Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My horror story

My horror story

I bought a used, no warranty expressed or implied, 1969 FLH from a Harley dealer who, according to the ad, had a 80 percent restoration done by one of his "factory trained" mechanics. Here's the ad.

NO RESERVE AUCTION!! YE WHO BIDS LAST WINS!!

THIS IS AN AUCTION FOR AN 80% RESTORED 1969 ELETRA GLIDE.

THE BIKE WAS BOUGHT AS A BASKET CASE A FEW YEARS AGO AND WAS ASSEMBLED AS A DISPLAY PIECE FOR OUR HARLEY SHOP. THE TECHNICIAN WHO BUILT THE BIKE IS HARLEY MASTER CERTIFIED. IN FACT HE WAS CERTIFIED IN MILWAUKEE BACK IN THE 50'S. SO HE'S SEEN THEM BEFORE. IT HAS FRESH PAINT ON THE TANK AND FENDERS. THE BATWING, BAGS AND PACK ISN' T PAINTED.

FOR A MOTOR IT HAS A 74" SHOVEL HEAD WHICH RUNS AND DRIVES REAL NICE. I GOT A CHANCE TO CRUISE THE BIKE FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS AND IT REALLY GETS YOU A LOT OF LOOKS. THE TIRES ARE REPRODUCTION TIRES. GIVES YOU THE VINTAGE LOOK WITH MODERN PERFORMANCE.

MOST OF THE BIKE IS ORIGINAL. IT DOES HAVE AN S&S CARB AND WAS CHANGED OVER TO AN ALTERNATOR INSTEAD OF THE ORIGINAL GENERATOR TYPE CHARGE. IT HAS THE STOCK PROFILE CAM'S AND FLYWHEEL.

IT DOES "MARK IT'S TERRITORY" A LITTLE BUT HEY IT'S A HARLEY.

TAKE THE OPPORTUNITY TO OWN A CLASSIC. THIS BIKE IS THE REAL DEAL.

I'LL BE AVAILABLE TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE BY CALLING, EMAIL OR EVEN EBAY QUESTIONS.

Nice fresh paint on the frame and nice fresh paint on the tins, which should have been prepped better 'cause some of it is now blistering, and some newer aftermarket chrome. Not so bad for the price as it came with saddlebags, tour pak and fairing that were not repainted which was ok 'cause I hadn't planned to use them anyway.

Well after trailering it home I started it and after a minute or 2 it started smoking, the longer it ran the worse it got, I thought maybe it was broken in wrong and the rings didn't seat right??? So I decided to pop the heads off and look. When I pulled the front rocker box off oil came pouring out and the heads were full of oil, crap!! The head came off next and the oil return passage was full of oil so I carefully sent some wire down the hole and it stopped at the case, so I slipped both of the jugs up just far enough to see that the gaskets did not have a hole in them for the oil return, damn generic James gaskets!!! If the seller actually "got a chance to cruise the bike for a couple of days" I'm sure he really did get "lots of looks" as bad as it smoked!!!!!

Well, now I'm thinking maybe that was just an oversight, the mechanic is only human after all, so I hole punched a couple holes, button her up and fired it again. Still smoking. Off came the heads again, in hindsight I should have checked them the first time they were off but, a "Harley mechanic" put this together!!! Well it turns out the guides were shot, the rear exhaust was so bad I pulled it out with two fingers!!! Double crap!!! A red flag should have popped up when I read "assembled as a display piece"

Heads were sent out to be repaired with new guides, unleaded seats, valves and springs installed. While the heads were out, I bought new aftermarket heads (yuck) to get her running to see what else was wrong. It didn't take long as she started smoking again. Off came the new heads and the jugs. Upon inspection, the cylinder walls were slightly scored so I checked the rings, the middle rings were in upside down scraping oil into the cylinder. I bit the bullet and put new oversized pistons in and finally no more smoke but it just didn't run right, it gas fouls the plugs.

I leaned the carb out and it's still fouling, so I decide to replace the whole ignition system thinking it's probably old and tired like the heads. New coil, plug wires, plugs, points and condenser no difference. I finally got that straightened out (for now) with the help from fellow club members (see "Gas fouling and idle problems" in the Shovelhead section).

Did I mention the electric start problem? When I released the starter button the starter would continue to turn!!! I've replaced everything associated with the starting system from easy to get to, solenoid, relay, starter button to hard and expensive, clutch hub.
    I finally installed an after market kick start unit so I could get her fired up. Right now I'm waiting for the "junker" primary cover to come in so I can cut it up and "look" at the starter drive in action. Maybe it's overshooting the ring gear and I'll have mess with thrust washer thicknesses.

At least now with some of the problems "fixed" I can ride her around.

The moral of the story, let the buyer beware, what seems like a good deal may not be.

Thanks for letting me vent!!

XLCH72

OUCH!
    Buyer be ware for sure. My favorite line is "It ran great when I pushed it in to the garage a few years ago."
    ------------
    Steve
    AMCA #7300

Comment

better line runs great needs tune up
      rob ronky #10507
      www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

My first Knucklehead went much the same way. It was something of a mess when I first got it, but it did run. After a year or so, it needed a motor rebuild and I didn't know diddly about engines. I took it to a guy who looked the part and talked the talk. What a mistake. Before I took it to him it took 25 kicks to start. After he was done with it a gorilla on steroids couldn't start it. He skipped town so I took it to a chopper shop with a better reputation. To make a long story short, they played around with it and miraculously got it to work again. The first 2 years of owning that bike cost me a lot of money but the bitter lessons I learned from the collection of crooks and morons that worked on that bike taught me the prime directive I live by today; If you want anything done to your own satisfaction, do it yourself. I do all of my own work with the exception of top ends, saddles, and electrical component rebuilding. I have found great satisfaction in doing things myself and discovered another world of collecting tools and learning how to use them. I hope you get your '69 running well. I had a '69 and consider it the second best motorcycle I have ever owned.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

check the manual but i think the oil returns through the pushrod tubes on that model and should have the base gasket blocked off. i have seen aftermarket lifter blocks that i had to clean out the flash casting on to get the oil to return properly. you have to follow the red line in the manual for the year of you bike AND the parts you are running. most mechanics don't realize that harley changed their oiling system many times over the years and most aftermarket part suppliers don't even know "what fits what"

Comment

Well I think one needs to be very careful there are people out there that will do anything for a quick buck !!!

Comment

A friend just went through the exact same starter thing. It turned out to be bad solenoids..... 5 of them in a row!!! All Accell brand. Drove us nuts. He ordered a solenoid from All Balls and everything worked fine. Evidently the new made solenoids stick for some reason, the All Balls one is old stock from Brazil or something, looks like from the 70's guessing by the packaging. They told us when they are gone they are gone. So add four speed electric start solenoids to the list of crap the orient can't get right.
              Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

My 1931 VC Harley - Properly named "Lazarus"

Hey Guys - My Stomach gets tight when I read your post - I had a very similar story several years ago. I purchased a 1931 VC Harley on Ebay as a running bike - "Just needs paint and a few missing parts"!! Ha Ha - It was soon revealed the proper name for this bike was Lazarus - Because we had to raise it from the Dead!! Everything we inspected had to be replaced or rebuilt - I mean EVERYTHING! - I must admit - It did start and run when I got it, I don't know how?? but after spending double the money I expected, She is a pretty Good rider today - Causes you to Buyer Beware Attitude even when the seller is an AMCA Member.
                David LLoyd
                www.dswebdesign.com

Comment

Working...
                X