mystery scooter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mystery scooter

...from an old cycle blog by Greg Williams...

What in the heck is this thing... ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted in STORIES by Greg Williams on July 23, 2009 No Comments yet

I have no idea what this scooter is — old black and white photo found in an archive. Machine is pictured in front of a Harley-Davidson dealership. Look closely and you can see tricycles and bicycles in the store. Pretty sure it’s not a Harley-Davidson.

it looks similar in many ways to frank westfall's 1952 enterprise but maybe an older model?

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/mee...8/image011.jpg

Comment

There appears to be a starter on the left side of the machine. Indians, through the Big Chief era had left hand starters. Also, Indian 4's and Hendersons had left hand starters. I've always loved home built modern marvels. Poplular Mechanics often featured bikes like this one. I don't like the seat but the rest of it is stunning and it's obvious it was built by a first class sheet metal mechanic/artist.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

check out my separate Courtney posting. This is his Henderson which also belongs now to Frank. His buddy Chico got them both from Michigan builder/artist "Finch"

Comment

Thanks for that related post Barry.
          link - http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...ad.php?t=15069

This thing is truly a piece of artwork. Wonder if Leno knows about it. Bet he'd drool to have it in his collection.

Comment

I think if Leno had wanted it , he would already have it. It is now being restored for Frank in Syracuse and they tell me underneath all the beautiful sheet metal is some pretty crude back yard fabrication.

Comment

Fantastic work, guys. I knew somebody, somewhere, would know something about this incredible looking machine. But, as the saying goes, beauty really is sometimes just skin deep! Thanks for looking at my blog (www.gregwilliams.ca). BTW, for those who don't know me, I write the Pulp Non-Fiction column for this club's magazine, The Antique Motorcycle.
              Last edited by wordman5; 09-25-2009, 06:12 PM.

Comment

That's one of the coolest things I've seen in a long long time!!

Comment

Hey Buzz,...or other journalist among us... how about a present day feature article on this machine/history/artist/restoration ?? Would be neat.

Bet this also must have been in Popular Mechanics / Mechanix Illustrated at some time.

Comment

I'm working on it...

Comment

enterprize

hey barry your right about chico finding the enterprize ,I remember when he picked them up.i think he seen some thing in popular mechnicts and called dave lightner seeing he lived in michican well dave new right where they where and set chico up with the number. well chcio bought both of them and stated selling t shirts with the enterpize on the front he had both bikes down at daytona in the early 1990's chico and the rest of the guys from upstate ny where hanging at goodies oyoster bar they brought a big tent and was going to set up a mini muesam ( i had my 1924 jd that came from rick trevor with me to set up there also)but the local building inspector shut it down because he didn't have any permits or fire coded tent.we still had alot of fun gooffing on all the poeple checking them out .we even heard story's of other bike's just like chico's.one guy told us about his uncle who crashed one,and your right about the frame under the sheet metal cover they where welded by someone that thought he could weld (very rough ) most of the frame look like it was recycled from framing stuff there in good hands now with frank getting them done one had a henderson motor and the other had a indian 45 ci motor. chcio was riding one of them around .I have some pictures somewhere and will try to locate them and load them up

Comment

There was also a company that built similar bodies for H-D's. I saw one at Davenport back in the late '70's/early '80's.
                        Be sure to visit;
                        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Great

Great information!

Comment

Working...
                          X