Question to the Indian guys

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Chuck#1848
    replied
    Originally posted by slarsonroy View Post
    Hey Chuck, nice 741! It may be a "low end" Indian but to a guy like me thats admired them from afar for 40 years, its an Indian! Check out Iron Horse Corral in Clovis, Ca. He makes reproduction gas tanks like mine has on it.
    Thanks Scott,

    I would like to try and fix it iff possiable.
    I ordered a gasket set and manual for it last night.........darn Indian is leaking oil all over the garage

    Leave a comment:


  • Chuck#1848
    replied
    [QUOTE=aka HAWG;84378]
    Originally posted by Chuck#1848 View Post
    Thanks Tom,

    First thing is to get it running and get use to the left hand throttle/right hand shift

    chuck1848 don't let it fool you - I was always a harley guy, always had a hard time getting the handshift/foot clutch down, when I had a chance to ride an indian suprisingly had no problem with that setup. I think it is because of the standard shifting of automobiles - right hand shifts the car just like an indian

    aka HAWG

    Thanks,HAWG

    I guess I never looked at it that way but it does kinda make some sence in the procedure I drove standard shift trucks for 30+ years and the one I have now is an automatic I still occasionally reach for the shifter in the truck and the wifes car

    Leave a comment:


  • slarsonroy
    replied
    Hey Chuck, nice 741! It may be a "low end" Indian but to a guy like me thats admired them from afar for 40 years, its an Indian! Check out Iron Horse Corral in Clovis, Ca. He makes reproduction gas tanks like mine has on it.

    Leave a comment:


  • aka HAWG
    replied
    [QUOTE=Chuck#1848;84341]Thanks Tom,

    First thing is to get it running and get use to the left hand throttle/right hand shift

    chuck1848 don't let it fool you - I was always a harley guy, always had a hard time getting the handshift/foot clutch down, when I had a chance to ride an indian suprisingly had no problem with that setup. I think it is because of the standard shifting of automobiles - right hand shifts the car just like an indian

    aka HAWG

    Leave a comment:


  • Chuck#1848
    replied
    Originally posted by exeric View Post
    Congratulations Chuck. That's a going to be a fun motorcycle. Hey, don't let anyone talk you out of those gas caps, unless it's me. They look like early Eaton or Stant (mis-named Streck) caps that were used on knuckles.
    LOL And the value of "Puddle jumper" Continues to rise ( that's about as close to owning a Knuckle I will be able to get to)

    What would I look for to identify them by?

    Well I can say that I now own the 3 longest produced motorcycles from the US

    1930 VL Harley,1942 model 741 Indian and a 1948 Simplex Servi-Cycle

    Eric, by chance would you know if the fuel tanks on the Indian are soldered ?
    Last edited by Chuck#1848; 09-07-2009, 04:28 PM. Reason: still can't spell.....

    Leave a comment:


  • exeric
    replied
    Congratulations Chuck. That's a going to be a fun motorcycle. Hey, don't let anyone talk you out of those gas caps, unless it's me. They look like early Eaton or Stant (mis-named Streck) caps that were used on knuckles.

    Leave a comment:


  • Chuck#1848
    replied
    Thanks Tom,

    First thing is to get it running and get use to the left hand throttle/right hand shift
    Aside from a front tire and tank repair it also needs an air cleaner and I also need to get a manual for this thing a reprint will be fine.
    I hope to be able to bring the "puddle Jumper" to Oley in 2010 to buzz around on

    Leave a comment:


  • Tom Lovejoy
    replied
    Chuck, hope you get a kick out of the Indian. Like as been said you can get more speed out of the 741. I have ridden with two that were stroked, one a Sammy Pierce job I was told. The other was Ernie Skelton, hope my spelling is right, anyways both machines would really run strong. I was quite impressed, totally different than a stock 741. I ran with one at 60 mph and I kept thinking those bikes cant go that fast, but they did.
    Just in case you decide you want to ride it abit more and you fill you need the speed. I have a 25 Scout thats no speed machine, but I enjoy the relaxed pace and the machines ride itself. My Scout's have made me a real fan, hope you enjoy your Indian!

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied
    Cool little sickle ya got there Chuck!

    As far as the tank mounts go........ I went out to check my tanks and see that someone has molded where it was soldered/welded....so I'm of no help to you there.

    Leave a comment:


  • Chuck#1848
    replied
    Well here it is needs a little work here and there ,but should be fun to play with

    The left tank front mounts are broke from the tank and they must have tried to soldered the two pieces back on.

    What's the best way to re attach were they originally soldered on or possiably spot welded?

    Thanks to all for your input,suggestions and directions
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • kunzog
    replied
    Here is a link to "Restoring an Indian Sport Scout." Keep in mind this is for the Sport Scout and not the 741 but is very informative.

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied
    Eric, I'm sure you noticed a little pep in the WLDR's step! The standard Harley 45 is by no means a performance king. You can however do some mods to get a little more giddy-up. During my solo trip in July I ended up in some pretty heavy traffic and had the little flatty running slightly above it's "sweet spot". A group of folks on new twin cams rode with me for quite a stretch and when we stopped for a ferry ride they said that I was hovering around 60 to 65 mph (my junk re-pop speedo lasted 18 miles before it crapped out). It likes 55 the best but is a little underpowered on the hills. Having said that I think they are a great little bike but would be a nightmare on the freeways! Sorry for hijacking your thread Chuck....... and yes I believe the shift knob on your machine should be of the black variety. But if your looking at a bit of a bobber the Chief head version is a pretty cool look!

    Leave a comment:


  • exeric
    replied
    Scouts are pretty awesome. Power and speed were just built in. Cory, I don't know much about H-D 45's and have only ridden a WLDR which a friend was trying to sell to me. I should have bought that bike but I understand they were not typical of standard 45's. The 741's I've been on were an embarrassment to Indian but I have heard they were as reliable as a refrigerator. In my roundabout way I am trying to say that the Harley 45 would have to be a lot more fun and usable than a 741.

    Leave a comment:


  • c.o.
    replied
    Originally posted by Ohio-Rider View Post
    Eric, Are they any worst than the 45's?
    I'd say slightly..... If your referring to Harleys. If you mean an Indian 45 then they aren't even close. Whaddya figure Eric?

    Chuck if you just want to tool around the neighborhood or take your time on a slow back road and........if you get it cheap enough.... and don't have to high of expectations.......and like it.........then scoop it up and enjoy yourself.......

    Leave a comment:


  • Ohio-Rider
    replied
    Eric, Are they any worst than the 45's?

    Leave a comment:

Working...