Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's The Proper Way To Transport A Munch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's The Proper Way To Transport A Munch?

A different kind of hunting. Loading the quarry for the trip home. First in Canada?

Barry, I think I'm more interested in the truck.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Truck looks to be an old mil spec ambulance.

Comment

I bought this truck 22 years ago out of a tobacco barn in Northfield Mass. It is the Belchertown Mass. "fire emergency" 1936. Very rare truck 131.5" wb dually modified by "Procter Keefe Detroit " when new ( side windows, roll down rear windows etc.) I drove it to Davenport once and Oley about 6 times and Hershey etc. the same. Mildly hot rodded with hydraulic brakes and Frankland QC centre. MUCH MORE INFO THAN CAN BE JUSTIFIED POSTING HERE BUT IT'S PRIMARY PURPOSE IN LIFE IS AS A BIKE HAULER AND LETS FACE IT BELCHERTOWN IS PRETTY CLOSE TO SPRINGFIELD SO YOU CAN BE SURE THERE WERE INDIANS AROUND THAT FIREHALL OR I LIKE TO THINK THAT ANYWAY!

Comment

Congratulations Barry!! I see you finally got yer hands on a Munch! I have to agree with Eric though, that truck is appealing. It is one of the coolest trucks I have ever seen! Great pic by your pond by the way!
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

barry----good to see you still have the truck man----you gotta post a pic of that interior. that had to be a labor of love. i remember seeing it in oley and wanting to buy it then. then i saw it on ebay and figured it was gone for good. maybe we'll see it in oley again next year???

Comment

You drove that to Davenport from Quebec must of had 10 cases of Labatt 50/50 dont know how you cud survive the trip otherwise !!

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys, I will have the old girl at Oley next year and Hershey in a few weeks.
                We used to bring many "quarts" of Molson to Wauseon in the old days before the hangovers became unbearable. The front windshield opens up on the truck giving a feeling ALMOST akin to bike riding. As a matter of fact coming back from Auburn Indiana with the Munch I was regretting not having earplugs to save what is left of my hearing!

Comment

I don't think I've ever seen a cooler bike hauler...... Actually, I know I never have... How's that Munch run? It looks pretty clean..
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Cory, Well, now that I finally bit the bullet and made the bank happy it is going to be a steep learning curve with the monster Munch. A new oil filter arrives tomorrow so next is 2 new batteries, clean the Webers and hope to hear the snarl. Fortunately all the magnesium pieces look good. Being a "backyard" constructor of sorts myself I have always wanted one of these since I saw one of the first at Clymer's in Los Angeles in 1967 . It seems impossible that this acquisition took me 42 years but there have been diversions along the way. I like to have a "modern" bike so that I can blast to Montreal , Toronto , Ottawa or New York state and back in a day to pick up parts etc. for my more important old bikes and cars. I had a 2007 springer which looked good, sounded good and went well but I wasn't to fond of the softail concept. I thought about another Harley, maybe a 110 screaming Eagle road glide but then I read Donny Peterson's take on that Harley screw up design so I thought about a BMW GS or GT but then started hearing about servicing woes etc. and getting back to an earlier topic about "soul" , these bikes don't really have it. The Munch however , does have lots of character, can be worked on by human beings as well. It seems to embody the dedication of it's creator Freidel . I'll fire it up soon and let you hear it on youtube. Looks good in the shop too! Waiting for a generator from Frank for the 4.

Comment

barry

nice to see the munch in the shop I hope the 42 years of waiting was worth it

on another note just to thank you for the tour of the house and shop, and the couch to crash on, indian day at charlie's was ok, 5 indians showed up, the four would have just added to the models that showed up - maybe next year

aka HAWG
                      1914 EXCELSIOR BELT DRIVE SINGLE
                      1914 excelsior belt drive single carcuss
                      1940 indian chief military
                      1965 sportster xlch
                      1969 sportster xlch bobber
                      1971 bsa A65 chopper
                      1969 harley ss350 sprint
                      1960 harley topper
                      1963 harley topper
                      H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
                      H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
                      1949 harley model 125 bobber project
                      1959 harley model 165
                      1960 harley super 10
                      1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
                      EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Comment

Barry, it's heartwarming to hear that you finally acquired that Munch. The whole background and basis for the story is pretty cool! It was destiny man, even if it took that many years! I can imagine the sideways looks your going to get blasting to the big city on that beast! It definitely has more character than a new machine off the showroom floor. I've only briefly read up on the Munch but by just looking at the bike it seems as though it's a rocket! I'll be patiently waiting for an appearance on YouTube!
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

Munch transport

Originally posted by Barry Brown View Post
                          A different kind of hunting. Loading the quarry for the trip home. First in Canada?
                          Barry, Where did all the moisture come from? When I was there is well into the 90s. What are the electric signs in your trucks' back windows?
                          congrats on your score here.
                          RF.

Comment

It was Monday, the last day of the auction and it drizzeled a bit.
                            The weird looking brackets in the rear windows hold a pair of LED lights. There is a section of I-81 between Scranton and Wilkes -Barre that gives me the heebie jeebies . It has a sign I have never seen anywhere else 'AGGRESSIVE DRIVER AREA" ! and it speaks the truth. The original tail lights are just too hard to see on a sunny day so I added the LEDs which can be easily removed . People sit on my tail oogling the truck and are sometimes hard to see in those little round mirrors. Driving this thing is always an adventure.

Comment

It broke my heart but I didn't have enough dough to left to bid on this one. It went back to Germany with most of the other Munches.

Comment

Working...
                              X