HD JD I-beam fork facts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2camtom View Post
    Sorry to interrupt this thread, but seeing that You - harlecreation - has acces to old factory papers regarding orders to the above importer in Denmark I tried to Pm You but your mailbox is full. Therefore I'll try this way:
    Hello Herbert
    I read in the I-beam fork thread that You have acces to factorypapers describing bikes ordered by Friis-Hansen, Copenhagen. In 1992 i found most of an twocam motor here in Denmark. Since then I've been collecting parts to finish a bike. The motor is now ready, but as I don't know what kind of bike it was intended for, I'll start making a street 2-cam and try it on the road. Then maybee later it could bee restored back to what is was. I got a I-beam fork as well. The engine no is 30FHB 806 is it posible for You to find any paper saying it was ordered by or delivered to Friis-Hansen? and send me a print of it ? I could use it as a kind of proof of origin and import to Denmark.

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...8&d=1260211573

Regards
    I'll dig into my files and see if anything else on Friis-Hansen's Denmark Harleys turn up. Very glad you found that "30FHB-806" motor and have a good use for it. Reading old newspapers is a good way to find out what a given racer was riding and when.

Well, a quick glance at 1930 racing models does NOT list a "30FHB-800" motor. Only this: "30FHAD-500" (3-speed racer--export pocket-valve)."

I think you've got a special order motor there, oh baby!

Two in one day, ain't that something?
    Herbert Wagner
    AMCA 4634
    =======
    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Sorry to interrupt this thread, but seeing that You - harlecreation - has acces to old factory papers regarding orders to the above importer in Denmark I tried to Pm You but your mailbox is full. Therefore I'll try this way:
      Hello Herbert
      I read in the I-beam fork thread that You have acces to factorypapers describing bikes ordered by Friis-Hansen, Copenhagen. In 1992 i found most of an twocam motor here in Denmark. Since then I've been collecting parts to finish a bike. The motor is now ready, but as I don't know what kind of bike it was intended for, I'll start making a street 2-cam and try it on the road. Then maybee later it could bee restored back to what is was. I got a I-beam fork as well. The engine no is 30FHB 806 is it posible for You to find any paper saying it was ordered by or delivered to Friis-Hansen? and send me a print of it ? I could use it as a kind of proof of origin and import to Denmark.

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...8&d=1260211573

Regards
      2camtom:

Your motor "30FHB-806" is a model that Harley-Davidson does not list for 1930, therefore your motor does NOT exist. Sorry, I can't help you.

Just kidding. Ho boy! You've got a special rare bird there. I had to dig back some but found the "FHB-800" offered only in 1925-'26-'27.

Your motor is a special "80-cubic inch Hill Climb" engine. Not sure how it will work as a road motor if you plan to ride it.

Even tho it wasn't listed for 1930 and hadn't been officially listed (built?) since 1927, your "806" number suggests at least SEVEN were built in 1930. Who'd of thunk it?

Still digging for a Friis-Hansen connection. Can you tell us: Was Friis-Hansen a popular & well-known racer back then? Do you know anything about him? Did you get the forged I-beam fork with the FHB motor? Do you have hills in Denmark tall enough for a hillclimb?

You've got a REAL dream-baby prize there, esp. since it should not exist in the first place. But this does prove without doubt that if Harley-Davidson liked you, you could get anything you wanted if they had the parts to build it. Even, apparently, models they hadn't listed/built for some years.

I would really like to get a better high-res photo of that "30FHB-806" serial number to document its fabled existence.

Nice....
      Herbert Wagner
      AMCA 4634
      =======

Comment

FHB motors in Scandinavia

Hi Tom and Herbert.
        Have followed this thread with interest and in particular the last topics.
        I dare to remind that I have mentioned before on this board that I have for years tried to get loose a Norwegian twin cam racing engine from -32, engine number starting with 32 F.
        I have the entire engine number written down but I cant find it right now (have tried tough). Tom should know this too as I have spoken with him on this matter at a couple of occasions at the Herning swapmeet in Denmark.

There must have been quite a few twincam racers in Denmark and I assume Tom have seen pics availiable of some of those at the HDK1930`s web page?
        I have allso found pictures of several other twincam engined racers in Denmark that are not amongst the photos mentioned above.

I think the Scandinavian importers like Friis Hansen and the Swedish Lindblad as well as Norwegian Sorensen & Balchen bought a fair share of Harleys trough the twenties and hence where well known at the factory and could get specials whenever they asked for such at later years.
        I would allso think that the factory didnt mind getting rid of the twincam racing parts to remote Scandinavia as long as those bikes where not allowed to race in the US?

Herb;
        Any information you have on figures for export to Scandinavia is of interest.

Regards
        Sverre
        http://AmericanMotorcyclesNorway.blogspot.com
        And then there is the idea that we are here on earth to get a certain amount of things done before we die.
        This is a great theory.
        If it is true, I am so far behind that I will never die...

AMCA-3489

Comment

I recently sold my 2 cam engine "28 FHAC 500" to an American gentleman who wanted it so badly he offered telephone numbers for it. Serious money that I could not justify turning down.
          I've still got 31 CA 501 and 31 CA 503 both 500cc ohv single motors but my genuine deflector plate 8 valve cylinder has gone to another American who is making a 4 valve single racer around it.
          I've still got quite a bit of nos 2 cam and 8 valve parts, some for sale, some not for sale but available for patterns if someone needs them.
          Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
          A.M.C.A. # 2777
          Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

fhb

I can agree in what Sveger says. Friis-Hansen was for many years the importer in Denmark,and ther has been quite a few 2 cams in denmark in the early 30'es. I'm a little ashamed to tell that for ca 18 years ago I might have had acces to the Friis-Hansen arcives, but didn't follow it up. I know of one 2 cam racer in south of Sweden 26 FHB 800
            in running condition and another one in Sweden is said to have no. 31 FHB 803 ???
            I'm aware that it might be imposible to use the engine "on the road", but I want to try the
            motor to feel what it is like. Therefore I've changed the cams to a set from 1928 street 2-cam. The I-beam fork I found another place in Denmark.
            Herbert if You pm me your mailadress I can send you some better pics.
            regards
            Tom

Comment

Friis-Hansen's 30FHB

2camtom:

So what became of the Friss-Hansen archives?

Can you tell us more about Friss-Hansen? What were his years? Accomplishments? He must have been some racer.

Altho I don't have absolute definitive proof, I do believe your "30FHB-806" motor might have belonged to Friis-Hansen. There is evidence to support it and here it is:

In my notes from old H-D factory memos I found this:

Date: Feb. 6, 1931
              Order for H-D factory parts sent to Friis-Hansen, Copenhagen, Denmark

"Part #3054-23"
              "1 Rigid fork for FHAC -- this is the 80" model sent to him last year" also: "Handlebars for FHAC -- drop bars"

The FHAC was the 61" hillclimb model, but the rest of the parts were probably the same as the 80" FHB hillclimb machine. That's why it says FHAC for the chassis parts then in the same memo goes on to state that it was an 80" (FHB) model "sent to him last year." Him being Friis-Hansen.

Since your FHB should be an 80" motor and since "last year" from 1931 would be 1930, it seems quite possible your 80" 30FHB motor found in Denmark is the same 80" motor that Friis-Hansen of Copenhagen received from Harley-Davidson in 1930 and is mentioned in this memo.

See what I mean?

However, since they made at least seven 1930 FHBs, we can't be absolutely certain another one didn't go to Denmark, or that yours didn't belong to somebody else.

Still, this is pretty good evidence IMHO that Friis-Hansen obtained an 80" FHB motor in 1930 and possibly the one you own. It's certainly a strong likelihood that 30FHB-806 was his motor.

Comments anyone?
              Herbert Wagner
              AMCA 4634
              =======

Comment

Friis-Hansen

OK, the Friis-Hansen company was the Danish Harley importer for many years;
                Mr. C. Friis-Hansen the father of Ejnar & Svend Friis-Hansen established his first shop in 1918 in Copenhagen.
                Both the brothers Ejnar & Svend started working in their fathers business in 1923 and where the ones to be in charge of the motorcycle bussines later on. They imported Harleys in huge numbers up to mid thirties and spare parts as late as the fifties.

The previous owner of my own W from 1939 used Friis-Hansen for service and spare parts even if he lived in Norway. Reason was they where quite close still since he stayed in south Norway and Denmark is a small country.

Photo below is from what I am quite sure is a Friis-Hansen stand at some motorcycle show where they presented the new Harleys for -29.

Friis-Hansen surely have sold or sponsored racers & parts to advertise the Harley brand name.

Herb., I am corious to know if you have any record on a twin cam racing motor sold to Norway in 31 or 32 to a Mr. Hans F. Messel in Trondhjem or to Sørensen & Balchen AS in Oslo, Norway.

Sverre
                And then there is the idea that we are here on earth to get a certain amount of things done before we die.
                This is a great theory.

AMCA-3489

Comment

30fhb 806

Hi
                  I can agree what Sveger says and have this comments:
                  C. Friis-Hansen was established 1. of January 1918 at Kr. Bernikowgade 2, Copenhagen
                  In 1923 they moved to Ny Oestergade 21, Copenhagen and then again 1926 to Omoegade 5, Copenhagen, and at the same time they opened a shop in Aarhus, Jutland.
                  1923-24 they was the agent of Odin ( a danish motorcycle)
                  due to importrestrictions they became headagent of the danish Nimbus motorcycle in 1935.
                  About 1950 they stopped with motorcycles and was importer of Renault automobiles till the end of the 1970’, when they closed.

I found this on the internet:
                  On the 16. of august 1931 there was a race in Nyborg, Denmark where Friis-Hansen has invited two swedish racers – Ragner Lindstroem and Olof Wirgin. Lindstroem hit a pole, due to drunk driving, and was killed.

Part of a discussion between the Danish government and the US in 1932:

"Denmark
                  Representation against discriminations in respect to american commerce on the part of the danish exhange control board.
                  659.1112/24
                  The minister in Denmark (Coleman) to the acting secretary of state

Brdr. Friis-Hansen, Omoegade 5, Copenhagen.
                  During 1931 they imported for kr. 600.00 worth of Harley Davidson motor cycles and Harley Davidson accessories ( all of which were shipped from the United States). On April 5, they sent in their first application this year to the exchange board for permision to import Harley Davidson. They asked for only kr 50.000. Allready today, April 7, they received a blank refusal. The kr. 50.000 covers six motorcycles which are practially sold."
                  Tom

Comment

here is some more from Friss Hansen.
                    they show how many HD they have sold new in maj and april,not fore all of Denmark only some citys.
                    down in the corner is written.
                    Despite all the wild crawling information from our competitors, however,this list speaks fore itself,and is drawing the HD not only sold in large numbers but also is Denmarks most popular motorcycle and 5 years ahead of its time.

http://s814.photobucket.com/albums/z...2.jpg&newest=1

Comment

Friis-Hansen Copenhagen

A few more pics from Friis-Hansens place.
                      The text says: "two of Denmarks wellknown/famous motorriders "Morian" Hansen, now flight-lieutenant in Royal air Force (to the left) and Arne Fog (to the right) with their Harley racingmachines".

The man alone on the other pic. could be Arne Fog
                      Attached Files
                      Tom

Comment

A few more pics from Friis-Hansens place.
                        The text says: "two of Denmarks wellknown/famous motorriders "Morian" Hansen, now flight-lieutenant in Royal air Force (to the left) and Arne Fog (to the right) with their Harley racingmachines".

The man alone on the other pic. could be Arne Fog
                        Could the photo on the left be the "CMA" & "DAR" racers for Friis-Hansen mentioned in the 1931 letter?

I must admit I'm not exactly sure what a "CMA" was. Anyone know?

I'm gonna guess it was a 500cc (30.50ci) single-speed racer with aluminum pistons, but don't quote me!
                        Herbert Wagner
                        AMCA 4634
                        =======

Comment

the bike Morian is setting on,wasnt his own it belong to Friis Hansen he only raced it fore them.The bike ended is days at a local farmer,which not was happy with it,beacuse it could not run like a road bike.A rare bike was gone...

Comment

Hi MC enthusiasts,

interesting to read the details on Harley racers etc.

Just to bring this thread to where it originally started I attach pictures of what I think is the correct I-beam fork for the late Harley IOE models.

Best wishes from Europe,
                            gsottl AMCA #15841
                            Attached Files

Comment

Back to the subject of the I-beam springer forks.......
                              I agree with Steve Slocombe, I thought 1930 was the first year they appeared.
                              William S. Harley filed the patent for the forged I-beam front fork on July 10, 1929. Also, the 1930 sales brochure highlights "Many outstanding advancements feature the new Harley-Davidson for 1930" specifically showing the "new drop forged forks" and states "Front forks of new design, with heat treated drop forged sides, feature all the 1930 models. These new forks are twice as strong as any forks previously used"
                              None of my 1929, 1930 or 1931 accessory catalogs show complete forks in them. As others have stated, Forged I-beam forks for the J & JD models were probably made in 1930 and later as replacement forks, not accessories.

Comment

I-beam forks and more

Matt from Wheels Trough Times museum have problems posting on this board due to an password issue. He wants me to pass on the following information with reference to previous posts in this thread;

HarleyCreation, the CMA model was OHV 500 single with 3 speed trans in S-bar type peashooter frame.
                                SMA would be the same but a 350.

These are two pictures showing German Mr. Weyres racer, one when still as racer the other after beeing rebuilt for road use? In both pics the I beam fork is clearly visible. The oiltank under seat modification is clearly visible in the one pic where his daughter act as driver, a cool detail.

According to Matt Mr. Weyres bike is pictured in a -29 issue of "The Enthusiast" and he will check out if its got the I-beam fork there as well.

Not just an I-beam issue but still,
                                two photos from Matt showing what in his consern is two different DAH Harleys, one with nickel plated pipes (Mr. Weyres in Germany), the other with black (Friis Hansen in Denmarks?).

The same Friis Hansen bike as above?;

Hope this is OK Matt,

Sverre
                                This is a great theory.

AMCA-3489

Comment

Working...
                                X