49 parts book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 49 parts book?

Hi all, anyone have a parts book published for the 49 model year that would be willing to look up a few things for me? Looking for part numbers for original 49 hydraglide fork damper parts. Thanks.
    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Brian,
    I have one, what do you need?
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

what parts do you need
      sorry it was out of HD parts book 1941 - 84
      Last edited by jmanjeff; 08-27-2009, 06:32 AM.
      Jeff Bowles
      Arkansas
      Membership # 14023
      1957 Sportster

Comment

Brian,
        See your PM.
        Robbie
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

That illustration is not correct for a 1949. 1949 below.

Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks Chris, was hoping for the forks listing prior to the change in the damper tubes. That diagram still shows more parts than the front end I have. Though it does list the heavy duty sidecar only springs. Here are some pics of it laid out parts book style. As you see the entire damper valve is only three pieces.

I know someone thinks it's missing parts but it is not. Look at the springs and how they are part of the valve body.

This side is pretty nice.... other side will need a little love.
            Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

That is from the May 1, 1949 parts book. It is the only illustration that I know of. There is no earlier 1949 parts book that I know of. Obviously the book wasn't printed until after the change was made.
              Be sure to visit;

Comment

Looks like another mystery goes unsolved. Guess this fork must be really early 49. would imagine they would have a -48 part number. Any one happen to know if May of 49 was the first parts book printing for the model year? According to Shop Dope 291 I see that vented fork caps were introduced in mid May. both the diagram Chris posted and the one Robbie sent me show the early caps. But I'm guessin that if the parts in question are not in the books, probably weren't many shipped out on parts order either. Guess we'll be looking close at refurbishing. I know I can pop in the newer units, but I hate to do that to something this unique. Thanks all.
                Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Page from another parts book for information...

And, I only see one spring there should be two. There should be a couple of paper gaskets that go in the bottom of each tube plus around the stem a swell. You would only need shims if your valve stem end protruded beyond the bottom too far.

As far as the upper end, the spare parts manual (where the scan came from) for 41-54 show the baffles used as part of the complete assembly (45775-49). My 49 has the upper end parts shown on the left side of the scan (45729-49)
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by panz4ever View Post
                    Page from another parts book for information...

And, I only see one spring there should be two. There should be a couple of paper gaskets that go in the bottom of each tube plus around the stem a swell. You would only need shims if your valve stem end protruded beyond the bottom too far.

As far as the upper end, the spare parts manual (where the scan came from) for 41-54 show the baffles used as part of the complete assembly (45775-49). My 49 has the upper end parts shown on the left side of the scan (45729-49)
                    There were paper gaskets in this assembly, they are still stuck on the appropriate parts and can't be seen in my pics. As shown springs are staked into the damper valve itself and are apparently non-replaceable. They are only on one side so it would reason that the second spring was another update. What do your dampers look like? The springs on the one side of mine are a bit mangled and that's the part I am looking to refurbish. I'll have a good look at these this winter. The 45729-49 cap you refer to is an update to improve ride quality and stop oil from puking out the seals. It was a retrofit for non-vented 49 models and serves the same purpose as the baffled system though it is still prone to pushing some oil, that's what the baffles prevent. This fork was updated with vented caps also, it's just missing the domed chrome caps.
                    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Brian I have an original factory blue print of the hydra-glide front dated I believe 8-48 and inside it is a smaller update dated 5-49 if that would help.

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
                        Brian I have an original factory blue print of the hydra-glide front dated I believe 8-48 and inside it is a smaller update dated 5-49 if that would help.

Jerry
                        It might, does it show the same damper valve as in the parts book diagram Chris posted earlier? Or does it show something with less than six pieces?
                        Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Brian.
                          I had looked at my blueprint as well but it is a copy and the detail was too poor to bother with. Hopefully Jerry's is good. I will look in my damper bits box. At one time i had a '49 front end in pieces. I sold the sliders long ago but may have some internal parts. I also have an NOS pair of early non-vented caps if you need them.
                          Robbie
                          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie, do you think you have any of the damper parts that I have pictured? May need one of the center parts with the whisker type springs staked in. Will probably keep the vented caps that I have. won't really know till I can get a chance to take it all apart and give a good clean and inspect.
                            Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

[QUOTE=bmh;83983]Thanks Chris, was hoping for the forks listing prior to the change in the damper tubes. That diagram still shows more parts than the front end I have. Though it does list the heavy duty sidecar only springs. Here are some pics of it laid out parts book style. As you see the entire damper valve is only three pieces.

Could it be someone had it apart and parts didn't make it back in?
                              Be sure to visit;

Comment

Working...
                              X