No announcement yet.

please show proof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It took my stubborn mind awhile to wrap my head around it but I finally came to terms with things. Our old bike world will never be what it once was. The common man's heyday for the most part is gone. The big high dollar collectors have set the tone and it's simply to late and the clock won't turn back. There are many bikes that I have on my wish list that are just that... wishes or giddy pipedreams. I'll likely not ever have a JDH, a Crocker, a '36 Knuckle, a Brough or an Indian 4 let alone a Cyclone or an eight valve racer. I'm finally O.K. with that thought. I'll focus on bikes that are a little more affordable. Having said that. I still have my sights set on a flat tank Harley. Is it realistic? I don't know but I couldn't just give up all the bikes on my list...........

Oh, by the way Barry was that cool dude pic of yours taken in Hull? Just curious....... It would have been a real rush seeing you cruisin' at 80 on the freeway....... I hope whoever you passed the bike onto left it as it was....
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

You're right about our changing hobby Cory. The clock cannot be turned back. Many of these bike are just irresistable and I can't blame anyone for wanting them. I think the majority of wealthy buyers are also smitten with the beuaty of antique bikes and their attitude, and enthusiasim is equal to the collector of modest means. It's not good to be too envious and it's important to remember that one man can have his hands full taking care of one motorcycle.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
        It's not good to be too envious and it's important to remember that one man can have his hands full taking care of one motorcycle.
        I'll second that Eric. I can't imagine being in this hobby if not for the love I have for old machinery. Between the bikes and the tractors it amazes me the wife is still hanging around.
        ------------
        Steve
        AMCA #7300

Comment

The way I see it, Shovels and Sportsters from the late '60s and early 70's are now where Pans and 45s were 25 or 35 years ago. Not too hard to find good runners or good projects at fairly reasonable prices. JDs and Knucks are scarce. Someday Shovels and Sportsters will be too.
          Rod Hansen, Jr.

Comment

That could be a long wait Rod.
            ------------
            Steve
            AMCA #7300

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
              You're right about our changing hobby Cory. The clock cannot be turned back. Many of these bike are just irresistable and I can't blame anyone for wanting them. I think the majority of wealthy buyers are also smitten with the beuaty of antique bikes and their attitude, and enthusiasim is equal to the collector of modest means. It's not good to be too envious and it's important to remember that one man can have his hands full taking care of one motorcycle.
              I'm in agreement with your thoughts Eric. Even one bike can be a bear at times. That doesn't stop me from adding one to the stable every couple of years though. It took my wife a little while to wrap her head around my addiction but now she's fully aware that I'll never have to many bikes........
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by Rod View Post
                The way I see it, Shovels and Sportsters from the late '60s and early 70's are now where Pans and 45s were 25 or 35 years ago. Not too hard to find good runners or good projects at fairly reasonable prices. JDs and Knucks are scarce. Someday Shovels and Sportsters will be too.
                Your likely right about that Rod. I'm probably a bit of a dinosaur though. I just can't look at a Shovel or Sporty and see an old bike yet.........
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

every time i get a new bike or part lucy wants a new horse. i say no.only to hear her reply of. i'll buy one that runs.not a lame broken down one that needs three years to run.
                  rob ronky #10507
                  www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Ones too many & 10 is not enough!

Comment

OUCH!!!

Originally posted by rwm View Post
                      every time i get a new bike or part lucy wants a new horse. i say no.only to hear her reply of. i'll buy one that runs.not a lame broken down one that needs three years to run.
                      I will have to make sure that Lucy and my wife dont get to exchanging notes
                      Then theres my daughter that asked me why I keep bringing home these old rusty motorcycles that don't run
                      Chuck
                      AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Originally posted by rwm View Post
                        the new club mag says the jdh came in a 80ci. roadster and had a L stamped after the #'s 29jdh1234L thats not a factory racer. now every clown with a set of stamps is gonna have the next rarest bike.probably see a few at oley.
                        You're right. No doubt they will appear. But what can we do? Not mention old but unknown Factory info out of concern for replicas and fakes?

Is there a good solution? I don't know it. Just that if a guy builds a replica or parts bike say so and keep its history honest. Don't make up big fat stories or lie.

Old club member told me that he heard years ago from an old dealer long dead that factory 80ci road models were available. But the "L" suffix JDH was special order and not on the order blank. You probably had to scream pretty loud to get one, but the Factory lists it. But then lots of stuff (minor models) were NOT on the order blank but found on yearly model layout sheets. Lots.

Also, in one of Jerry Hatfield's books there is a JDH "H" suffix motor. I don't know what that "H" means, assuming it's authentic. The Factory sheet doesn't mention "H" suffix, only "L" suffix (80ci).
                        Last edited by HarleyCreation; 12-27-2009, 12:33 PM.
                        Herbert Wagner
                        AMCA 4634
                        =======
                        The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

JDL's

Hello all, I have several JDL cases, would anyone care to chat about what these motors were all about ??? I have seen 1925,28,&29 jdl #### cases. A set of 28's just sold on fee bay. Who has the facts ?? Thanks Carl Estes Pusherman Racing

Comment

Originally posted by big jesus 151 View Post
                            Hello all, I have several JDL cases, would anyone care to chat about what these motors were all about ??? I have seen 1925,28,&29 jdl #### cases. A set of 28's just sold on fee bay. Who has the facts ?? Thanks Carl Estes Pusherman Racing
                            What would you like to know exactly? We might have something.
                            Herbert Wagner
                            AMCA 4634
                            =======
                            The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

I don't know if I have my facts confused but I think I recall a "J" model guru saying that JDL cylinders are different than a standard cylinder. Also, the JDL cylinder was used on the JDH.
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                              X