Early Wisconsin Race Program Info...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Wisconsin Race Program Info...

Last edited by badger34; 11-21-2021, 05:37 PM.

Interesting to see Emil Kasten listed as a judge. No doubt he was the (by this time former) Henderson & Excelsior dealer in Milwaukee (photos from a recent eBay auction) ... Perry
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by badger34 View Post
      I have a 1936 motorcycle race program dated Aug. 22 from the State Fair Speedway in Milwaukee Wisconsin. My grandfather Joe Dobner is listed as the chief checker under race officials. I do not know if this was a one time deal for him or if he acted in this capacity for other races. I was just wondering if any of the paper collectors here might have other Milwaukee race programs from this period or from the surrounding Milwaukee area such as Cedarburg. Grandpa Joe would have been employed by H-D at this time working in the experimental department.

There were five heat races listed in the program and four of them have been scored in pencil. Joe Petrali is shown winning all four of the scored races, I wonder if he won the other heat as well sweeping of the event?

Not sure offhand about Grandpa Dobner career as checker, but you wouldn't think it was a one-time thing.

Most of those other guys also had H-D connections. Hap Jameson, Art Stauf, and Wm. Davidson, Jr. were all factory guys. (Wm. Jr. was Willie G.'s father). Frank Werderitsch worked at Bill Knuth's Milwaukee H-D dealership. Kasten was the Indian dealer and the odd man out. I never heard of Fats McCullough tho. Maybe another Indian guy.
      Herbert Wagner
      AMCA 4634
      =======
      The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry Ruiter View Post
        Interesting to see Emil Kasten listed as a judge. No doubt he was the (by this time former) Henderson & Excelsior dealer in Milwaukee (photos from a recent eBay auction) ... Perry
        Very cool tag from Emil Kasten!

Kasten was a REAL old timer around Milwaukee. He started out as a bicycle dealer (Roth-Kasten) there in the 1890s! I can't recall offhand the first brand motorcycle he handled but it was very early around 1901-02. Later he was the Ex dealer and after that the Indian dealer. After that he became a bicycle dealer again. Full circle!

Up to a few years ago, Kasten's Schwinn bicycle shop still existed on the south side of Milwaukee and maybe still does. Emil's son owned it. The son was in his 80s at that time and living mostly in Florida. I went to the shop hoping to meet him but he wasn't there. It was being run by another fellow and had the feel of an old time bicycle/mc shop which is exactly what it was.

Kastens were in business in bicycles/mcs in Milwaukee for around 100 years. He (the son) had the rep of being very eccentric. Wish I could have met him. Never did. Another lost opportunity.
        Herbert Wagner
        AMCA 4634
        =======
        The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Working...
        X