Poplular Mechanics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poplular Mechanics

While doing some research on The Badger Brass MFG. Co. of Kenosha, Wisconsin, I stumbled upon this collection of online magazines. All you have to do is select a magazine and start reading.... I thought some folks may like to have a look at these so here's the link.......

http://books.google.com/books?id=9d0...issues_r&cad=2
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Popular Mechanics Thumbs up !!!

I went to this site, pulled up a 1910 issue & started surfing ! Got to the classifieds, motorcycles & had a blast... My favorite - First check for 75 $ takes my Pierce Motorette...... AHHH Those were the days... Thanks Cory, Carl, Pusherman Racing

Comment

Google books

That was really a cool link Cory. I had read about this issue with Google trying to be the worlds biggest online library, but my fantasy hadnt brought my as far as thinking stuff like old Popular Mechanics would be found there.

I used a short time on some of the 1905 to 07 issues and found both Motorcycle brand names and engine suppliers I havent heard of before.

Another thing that comes to my mind is what an interrest the "average Joe" had in all technical and mechanic in these early years and what amount of suppliers & services there was availiable for the one with a more or less bright idea.

Today just restoring an old motorcycle is a task when you look for help in your local communities.

Keep on finding & sharing such links!

Sverre
      http://AmericanMotorcyclesNorway.blogspot.com
      And then there is the idea that we are here on earth to get a certain amount of things done before we die.
      This is a great theory.
      If it is true, I am so far behind that I will never die...

AMCA-3489

Comment

I'm glad you fellas enjoyed the link... I haven't spent a whole lot of time there. I'm afraid if I get to into it that I may stay in the computer chair for days!!! The motorcycle stuff is great but did anyone notice the aviation stuff? There were some real crazy flying machines including one that was a motorcycle with wings!!! I think I found that circa 1910. I still find that early 1900 era the most fascinating of all. What an exciting time it would have been!!!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Supposed to work

Cory I am supposed to work but I got a real hung up in the 1907 issues. Just a half an hour scanning around brought up those for me unknown motorcycle (engine) brand names,
          Erie, Hoffman, Fowler-Manson-Sherman, C.E.Shook Mfg, Eureka Mfg and Woodward engeneering that today has its brand name on the regulator on most of the ship motors in the industry.
          I wish, I wish someone could invent a working timecapsule.
          Oh, and by the way I stumbled across one invention that I would say didnt meet todays ethic standards, June 1908 page 354.

And, by the way, seems like Harley didnt figure in those early magazines even if their competitors are all there, Curtis even with a stunning V-twin.

Oh well, now I have to work.
          Sverre
          http://AmerivanMotorcyclesNorway.blogspot.com
          And then there is the idea that we are here on earth to get a certain amount of things done before we die.
          This is a great theory.
          If it is true, I am so far behind that I will never die...

AMCA-3489

Comment

Sverre....... don't let this link get you into trouble at work

I have heard of the Erie but that's all I can recall from your list. I noticed an ad for Eureka. It would be interesting to know if the plans for that powerplant still exist.
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
            X