person in this club does.....and it's called capitalism, which some people in this country are against.

Comment

Originally posted by fabercycle View Post
                            It IS what every person in this club does.....and it's called capitalism, which some people in this country are against.
                            Almost IS, maybe.

I, for one, have no money for "pickin" from fellow packrats.
                            (When's the show on free dumpster treasure coming out?)

And as a member of the vintage motorcycle industry, it is my policy NOT to wheel and deal artifacts. It would be a conflict of interest with all of my best customers and associates.
                            (Liberty only offers services, and retails only NOS, professionally reconditioned, or modern manufactured hardware associated with those services.)

Yes, I collect history and nostalgia, but my windfalls are trophys that I keep.
                            If I tire of them, then I trade them, or give them away.
                            Speculators should wear a patch over one eye.

....Cotten
                            Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-26-2010, 05:37 PM.
                            AMCA #776
                            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I have a bit of a different view than those who believe a show like this will raise the prices of our beloved parts. Parts is parts, why care where they came from? The more of them found will increase the supply. Which will in turn lower the prices.

Maybe this show will convince a few of the older gents to go thru their stashes now and put all those stashed parts back into the supply side of things before they end up being the ones who get “picked”.
                              ------------
                              Steve
                              AMCA #7300

Comment

Working...
                              X