Something I came across.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something I came across.

JFK'S Secretary of State, Dean Rusk, was in France in the early 60's when DeGaule decided to pull out of NATO. DeGaule said he wanted all US military out of France as soon as possible.

Rusk responded "does that include those who are buried here?

DeGuale did not respond.

You could have heard a pin drop

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~

When in England, at a fairly large conference, Colin Powell was asked by the Archbishop of Canterbury if our plans for Iraq were just an example of empire building by George Bush.
    He answered by saying, 'Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return.'

You could have heard a pin drop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There was a conference in France where a number of international engineers were taking part, including French and American. During a break, one of the French engineers came back into the room saying 'Have you heard the latest dumb stunt Bush has done? He has sent an aircraft carrier to Indonesia to help the tsunami victims. What does he intended to do, bomb them?'

A Boeing engineer stood up and replied quietly: 'Our carriers have three hospitals on board that can treat several hundred people; they are nuclear powered and can supply emergency electrical power to shore facilities; they have three cafeterias with the capacity to feed 3,000 people three meals a day, they can produce several thousand gallons of fresh water from sea water each day, and they carry half a dozen helicopters for use in transporting victims and injured to and from their flight deck. We have eleven such ships; how many does France have?'

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    A U.S. Navy Admiral was attending a naval conference that included Admirals from the U.S. , English, Canadian, Australian and French Navies. At a cocktail reception, he found himself standing with a large group of Officers that included personnel from most of those countries. Everyone was chatting away in English as they sipped their drinks but a French admiral suddenly complained that, whereas Europeans learn many languages, Americans learn only English. He then asked, 'Why is it that we always have to speak English in these conferences rather than speaking French?'

Without hesitating, the American Admiral replied, 'Maybe it's because the Brit's, Canadians, Aussie's and Americans arranged it so you wouldn't have to speak German.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AND THIS STORY FITS RIGHT IN WITH THE ABOVE...

Robert Whiting, an elderly gentleman of 83, arrived in Paris by plane. At French Customs, he took a few minutes to locate his passport in his carry on.

"You have been to France before, monsieur?" the customs officer asked sarcastically.

Mr. Whiting admitted that he had been to France previously.

"Then you should know enough to have your passport ready."

The American said, 'The last time I was here, I didn't have to show it."

"Impossible. Americans always have to show your passports on arrival in France !"

The American senior gave the Frenchman a long hard look. Then he quietly explained, ''Well, when I came ashore at Omaha Beach on D-Day in 1944 to help liberate this country, I couldn't find a single Frenchmen to show a passport to."

AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Thank you for those stories. Well done.

Comment

Great Bob, thanks!
      Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

thank god someone answered - beginning to think I heard a pin drop :-)

aka HAWG
        1914 EXCELSIOR BELT DRIVE SINGLE
        1914 excelsior belt drive single carcuss
        1940 indian chief military
        1965 sportster xlch
        1969 sportster xlch bobber
        1971 bsa A65 chopper
        1969 harley ss350 sprint
        1960 harley topper
        1963 harley topper
        H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
        H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
        1949 harley model 125 bobber project
        1959 harley model 165
        1960 harley super 10
        1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
        EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Comment

They are all good ! Paps

Comment

i was beginning to think there were a lot of french members reading this!!!!! too bad the pin some of them heard dropping didn't come out of a grenade !!!! no more friends than we have throughout the world i'm wondering if it was worth the sacrifices

Comment

Do you know wht the streets of Paris are all tree lined? So the Germans can march in the shade.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

My wife is a Kiwi. I went to Paris about 10 years ago on business and asked her to come. She refused to join me due to the fact the French test atomic weapons in New Zealand territory. Also the French went into the harbor in Auckland and blew up a Greenpeace Ship. When I was a kid, my Grandpa would always cough, I was to later find out is was a result of being exposed to gas in WWI in France in the trenches. My Dad's brother was killed in France in WWII, an uncle I never got to meet. Both men did what they did to ensure the French people lived free.
                Pete Cole AMCA #14441
                1947 Indian Chief

Comment

a few years ago I had the privilege to visit Fred Simeone's unsurpassed collection of sports racing cars in Philadelphia . This is probably the best collection in the world, in other words this is the stuff that Leno would probably love to own but never will, Fred told me he visits regularly! In this collection of superlatives rests one of the most famous Bugattis in the world. The 1937 "tank" model that won LeMans in that year. It was driven by Robert Benoist who became a resistance fighter in WW2 and was strung up with piano wire after being tortured by those lovely Nazis. Now , France has strict laws regulating the exporting of national "treasures" but why was this seemingly important car allowed to leave? My theory is that the government saw the connection was avoiding the potential controversy this car would arouse with memories of "Vichy" , a country of WW2 German sympathizers. Of course I could be wrong and it might just be French government incompetence .

Comment

One of Hitler's limos, a gold plated MBenz, was supposedly smuggled out of allied occupied Europe after the war, labled as farm equipment.
                    William McClean
                    AMCA # 60

Comment

Only the swastika badged wheel covers and other small ornaments were gold plate, the rest was paint.
                      William McClean
                      AMCA # 60

Comment

Originally posted by William McClean View Post
                        One of Hitler's limos, a gold plated MBenz, was supposedly smuggled out of allied occupied Europe after the war, labled as farm equipment.
                        Hitler's 770K Grosser Mercedes parade car resides on display in the Canadian War museum in Ottawa. They have repeatedly refused offers to sell it on the grounds that it might be used to glorify the fuerher. It was brought over here as war booty and is replete with bullet holes as found.

Comment

Was that the car that was at the Lars Anderson museum outside of Boston many years ago? If so, I saw it when I was young. How weird to see that car in a dusty old museum in America when only 20 years earlier it had been hauling a monster around Germany.
                          Last edited by exeric; 08-27-2009, 04:16 PM.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

The one I saw was touring all of the Nation's Finer Shopping Malls during the early ' 70s. I didn't see any bullet holes. It was calimed that the driver could lower the suspenion at speed.
                            William McClean
                            AMCA # 60

Comment

Farm Car

WAS THAT THE CAR THAT EDWARD KENEDDY DROVE INTO THE WATER AND KILLED THAT FINE LADY

Comment

Working...
                              X