Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any of the original "13 Rebels" still alive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any of the original "13 Rebels" still alive?

I'm a history nut by choice, by upbringing, etc. I'm out of step with this modern world, always have been and always will be. Was listening to Benny Good man, Glenn Miller and the likes since I was a little tyke, while the other kids were rocking out to "My sharona" and the Beetles, etc.

So, having an interest in so many things of old, and reading up on the old fellows from the 30s and 40s, I was wondering if anyone here might know if any of the the original guys who were members in the 1940s of the 13 Rebels MC who might still be alive?

Thanks guys... have a good one.
    Last edited by 1776J; 08-05-2009, 11:11 AM.
    "The beauty of life is more the crying baby than the great orchestra." -Woody Guthrie

i guess you mean these folks?
    http://www.13rebelsmc.org/Home.html
    http://theselvedgeyard.wordpress.com...torcycle-gang/

Comment

Originally posted by flat-happy View Post
      Yes sir,...indeed I do,.... the one and only.

I've looked around the net, etc and it looks like (though I may be wrong) that the likes of Mr. Sheldon "Shell" Thuet and others have passed away?
      "The beauty of life is more the crying baby than the great orchestra." -Woody Guthrie

Comment

That is COOL !!!! Ya know...... Not many folk know it but Lee Marvin was a real WWII hero. Paps

Comment

Originally posted by Paps View Post
          That is COOL !!!! Ya know...... Not many folk know it but Lee Marvin was a real WWII hero. Paps

Lee Marvin served in WWII in the Marines in the Pacific and was awarded the purple heart, but not the navy cross as many have thought in recent years due to recent rumors.
          **(you can read more here at the Arlington cemetery website devoted to Arlington Cemetary
          http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/lmarvin.htm

In fact most people don't know that the fellow known to most of us as "Captain Kangaroo" was in fact a WWII Marine though enlisted right before the Japanese surrender and never saw combat. AKA,... MR. Bob Keeshan.

If you want to talk with a WWII Marine Corps hero, talk with Frank Salemno of "Frank's Barbershop" in Chestnutt Hill, PA. He took out a Japanese lookout in a look out tower for Japanese artillery. Frank, though modest, will admit, without him doing that, a lot more Marines would have lost their lives, but thanks to him, many were saved!

There are a lot of stories of young men who came back from the war and got involved in some good clubs and organizations. Not to mention all the fellows who were hopping up old jalopies BEFORE WWII who later enlisted and had some great stories of their own!

In the revived late 1930s hot rodding club a friend and I revived, called The Hot Irons, I have learned quite a lot from relatives of past members through the long hours of research into the club and the guys in it, not to mention our one original member who is still alive today. Within the club were two fellows, brothers in fact, that served with the 442 Infantry Div. in WWII. If you're not familiar with that div. look it up, they were made up of all Japanese Americans, and are still the most highly decorated div in American military history till today (unless something changed that I'm unaware of??)

(You can read about the hot rodding club, the guys who were the originals, and its history here at our website....)
          www.hotironclub.com
          Last edited by 1776J; 08-05-2009, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X