No announcement yet.

some people just don't understand art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been in the AMCA since the mid 70's and I remember the quality of restorations back then. The mindset was very different than it is now and there wasn't the reverence for authenticity that there is now. Chrome was used in place of nickel, and striping was often done with plastic tape. Beautiful original paint bikes were repainted and chromed to make them shiney. The quality of bikes today is fantastic and the knowledge base has improved expedentially. The AMCA's free library and other methods of reclaiming lost history will put more knowledge in the hands of all the members and in turn, be reflected in the quality of our restorations. If this knowledge continues to grow; the future will be very bright for the lovers of antique motorcycles and the preservation of our beloved motorcycles. Again, I am all for anything that puts an orphan motor in a chassis and brings a tangible piece of history back to life. I can't believe anyone would rather see an old motor sitting on a shelf instead of wheezing a popping it's way down the road in a reproduction chassis.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I think we tend to take ourselves and our hobby too seriously sometimes. As much as we try to embellish the significance of our hobby the unfortunate truth is that we are a fringe endeavour. I am sure the multitude of defunct original manufacturers would look upon us with bemusement as we fret over the pinstriping width on a 1908 Fluggellmeister Dreadnaught The main objective here in my opinion is to have fun while we can. History will take care of itself. Just look at all those pictures posted on Jurassic's thread. Have you noticed how many of those bikes were running "incorrect" auto gas lamps? How many were made into "snow bobs". And check out the smiles on the owner's faces, that is the spirit we should emulate . The upcoming "Cannonball" looks like it is right on the money as I hear entrants are "upgrading " their steeds for the long haul. Riding can be a lot more fun that polishing.

Comment

I'll second that. Polishing sucks.
        ------------
        Steve
        AMCA #7300

Comment

Working...
        X