1907 Wagner Photos/Arnold's Motorcycles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1907 Wagner Photos/Arnold's Motorcycles

At the Davenport meet I met a gentleman by the name of Ken Arnold who was displaying motorcycle photos for sale from his fathers estate. The photos were of Ken's grandfather and were taken beginning in 1907. The photos interested me since Ken's grandfather, Ed Arnold, was the owner of the "Arnold Motorcycle Co." a dealer in "Wagner and Excelsior" motorcycles, from about 1907 to 1920, in Logansport, Indiana, about 50 miles northwest of Indianapolis.

If you go to www.granddadsbikerpics.com you will find the photos. In photo #1, four men from Logansport, Indiana, with their 1907 Wagner "strap tank" motorcycles standing front of the front door of the "G & J Tire Company" in Indianapolis. Note the "Solar" type motorcycle headlights. (The "G & J Tire Company" was located on the south side of East Georgia Street between South East Street and South Noble (College) Avenue in Indianapolis. "G & J" was located adjacent to the Indianapolis Rubber Company which became the U.S. Rubber Company.) In the fall of 1907, Ed Arnold, his brother and two cousins rode from "Indianapolis to Denver" as an advertisement for "G & J" Double Clincher motorcycle tires. The sign on the rear wheels of their motorcycles advertises their adventure. Photo #2 is of Ed and his brother J. Leroy. The other photos on the website display an interesting history of the Arnold Motorcycle Company. The photos and memorabilia were found by the Ken Arnold, a grandson of Ed Arnold, in the estate of his father. For some unknown reason, none of Ken's generation were aware of the motorcycle history of their grandfather.

Later, I found an article on page 84 of the March, 1908, "Motorcycle Illustrated" magazine that was sent in as a letter to the editor, by the G & J Tire Co. in Indianapolis and tells the story of four friends who rode from Indianapolis to Denver in the fall of 1907 on G & J tires. There is also a copy of the text of the letter sent to G & J by Ed. W. Arnold. The letter from Mr. Arnold extols the quality of the G & J tires used on their trip. If you go to http://bridgehunter.com/mo/osage/gascondy/ you will find photos of the bridge in Missouri that the foursome rode over in 1907. A real scary ride.

The article can be found in the "Motorcycle Illustrated" magazines that have been digitized by Google.

The photos present an interesting pictorial view into the history of an early motorcycle dealer.

That was a terrific post! Thanks for taking the time to share it. Motorcycle Illustrated is digitized you say? That's awesome......I'll have to check it out!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

errr.........you wouldn't have a link to those digitized Motorcycle Illustrated magazines would you? I can't seem to find them....
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

The "Arnold" article can be found in the 1908 March issue of the "Motorcycle Illustrated" magazines that have been digitized and are available at no cost from Google. They can be downloaded and viewed as a temporary file or downloaded as a pdf file to your own computer. Just go to Google and type in "1908 motorcycle illustrated". Look for "Motorcycle Illustrated" - Google Books Result" as noted below. Then click on the "Motorcycle Illustrated - Google Book Result". It will take you to the respective digitized copy of Motorcycle Illustrated. Then click on pdf in the upper right corner and save it to your computer. Do the same for the other years that are available. One can download the following files: 1908 (Jan-Dec), 1909 (Jan-June), 1909 (July-Dec), 1910 (Jan-June). For best printing, download the pdf file to a folder on your computer, then click on the pdf file at your leisure to read.

----------------------------------------

Motorcycle illustrated - Google Books Result
        1908 - Juvenile Nonfiction
        AH of the valve gears in the 1909 models are wider than heretofore, ... magneto only 325 Ready For 1909 Mileage Contest THE 1909 motorcycle mileage contest, ...
        books.google.com/books

The magazines are really great reading and a great source of early historical motorcycle information. The only complete copies of Motorcycle Illustrated that I have found that are digitized by Google are the ones noted above. There are snippets of later years, but they are only snippets.
        Last edited by talbot-2; 12-29-2009, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by talbot-2 View Post

The magazines are really great reading and a great source of early historical motorcycle information.
          I'll bet they are but I just went through 33 pages of results on google books and only found snippets of issues from 1919-1921....... I'll keep looking but the next time your viewing one of these magazines if you could copy and paste the link it would be most helpful..... it's either that or I'll have to sit with a complex regarding my mental challenges......
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Google links to digitized copies of Motorcycle Illustrated

Originally posted by talbot-2 View Post
            The "Arnold" article can be found in the 1908 March issue of the "Motorcycle Illustrated" magazines that have been digitized and are available at no cost from Google. They can be downloaded and viewed as a temporary file or downloaded as a pdf file to your own computer. Just go to Google and type in "1908 motorcycle illustrated". Look for "Motorcycle Illustrated" - Google Books Result" as noted below. Then click on the "Motorcycle Illustrated - Google Book Result". It will take you to the respective digitized copy of Motorcycle Illustrated. Then click on pdf in the upper right corner and save it to your computer. Do the same for the other years that are available. One can download the following files: 1908 (Jan-Dec), 1909 (Jan-June), 1909 (July-Dec), 1910 (Jan-June). For best printing, download the pdf file to a folder on your computer, then click on the pdf file at your leisure to read.

Motorcycle illustrated - Google Books Result
            1908 - Juvenile Nonfiction
            AH of the valve gears in the 1909 models are wider than heretofore, ... magneto only 325 Ready For 1909 Mileage Contest THE 1909 motorcycle mileage contest, ...
            books.google.com/books

The magazines are really great reading and a great source of early historical motorcycle information. The only complete copies of Motorcycle Illustrated that I have found that are digitized by Google are the ones noted above. There are snippets of later years, but they are only snippets.
            Try these links for the Google digitized copies of Motorcycle Illustrated:

1908:

http://books.google.com/books?id=1as...trated&f=false

For 1st half of 1909:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Caw...trated&f=false

For 2nd half of 1909:

http://books.google.com/books?id=S6w...trated&f=false

For 1st half of 1910:

http://books.google.com/books?id=vqw...rated&f=false:)

Okay?

Comment

Thank-you for taking the time to post these links. I'm not sure what the problem is but I can only get snippet views. I thought it might possibly be an out of country thing but when Greg mentioned he couldn't see them either..... well I guess I'm stumped. Thanks anyway!
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
              X