Rust Preventive Oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust Preventive Oil?

Any special formulas out there for oil mixes to prevent rust on machinery & vehicles stored outside or used in damp & salty climates?

For years I've been squirting plain motor oil (cut with fuel oil) on the under-carriage of my 4-wheel vehicles and other equipment to prevent corrosion and to keep the rusting process in check. Seems to help a LOT. But motor oil washes off pretty easily. I've thought of adding stuff like STP or linseed oil to the mix that might stick a little better. Or maybe chainsaw bar oil that has a tack agent in it.

Anyone try these or other additions to make a home-brew rust preventive oil with good staying power?
    Herbert Wagner
    AMCA 4634
    =======
    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

We make thousands of shafts a year out of carbon steel. Every finished part is dipped in Mobil 245 oil to prevent rusting. The oil is very thin but solidifies into a greasy coating.

Comment

I've been using Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protectant for coating all my long term storage parts. It is an aerosol, goes on sorta like a penetrating oil and dries to a waxy film in a few hours. Also makes a great chain lube. Sprayed some on my axe head when we went camping the other year. Camped four days straight in the pouring rain and even though I used the axe to split wood it stayed pretty water repellent. It is a little pricey though, especially compared to the used motor oil my Step-dad sprays under his trucks in Delaware.
      Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

The Mobil 245 sounds pretty good, esp. since I use a squirt-type oil can to protect my stuff from rust. I use quite a bit so the Amsoil might get too pricey.

The used motor oil method is better than nothing. It's amazing how people let their vehicles rust without lifting a finger to stop it. They wouldn't do that with a tool or a gun.

Thanks!
        Herbert Wagner
        AMCA 4634
        =======
        The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Fluid film works GREAT and you can buy it in bulk or spray can. Plus they have some heavy versions you can actually apply with a brush. I have used it for about 10 years now and have not found anything else like it. treat battery terminals with it and never see corrosion again! stays on better than used motor oil.

Comment

you can get Fluid Film at John Deere stores, too.
            Dan Margolien
            Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
            Www.yankeechapter.org
            Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Ive used a product called LPS for years its a light oil and I store most of my stuff inside, cold storage, it works just fine now for the stuff you use over the roads in winter,Im assuming thats the salt your talking about, I dont believe it will work for many years around the farm my dad swore by used motor oil, not so sure thats DEP approved any more I see people stopped using it on dirt roads ect so I guess youve got to take this all in witha little bit of salt !

Comment

Sta-Bil

Have you tried Sta-Bil Fogging Preservative Oil
                in the red can?

Comment

Working...
                X