• Please Check Your Tires !

Defective Tires -- Possible Recall ahead

Harley Davidson, Honda and Goodyear Dunlop should investigate a number
    of
    motorcycle crashes involving sudden deflation of Goodyear Dunlop D402
    and
    other tires, attorney Billy Edwards said today. The tires, installed as
    original equipment or sold as replacement tires on touring and cruiser
    motorcycles, may need to be recalled, he added.

Five more instances of sudden deflation of the Dunlop D402 tire have
    been
    reported to the safety website, http://www.UnsafeMotorCycles.com
    , he noted. All four incidents
    involved
    Harley Davidson Ultra Classic touring motorcycles and occurred in the
    last
    13 months, he said. The latest incident occurred in Marino Valley, CA,
    he
    said. Others have been reported in Massachusetts, Texas and Georgia, he
    said.

"We believe this is the tip of the iceberg. The defect in these tires
    appears to be worsening as the tires age, leading to more instances of
    sudden deflation and serious injury," Edwards said.

These reports join at least two lawsuits filed recently involving
    allegations of Goodyear Dunlop tire deflations, one in Butte, MT, the
    other
    in Atlanta, GA.

According to the allegations described in a lawsuit in the Butte, MT
    crash,
    a defect in the bead seat area of the tire allowed excessive leakage of
    air
    leading to a "sudden and catastrophic deflation" of the tire. Stephen
    Gageby, Butte, MT, was killed, and his wife was seriously injured in the
    resulting crash, the suit says.

The Georgia suit was filed in U.S. District Court, Middle District of
    Georgia, Athens Division,(Case no. 3:09-cv-74 ), and involved the death
    of a
    passenger Patricia Morris. Among other things, the suit alleges Harley
    Davidson knew it was "false and misleading" to represent that its 2007
    FLHTCU and its tires were safe for carrying up to two riders weighing
    more
    than 250 pounds each, plus their cargo and motorcycle accessories.

The Montana suit (Cause No. DV-08- 480) was filed Nov. 10, 2008, in the
    Second Judicial District Court, Butte Silver-Bow County. Attorneys
    representing the Gageby estate are Michael McKeon, with the law firm of
    McKeon and Anderson, PC, Butte, MT, and Billy Edwards, with the Edwards
    Law
    Firm, Corpus Christi, TX.

Both HD and Goodyear Dunlop have denied they have received any
    complaints or
    reports from consumers about defect issues with these tires.

That's not good.........never guess what was JUST installed last month on the rear on my 01 roadglide.
    I usually run the police tires on the rear because of the stiffer sidewalls and harder rubber compound for pushing the sidecar but they were out and I just couldn't wait.
    Chuck
    AMCA Member#1848

Comment

This sounds like a trial lawyer's wet dream. A catastrophic tire failure could have had a million variables that preceeded that occurance. The tire and rim could have been "curbed". The tire could have been run on low pressure for an extended time. Contact with something in the road. These are a few possibilities. If you watch auto racing you will see that catastrophic tire failure often has a "cause" that results in the "effect". There are tire defects and I have experienced them in a car but they give you a warning. I have had sidewalls rupture like a hernia and again, you'd have to be a zombie not to "feel" it in the handling. I had a rear tire blow on a bike and I guess you could call that a "catastrophic" tire failure. If you have some riding experience, you gather it up and get it under control. Of coarse, there are situations that don't give you the time or place to do that and it could get ugly. The tire companys are probably screwed because lawyers are masters at painting these pictures. I don't mean to sound heartless and it's possible that it is all due to a bad tire, but I weigh a 100+ years of tire building experience versus a rider's judgement and experience. I would put the onus of proof on the rider.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

It happened to a good friend of mine, just a few weeks ago. I hope he pipes in here on it. If not a lawyers wet dream, maybe those 100 plus years of tire building go out the door when the tires are manufactured elsewhere ? Paps

Comment

Pa's right, this just happened to me and my wife. Ohio roads suck, they have pot holes the size of houses and the height difference between the road surface and a bridge is measured in feet, not inches, but still, I've never experienced anything like this.

We were heading home on Route 11 in Ohio when I felt the back of the bike twitch. We were doing about 75 MPH. I felt it again and then all of a sudden the rear tire blew. Man that was a scary ride.....the bikes ass end went right then left then back and forth. I grabbed a handful of front brake. All I can say is thank God I road dirt bikes a lot in my life because I believe it was those skills that saved our lives that day. The bike only had 7600 miles on the tire.

I've already contacted the link you gave Pa and am waiting for a reply. I have the tire and it's still on the rim for proof.

I'll keep you informed.

Kurt
          Last edited by KDR; 07-14-2009, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Glad to hear you are both are Ok Kurt. Brenda and I had the same experiance last September. Not a good feeling.
            ------------
            Steve
            AMCA #7300

Comment

Originally posted by Paps View Post
              It happened to a good friend of mine, just a few weeks ago. I hope he pipes in here on it. If not a lawyers wet dream, maybe those 100 plus years of tire building go out the door when the tires are manufactured elsewhere ? Paps
              You're right there Paps. If it comes from China or India. . . Watch out! I don't want to come off xenaphobic but I haven't seen a product from either of those countries that I would bet my life on.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

What, are you telling me that the Great American ICON
                HARLEY DAVIDSON is outsourcing their tires from
                India or China?

Comment

H-D tires are made in New York. By a Japanese owned company.
                  Be sure to visit;
                  http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                  Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                  Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

It is the replacement tires you got to keep an eye on. Name brand means much of nothing anymore.

Comment

Guess that's another reason I run Metzlers. They did a voluntary recall this year because some sidewalls got mislabeled in regards to load rating. they sent me a notice and helped me arrange for a local dealer to provide, mount and balance at no cost to me a brand new tire, even though I had run the tire for 6 months. That's the first tire I didn't need to curse at in the comfort of my own garage in a decade or more. I threw away the Dunlops that came on my modern motorcycle before they were anywhere near worn out. Personally I never did like the way they handled.
                      Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Rapide tire deflation - front...whole nother ballgame

Howdy Chaps,

This one's very fresh on my mind; had a very rapid front tire deflation on my Shadow riding two up on on a tree lined curvy road a month ago, managed to keep it upright, involving the last 50 ft or so with the front wheel off the ground as I held it up by the now bent handlebars while sliding on my feet. I am not ashamed to admit, it was a game changer. The magnitude of this event was made all that much greater by shaking of a confidence built over 38 years of aggressive (before age 50) frequent 2 wheeling in which I'd seen/conquered or at least gracefully dismounted from everything encountered. Almost better to have been a newbie and concluded, oh well.

As a classic/antique enthusiast with an eye for NOS/original,in retrospect, I've been very cavalier about rubber on my machines - one closet in the house is dedicated to storing them for machines seeing regular use - and have looked on with no particular alarm as my buds set off on long rides aboard machines with tires 50 years old of unknown provenance. Controlling a rear deflation is a piece of cake compared to the front, the violence experienced at the helm of this rather lighweight 480lb machine as the tire attempted to dismount itself was an eye opener even to this daily weightlifter. Had it not been equiped with legendarily strong forks - girdraulics - which did not whip preserving some semblance of control and the tire only dropped fractionally to the rim (3.00 x 21) we would have been down in a flash.

So the heavier your machine, the greater the aspect ratio (5.00 x 16) and the presence of telescopics or similarly weak forks in twist, if one of these events occurs over about 30mph, you're likely down...violently.

As the inner tube stem drillings on original Dunlop rims are only nominal over the stem diameter, even minimal entrapment from misalignment can be catastrophic. Unlike vintage tubes with very wide vulcanized hoods firmly holding the inner tube stem, Michelins (made in Eastern Europe) have only a 1/8" perimeter standoff from the stem for the attachment to the tube and this one pulled free on one side and then completely off. I'll be studying rim tape, inner facings of tires for abrasion points and tube fitment very closely from now on. Additionally, for sizes smaller than 4.00 x 19, for which ultra lightweight tubes are made for trials bikes, only the heaviest available will be fitted. Following this event, I took a spare 3.25 x 19 and easily pulled the tube completely apart with my bare hands.
                        Cheerio,
                        Peter
                        1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

PRG, I hear you......had a front go down on my other Ultra in Europe a few years ago. The thing about my front tire episode, the bike wouldn't lean over....it wanted to stay upright. It was also a Dunlop and with zero air pressure, it still looked inflated. That's when I had good thoughts about Dunlop......

bmh.....I now run Metzler's on the Ultra.....the ME880's and I can tell you it was like going from a farm tractor to a Cadillac. These are the smoothest riding tires I've ever been on.

I talked with the representative from UnsafeMotorcycles.Com and told her about our close call. She said the reports are the belts in the tire are defective and they're trying to prove this. When I told her I still had the tire and it was still mounted on the rim, she immediately referred our case to the attorney. I'm waiting on a call.

Kurt

Comment

36 years ago I had a memorable experience with a flat on the front tire at my usual highway cruising speed of 80 mph +. What was so memorable is the bike tracked relatively straight and I managed to ride the machine the several remaining miles home at a much reduced speed. This was accomplished riding 2 up . The bike was a 1966 BMW r60 with an EARLES FORK. I can't remember the tire but I am sure it was an el cheapo as I had no money then, probably a Lien Chin , we called them "lean skins" they often went on sale at Canadian Tire for $10. BMW steel rims are dimpled in 3 places in the centre to prevent the tire from rolling off the rim when deflated .

Comment

Howdy Barry,

Had this save only been necessary to execute in a straight line, rather, it was in a series of sweepers and that's where the problems arose. It was best to hold it in a straight line while scrubbing off speed as I attempted to do by using all to lanes to straighten out my line, but an approaching right hand blind crest required returning to my side of the road. That's where it got gnarly, the minute you put a little lean/steeriong into it, the now deflated rubber crossed over the rim face in cross section to wad up on the outside of the nearside rim face with resulting huge jerks at the bars. I think such a narrow rim exacerbated the situation and had this been a much wider 16 incher with a lower aspect ration as on one of my HD's it might have been less dramatic.

As a fan of old tires, some in my stash of 15 or so date back almost 60 years. I was on a 50 year old NOS in the wrapper Avon Speedmaster..but with a modern very soft/thin inner tube. This tire by comparison to our new high histeresis replacements is stiff, with a bead rim interface that is so tight as to risk structurally damaging it when mounting. It makes it very difficult to center the innner tube stem perfectly. It's modern equivalent by the same manufacturer almost falls on the rim without tire irons by comparison. Have no doubt the new one would have dismounted and wrapped around a fork leg under the same circumstances. Now, where the problem arose here, it would appear, is unlike vintage tubes which were very thick with large vulcanized shrouds around the stem area, this one (standard issue) are rather light with minimal strength. Everyone's obsessed with unsprung weight these days so, to get the modern equivalent of original fitment to our vintage machines you have to get a heavy duty dirt bike - or similar - tube specifically by name.

Which, I cannot imagine trying to wrestle one of those heavy/stiff Taiwanese Armstrong tires from back in the 80's onto a 16 inch rim with some of the 16 inch tubes I've seen available lately without bruising/puncturing them.
                              Cheerio,
                              Peter
                              1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Working...
                              X