Looking for early club info from 1920s-1940s in Pennsylvania area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for early club info from 1920s-1940s in Pennsylvania area

Hey guys,.... I thought I'd hit you fellas up to see if I could get rolling (no pun intended) into some personal history research I'd like to do regarding old club info from the eras of the 1920s through the mid 1940s in Pennsylvania.

My question more specifically is this....

Does anyone have info (records, pamphlets, membership cards, photos, etc.) of any MC clubs that were around in Pennsylvania (more specifically eastern PA) that existed in the 1920s, 30s or up int he mid 1940s? Not interested in anything past that time period. I know of the Blue Comets who were started in 1937,... (actually have been wondering if any of the original boys are still with us today?) Other than a couple, there seems to be so little info out there that I can't seem to come up with anything much at all?
    No photos, records, or writings of old clubs that once existed.

I've wanted to start picking up some of the old Harley Enthusiast mags but it seems there's always someone beating me to them, or outbidding me on ebay.

Who knows, maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places?? Anything's possible!

Thanks in advance,.... as its much appreciated.

Have a good one guys!
    Last edited by 1776J; 08-09-2009, 05:11 PM.
    "The beauty of life is more the crying baby than the great orchestra." -Woody Guthrie

Here's a couple........ but I'm guessing you may have already found this stuff... I know how you feel about The Enthusiasts..... I guess there's just too many people that want those magazines!!!

http://www.bluecometmc.com/history.htm

http://readingmc.com/
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Ole' Pa. M/C Clubs

Hey-good place to start is the Reading M/C Club in Oley, Pa. They have their clubhouse just a mile down the road from the Oley fairgrounds and they have a nice display of the early days. Pay them a visit and have a beer!! Also the Pagoda M/C Club has been around in that same area for years! Good Luck--BPK!!

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
        Here's a couple........ but I'm guessing you may have already found this stuff... I know how you feel about The Enthusiasts..... I guess there's just too many people that want those magazines!!!

http://www.bluecometmc.com/history.htm

http://readingmc.com/
        Yep,.... I mentioned I'm familiar with the Blue Comets MC. Thanks though.
        "The beauty of life is more the crying baby than the great orchestra." -Woody Guthrie

Comment

I had heard there there were clubs around back then (20s-40s) in the Wyoming Vally of PA also,... which interested me, though I've come up short on finding anything even remotely having to do with that.

Comment

The Enthusiast # 14 May 1920--" The Dubois M.C. of Dubois, Pa., after struggling along for about three years, is now standing pretty well on its own feet. At persent it has 35 members in good standing, with 37 prospects, and the slogan is 100 members." The same issue--" The Middle Atlantic Sectional Endurance Run has been awarded to the Reading M.C. of Reading, Pa. and is scheduled for July 24--25." October 1941 lists the Black Hawk Motorcycle Club in Chester, Pa. May 1951 --Monogahela Valley M.C. Donora, Pa and the Pagoda M.C. of Reading, Pa. , the Philadelphia Corsairs M.C. Queen City M.C. Allentown, Pa. & The Blue Comet M.C. Inc., Skippack, Pa. The Enthusiasts are going to be your best bet---Michael 6671

Comment

Originally posted by Paquette View Post
              The Enthusiast # 14 May 1920--" The Dubois M.C. of Dubois, Pa., after struggling along for about three years, is now standing pretty well on its own feet. At persent it has 35 members in good standing, with 37 prospects, and the slogan is 100 members." The same issue--" The Middle Atlantic Sectional Endurance Run has been awarded to the Reading M.C. of Reading, Pa. and is scheduled for July 24--25." October 1941 lists the Black Hawk Motorcycle Club in Chester, Pa. May 1951 --Monogahela Valley M.C. Donora, Pa and the Pagoda M.C. of Reading, Pa. , the Philadelphia Corsairs M.C. Queen City M.C. Allentown, Pa. & The Blue Comet M.C. Inc., Skippack, Pa. The Enthusiasts are going to be your best bet---Michael 6671

Thanks a million for the info and much appreciated help. That's some really cool history there.

Comment

I forgot to add this: Herbert Wagner's book " Harley-Davidson 1930--1941 Revolutionary Motorcycles & Those Who Rode Them" has a ton of info on early M.C. Clubs---

Comment

I forgot to add this: Herbert Wagner's book " Harley-Davidson 1930--1941 Revolutionary Motorcycles & Those Who Rode Them" has a ton of info on early M.C. Clubs---

Well I searched my local library and they don't have it. I called and they said another one in their system "might" have it, but they're unsure and don't think so even though it shows they have it because its been circulated so much.... did I mention our local library sucks?... ugh.....

Guess I'll see if the bookstore has any....
                  Last edited by 1776J; 08-10-2009, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Herb's excellent book can still be aquired here:

http://www.schifferbooks.com/newschi...sbn=088740894X

Comment

yes i'll pick up a used copy through one of the online book houses.

Comment

While you are at it, purchase all of Herbert's books as they are most certainly better and more valuable than the "Coffee Table" H-D books that are out there. They should be in every enthusiast's library----

Comment

While you are at it, purchase all of Herbert's books as they are most certainly better and more valuable than the "Coffee Table" H-D books that are out there. They should be in every enthusiast's library----

well, parts first, then a book here and there,... I'd rather be sharing my reading time with riding instead of no riding at all! lol....

Comment

Working...
                          X