Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P4 Gas or Worse ?

Got his email from a local bro. Check it out. Paps

Went to the gas station this morning to fill up my Harley with what use to be premium. Took off for an all day ride. Got 5 miles down road when my bike started acting up bad. It was shutting down, stalling ,missing, back firing, and would not idle at all, so i turned around, got it on a back road, and nursed it home. I jumped in my pick up and went to the gas station in ********, where i bought the gas. I checked the pump and it said flex-fuel 85% ethanol. When i ask the attendant, actually the owner of ********, he said that they are doing away with premium and going to this flex-fuel. Let me tell you this ! DO-NOT put this in your motorcycle !!! I spent all morning getting it out of my fuel tank. I then talked to the Harley shop were my bike is headed next, for a good going over. I put about 15 miles on the bike with that fuel. It turned my exhaust pipes blue about 8 inches from my heads, so be real careful and read when fueling any thing ! I was told will make a regular car run bad. Only certain vehicle's can use flex -fuel. The gas stations who sell it have the brochures on it. You can also find it on line at drivingethanol.org I also did a flex-fuel search. It brought up lot of info. From what i found, ********, is the only station, at present, caring it with in 25 miles of my house. Just my luck to get gas there.

That sucks.

I couple years I rode back into the Mid-West, and all I could find was the 10% Ethanol fuels. Didn't seem to hurt my Evo much, but I was leery of it after reading what some alternative fuels can do to rubber. I was glad to back home in the PNW where we didn't have that stuff.
    Now flash forward to today---- it's everywhere.
    But this "Flex-fuel" is different stuff yet? Okay, time to go read up on it.
    Thanks for the post, Paps.

Comment

Our bikes are doomed to become paper weights if a solution isn’t found soon for this fueling problem. We’ve known for quite a while that this problem would affect us all sooner or later. Looks like later came sooner than expected.
      ------------
      Steve
      AMCA #7300

Comment

We all know mixing ethanol with gas is stupid, so let us ignore the politics for now,

85% is supposed to only be used in vehicles designed for it.

I am surprised that the pump nozzle isn't designed to prevent introduction into incompatible vehicles, as was mandated when lead was outlawed.

10% ETOH is tolerable, but the extraneous additives associated with it are the ones doing harm to our vintage vehicles.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

We can burn alcohol in our vintage carburetor scoots, if we be a makin it on our own Bro's ! Time for everyone to build a backyard still ! This crap hurt me ole sunbird recently. Though computerized somewhat, the pc still couldn't regulate the formula correctly. Until this email was sent to me, I wasn't sure what the heck happened to her. The symptoms felt by the bike rider were identical to the symptoms I experienced with my little ole sunbird.

Comment

Paps, Alcohol is the easy part. Where are we going to get the nitrogen, like Shell uses though?
            ------------
            Steve
            AMCA #7300

Comment

a place where i get my home brew supplies sells stills they call them essential oil extracters legal in pa.
              rob ronky #10507
              www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

My engines don't run right on the Shell fuel either Steve. Must be to primitive for their fuels, I guess.

If it ain't legal....we make it legal... After all !! Are we not the PEOPLE ? Hic..Up...

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                  10% ETOH is tolerable, but the extraneous additives associated with it are the ones doing harm to our vintage vehicles.
                  ....Cotten
                  That is so true Cotton. Anyone needing proof of it just needs to remove the heads from a low compression flathead after about 500 miles and see the build up of “stuff” which these poor little engines can’t burn or expel.
                  ------------
                  Steve
                  AMCA #7300

Comment

You can test for achohol content pretty easily. Take a glass jar, put in about 1/4 of the contents water. Mark on the jar the level. Fill the rest up with the fuel. Put on the lid and shake the jar .Look for the new water level. It will be measurable.

I suppose you could use this method to remove the achohol.
                    Steve
                    Steve

Comment

Working...
                    X