2009 Pewter Run NH Motorcycle Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Pewter Run NH Motorcycle Event

Didn't go to Davenport because I was in New Hampshire for a different antique motorcycle event. Got back from competing in the Pewter Run yesterday in the back country of New Hampshire. I rode my 1924 Harley JD and my pal Jim Sims rode my 1948 "Crustoration" Harley Panhead we redid in the pages of American Iron Magazine about a year or so ago.

This is the first time we'd tried this one and have to say it was a lot of fun with some great old motorcycles in a beautiful part of the country.

The event is open to pre-1950 motorcycles and I guess about 15 registered for the ride this year. The oldest was my 1924 Harley, the next oldest was a very cool looking and great running 1925 Henderson Four. A handful of Indians (one with a sidecar) and a bunch of British motorcycles too.

All the riders are given racer bibs to wear (hey, I was drooling on a few of the bikes) and a route sheet. We leave the start one bike at a time every 30 seconds and have to make it to the various check points. Then we need to make it back to the start/finish at a predetermined time based on the projected speed of each bike.

If you are even one second early you are disqualified.And the bike that comes in closest to the projected time without coming it too soon, wins the class.

As the only bike in the pre-1925 class I won with my 1924 Harley. But much to my amazement I believe I was the best time of the day with only 7 seconds. I'd like to believe it was due to my talent but the reality is it was more dumb luck than skill on my part.

Info at www.pewterrun.com and will probably run an event coverage article in American Iron Magazine.
    Buzz Kanter
    Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
    [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
    [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

I can't think of any event I would choose to go to over Davenport.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
      I can't think of any event I would choose to go to over Davenport.
      Well thank you Chris for sharing that with us all. So how was Davenport this year? What did you see or buy?
      Buzz Kanter

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz Kanter View Post
        Well thank you Chris for sharing that with us all. So how was Davenport this year? What did you see or buy?
        Sadly I was unable to attend. You already knew that. But I was wishing I was there. As I said before, "I can't think of any event I would choose to go to over Davenport."
        Last edited by Chris Haynes; 09-08-2009, 10:17 PM.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I have not been to the Pewter run but have been telling a lot of people about it since I first saw it advertized in 2005. I contacted the organizer a couple of years ago and ask him why they would have it the same time as the largest antique MC meet of the year. I'm not sure he even knew about the AMCA. And it don't seem they are interested in changing the date. I told him that his attendance would greatly improve if scheduled to some other date. There are usually a couple older bikes there, a 1910 HD and an early Motosache if my memory serves me. I've been wanting to take my 1916 and my 1920 HD and do a ride such as this....Maybe next year!
          Louie
          FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
          Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
          YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

I really do enjoy the smaller events much more than the big ones. They seem much more freindly and laid back to me. Not everyone enjoys large crowds and bumping elbows with people all day long. Differant strokes for differant folks I guess.
            ------------
            Steve
            AMCA #7300

Comment

Originally posted by LouieMCman View Post
              I have not been to the Pewter run but have been telling a lot of people about it since I first saw it advertized in 2005. I contacted the organizer a couple of years ago and ask him why they would have it the same time as the largest antique MC meet of the year. I'm not sure he even knew about the AMCA. And it don't seem they are interested in changing the date. I told him that his attendance would greatly improve if scheduled to some other date. There are usually a couple older bikes there, a 1910 HD and an early Motosache if my memory serves me. I've been wanting to take my 1916 and my 1920 HD and do a ride such as this....Maybe next year!
              Good points. He is now VERY aware of the conflict in dates as he and I had a long talk about it this week. Not sure what his plans are but hope he changes the dates going forward.
              Buzz Kanter

Comment

Great! Now everyone will be there.
                ------------
                Steve
                AMCA #7300

Comment

Working...
                X