Let's play guess ID of the mystery V-twin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's play guess ID of the mystery V-twin

I'll give you a hint (I knew this and so would nearly everyone here): Someone photoshopped on the H-D emblem on the tank.

Winner gets the entire financial assets of the AMCA Foundation:

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/696/1932harleyjd.jpg

I used to be able to post photos directly here, but this one didn't work. When I tried clicking "manage attachments" below, it said the file was too big but offered no guidance on how to correct that. Maybe someone else could post directly? It's a gorgeous machine.

When you get the too big message the only thing you can do is crop the picture or lower the resolution.

Its a Norton.

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kelley View Post
      I'll give you a hint (I knew this and so would nearly everyone here): Someone photoshopped on the H-D emblem on the tank.

Winner gets the entire financial assets of the AMCA Foundation:

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/696/1932harleyjd.jpg

I used to be able to post photos directly here, but this one didn't work. When I tried clicking "manage attachments" below, it said the file was too big but offered no guidance on how to correct that. Maybe someone else could post directly? It's a gorgeous machine.
      Looks like a 1931 Swedish Husqvarna sv 50 degree vee-twin.

AFJ

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
        When you get the too big message the only thing you can do is crop the picture or lower the resolution.

Its a Norton.

Jerry
        It is not a Norton.

AFJ

Comment

V-twin mystery

Bob, although your content is in poor taste. I agree with the Huskavarna answer, and am willing to split the prize money.
          Gotta love those shifters that go right through the tank! Bosche tuna can headlights are always a fav also.
          Just send me a check, RF.

Comment

Mmmmm..... if it were Husky wouldn't it have JAP and London cast into that left case?

Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
              Mmmmm..... if it were Husky wouldn't it have JAP and London cast into that left case?

Husqvarna did use some JA Prestwich engines early on but in the 1920's had engines of their own design and manufacture. In the 1930's they competed in the Isle of Man TT races with their own design of 500cc ohv v-twin, setting a lap record in 1934.

AFJ

Comment

Originally posted by Red Fred View Post
                Bob, although your content is in poor taste. I agree with the Huskavarna answer, and am willing to split the prize money.
                Gotta love those shifters that go right through the tank! Bosche tuna can headlights are always a fav also.
                Just send me a check, RF.
                You're 14 hours late with an incorrectly spelled answer, my friend.

AFJ

Comment

"Looks like a 1931 Swedish Husqvarna sv 50 degree vee-twin.

AFJ"

DING DING DING!!!

AFJ was amazingly quick with the right answer.

I am told it's a 1931 Husqvarna.

That is one gorgeous machine ... classic look. I'm surprised how British it looks.

Red Fred, I thought the line about the AMCA Foundation was pretty obviously just lighthearted humor. I wasn't trying to revive that discussion and have no interest in taking part if anyone else does.

Comment

AFJ"

DING DING DING!!!

That is one gorgeous machine ... classic look. I'm surprised how British it looks.
                    Had to identify a 1930 Husqvarna 350 cc sv single for an enthusiast in South America about a year ago. That one had a JAP engine, Sturmey-Archer gearbox and Druid-type sidespring forks.
                    AFJ (Al Johnson)

Comment

http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/...feature22.html
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

light hearted

AFJ"

DING DING DING!!!

Red Fred, I thought the line about the AMCA Foundation was pretty obviously just lighthearted humor. I wasn't trying to revive that discussion and have no interest in taking part if anyone else does.
                        Hi Bob, I thought that my reply was even more light hearted! I still want a Huscavarna, no matter How I don't know how to spell it. The dimming system on those Bosch headlights is the coolest! A thumb lever mechanically activates a cable, which slides the bulb in & out of focus!
                        Merry Motoring, RF.

Comment

RF -- I wasn't sure, but I should have keyed in on the second part of what you wrote and seen you were joking along too. I just read too much into your first remark about how the content was in bad taste. I don't know enough about the Foundation situation to BE truly offensive about it.

Yeah, lots of interesting features. I hadn't noticed the through-tank shifter. The dimmer sounds cool too ... it's surprising to see the weird engineering solutions they came up with in the past.

Like in the distant 1970s (!) when AMC cars used engine vacuum to run the wipers ... if you went up a long hill, they would stop working (at least that's how it was explained to me ... could be some kind of urban legend).

Comment

Working...
                          X