Wheels Through Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels Through Time

Here's a clip I found from a preview of a Wheels Through Time special on The History Channel. http://2roostersmedia.com/ Dale is truly inspiring.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Dale's been talking about this for a while - sure looks like it could be an amazing TV show so much better than a lot of the chopper stuff with more so called "reality" than I need.
    Buzz Kanter
    Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
    [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
    [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

I couldn't agree more Buzz. I can't be bothered to watch those "chopper" shows on T.V. I do hope that I can catch the History Channel's showcase on Wheels Through Time.
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Dale is undoubtedly one of the best spokesmen for our hobby but after having seen what the average Indian 4 internals look like I would question the wisdom of firing up an unknown quantity that has been sitting for 35 years. A friend recently acquired a new old stock 4 engine from the Indian museum . Four guru Mark Hill dismantled it and found several areas of concern. This man's father had a brand new Indian 4 in the thirties that threw a rod through the case after only a few thousand miles. However beautiful these machines were by the time the late thirties rolled around the factory tooling at Indian was in deplorable condition.
        That JD sidecar rig is the cat's whiskers.

Comment

It leaves me to wonder how many times a machine has self-destructed with that procedure? But I guess if it did, it just gets torn apart and fixed!
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

I recall reading about a post war Chief that was found in a shed where it had been for most of it's life. The new owner restored it and gave the motor to an Indian motor wizard who could not get the flywheels true. He replaced the crank pin, and I believe tried different wheels and still couldn't true it up. It turns out one of the crank pin nuts was not properly machined and it's face was not perpendicular to it's threaded bore. When he tightened the nut it would force the flywheel to move out of spec. Apparently it left the factory that way because the bike had a broken seat post weld at the rear motor mount. It was probably a miserable thing to ride which is why it got parked so long ago.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Barry, Cory, and Eric make excellent points. But that's the kind of stuff we'll like to talk about while watching the show. I personally can't wait to watch then speculate and second guess.

This show fits directly into my interests AFA this strange "hobby".

Can't wait. Myself personally - an old bike like that would need to be torn down first before cranking up since I don't have all those spare parts and friends about that can help me if the thrill transmutes into terror
              Ray
              AMCA #7140

Comment

I had a friend with a 41 four, which he rode the heck out of. Would not hesitate to race at the drop of a hat and ride it hard.I would cringe every time and tell him, I had seen more cases with holes in them from throwing a rod, then cases with no holes. He's engine was rebuilt like 39 years before he got it. His four never did give him any trouble and ran like the wind. It seemed to defy what I had been told of the four being fragile. It blew smoke and the gears crashed something terrible, but it held up - I was amazed.
                I never do that to my Henderson, my 2nd speed gear was completely shot, almost not a tooth left on it, when I crash a gear, I cringe and feel ill ! and the thought of throwing a rod through my cases. Needless to say I ride my Deluxe pretty easy:-)

Comment

I ment to add, I hope that program comes out on tv I would really enjoy that, I think it could give History detective a real run - I love that program.

Comment

I hope Dale's show is the newest big success on TV, cuz he deserves it. One thing you can count on, Is a good representation of antique motorcycle people, Dale is not the type to compromise his principles, or to let more notariety change the person that he is.

I have a real debt of gratitude to Dale, for endorsing my products and skills, from the very beginning, when we met.....I can't even count the customers referred to me by Dale.

He's a class act, and I wish him, and Matt the best!

Tom @
                    Faber Cycle & Machine

Comment

You know the formula for most of those shows is conflict. Paul Sr. screaming at his sons, or Boyd Coddington bitching about schedule. The only show I've seen that I like is "Chop, Cut, Rebuild which just shows talented people slugging away on different projects. I'm not too interested in the personal lives of tatooed chopper goons, or some over stimulated youngster who's going to tell me how to build a bike. However, Dale should be able to deliver the right message.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                        Here's a clip I found from a preview of a Wheels Through Time special on The History Channel. http://2roostersmedia.com/ Dale is truly inspiring.

Anyone hear any more info on this? I wrote to the producers (roostermedia)

asking for any scheduling/show details. Never got any response.

Comment

Working...
                        X