Help a wounded soldier pass Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help a wounded soldier pass Christmas

When doing your Christmas cards, take one and send it to this address: A Recovering American Soldier c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center 6900 Georgia Avenue NW; Washington, D.C. 20307. If we pass this on, think of how many cards these wonderful special people would get.
    Pete Cole AMCA #14441
    1947 Indian Chief

From the Walter Reed web-page:

Release No. 09-46
    Date: Nov. 30, 2009
    For Immediate Release

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Walter Reed Army Medical Center officials want to remind the public of an incorrect holiday e-mail asking recipients to send cards, letters and packages to recovering Soldiers here. The e-mail suggests recipients to send Christmas cards to “A Recovering American Soldier,” and lists a Walter Reed, Washington, D.C., address.

All military installations, not just Walter Reed, cannot accept these packages in support of the decision by then Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for Transportation Policy in 2001. This decision was made to ensure the safety and well being of patients and staff at medical centers throughout the Department of Defense.

In addition, the U.S. Postal Service is no longer accepting "Any Service Member" or "A Recovering American Soldier" letters or packages. Mail to "Any Service Member" that is deposited into a collection box will not be delivered.

U.S. Postal Service link:

http://www.usps.com/supportingourtroops/otherways.htm

Unclviny
    AMCA #9037
    www.vinceandersononline.com
    1973-1/2 LWB BMW R75/5
    1971 Norton Commando
    1952 Triumph TRW
    1936 BMW R2

Comment

Your right, I shoulda checked my facts, if you were ever laid up in a VA hospital during Christmas like I have been, you would've been excited to see something like this as I was. I did find the correct address, sorry for the mistake.

How Holiday Mail works

We have established an extensive process to ensure all cards sent to our service members are safe and arrive in time for the holidays. Holiday cards will be collected through a unique P.O. Box address from Monday, November 2 through Monday, December 7*.

First, cards from across the nation must be sent to this address:

Holiday Mail for Heroes
      P.O. Box 5456
      Capitol Heights, MD 20791-5456

Every card received will be screened for hazardous materials by Pitney Bowes and distributed to participating Red Cross chapters nationwide. Once the cards arrive at the Red Cross chapters, they are sorted and reviewed by volunteers who then distribute them to service members, their families and veterans in communities across the country.

Do...

* Sign all cards
      * Entitle cards “Dear Service Member, Family or Veteran”
      * Limit cards to 15 per person or 50 for school class or business group
      * Bundle groups of cards in single, large envelopes (there is no need to include individual envelopes and postage for cards)

Don’t...

* Send letters
      * Include personal information such as home or email addresses
      * Use glitter – excessive amounts can aggravate health issues of wounded recipients
      * Include inserts of any kind as they must be removed in the screening process
      Pete Cole AMCA #14441
      1947 Indian Chief

Comment

Thanks for thinking of our vets, I will be sending a card.

Comment

Working...
        X