Newbie checking in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie checking in

I've been lurking around this site for a month or more and noticed what appears to be terrific comraderie and wonderful exchange of information and ideas, so decided to join a couple weeks ago.

I'm a 50-something sales guy who bought his first motorcycle - Yamaha 100- with lawn mowing money when I was 14. My neighbor had a Honda 90 and our ability to ride those bikes around and around our "track" on the family's Manchester, N.H. suburban neighborhood lawn was limited only by our ability to earn gas money. 20 years later, when my parents sold that house, there were still plenty of places where the grass never grew back because we packed the soil to the consistency of concrete with our constant riding!

Have owned a fair number of bikes both dirt (Yamaha 360 / Bultaco Matador / American Eagle 405 - anyone remember that one?) and street (650 Lightning / Yamaha Big Bear Scrambler / Katanna 1100, etc), but have been without one for several years now. We do own his/hers Yamaha ATVs which get used a lot here in the boonies. There's more moose than residents in the small, very rural town I choose to live in.

The aches and pains I have every day along with the realization that my reflex actions can now be measured in minutes, reminds me that I'm not as young as I used to be and probably don't need any more crotch-rocket bikes. Time to slow down and smell the roses. I'm much more a rider than wrench, but do normal maintenance work. Starting to focus my bike search on an original paint, '65-72 Electraglide. Looking for a bike that's basically stock (period dress up items OK) but with a few mechanical changes towards reliability. I'll find the right bike sooner or later.

Sorry for the long introduction. I look forward to talking with many of you both here on this site and at future bike events. Best wishes to all from the north woods of Maine. Any other Mainiacs here?
    AMCA 15783

welcome to the club. if you can sort through the bs here you may learn something!
    YAMAHA 100 TWIN JET ! THAT WAS JUST OUT OF MY PRICE RANGE BUT IT WAS SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE 80 I BOUGHT FROM SEARS IN 1966. AFTER A FEW MONTHS OF SLOW SPEED FRUSTRATION I BOUGHT A BEAT UP MATCHLESS G80CS WITH APES AND HIGH PIPE ETC. 10 Prince of the Dark age years later I bought an original paint 52 EL. You are on the right track with your choice. hope you find a great bike. hold out for a low mileage original paint job , there are plenty around.

Comment

Welcome Morth Maine Newbie

WELCOME....Your are right...The comraderie is definately here. I have been an AMCA Member for a few short years but have made friendships around the world that will last a lifetime. The help in locating bikes, parts and knowing how to deal with problems is always just a click away.

Most of us depending on our age did not start on the big road bikes. My fascination started with a 1957 Cushman Eagle. It was not a motorcycle when I was 8...It was magic. Gleaming red and must have been able to go at least a hundred miles an hour? My uncle owned it and knew better to ever let me on it. In 2007 at age 48 I bought it from him. 40 years is not that long after all to get something you always wanted.

Your choice in a 65 or later Harley is a good one. You get an "electric foot", more comfort and hopefully depending on the condition relative to your budget, a more dependable ride and less wrenching. I typically ride 40's Knuckles, 40/50's Pans but I thoroughly enjoy my 66 Electraglide. It always starts, always gives me a comfy ride and always gets me home.

You may email me directly if you wish. I know of several good machines that are available that you may have an interest in. 1965 Electraglide (all original except new paint), 1968 Electraglide (all original with only 8,700 miles) etc.... Shipping is not expensive.

Welcome again and many years of good times to you.

Steve Klein
      AMCA Member #12176
      Steve@SteveKlein.Com
      Texas, USA
      Steve Klein
      Collector . Conservator . Enthusiast
      American Pre-teens - 1965
      AMCA Member 12176
      Cherokee Chapter President, Editor
      www.CherokeeAMCA.org
      Steve@SteveKlein.com
      Georgetown, TX USA

Comment

Barry - Actually it wasn't a twin jet. Quite frankly I don't remember the model number - seems to me it had a "Y" and a "3" in it. Probably 1963 or so vintage. It was an early Japanese interpretation of what we now call a dual sport bike. Yellow in color. It had two sprockets in place on the rear wheel (two master links, and a short section of chain for use with the big sprocket). I was probably 16 or 17 when I rode it over to a friends house one evening. I left his house and when I got to the corner at the end of his block (blind intersection due to high shrubs on one corner) a 61 year old lady in a Chrysler Imperial ran the yield sign and broadsided me. Right tibia crushed and left ankle broken. Needless to say, that was the last motorcycle I owned while I lived under my mother's roof!

Yes, I think a late pan/early shovel is what would be appropriate for me at this point. As Clint said - "A man's gotta know his limitations" and mine is mechanical ability. Sure I can do general maintenance tasks, but just never had the patience or aptitude for major overhauls. Funny thing is, my dad was a genius with anything mechanical - to bad the apple didn't fall closer to the tree.
        AMCA 15783

Comment

Welcome Northwoods,
          Good choice, I've always liked the generator Shovels myself.
          Enjoy the search & better yet, enjoy the ride. It will be a little different than what your used to. Make it a point to get to some of the annual meets, once you go you will never want to miss one. Bob AMCA #3756
          Bob

Comment

welcome you will gain a wealth of knowledge here weather you want to or not
            Moose
            aka Glenn

Comment

Welcome to the forum! There are some real knowledgeable folks floating around here that are happy to answer questions when you come up with them.... Best of luck in your Shovel hunt! Looks like there's a couple available already......
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

I see that there is a '71 Electraglide for sale on George's site it's number 581 on the listings.

http://www.georgesantiquemotorcyclet.../forsale3.html
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Northwoods,
                  I just found this 69 FLH on Ebay. #140352046595
                  This is what I would like to find, when I have some folding money.
                  Bob
                  Bob

Comment

Working...
                  X