Finding a 38 knuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a 38 knuck

First, hello to everyone. This is my first post on the forum and I'm glad to be here. A little background. My wife and I ride an 06 Screamin Eagle Ultra and love it. We got the motorcycle itch a long time ago from my folks. They rode pre WWII up through 1953 which brings me to a question. The favorite motorcycle of my folks was their 1938 Knucklehead. I have lots of pictures of them on it and lots of stories. We lost my dad last August, he was 92 on the 4th of July. Mom is still around and just turned 94.

The question, and I know the chances are slim, would anyone have any ideas on how to track down the 38 knuck? I have the original sales contract including the serial number which is 38E L3195. Purchase price was $554.40 and payments were $30.80 per month, wow. The contract was by Kilbourn Finance Company, just a little bit of trivia.

So, if anyone has any ideas that would be great. Knowing there's not too great a chance to find it, hoping however, I've started my search for something similar. Got a lot to learn first but having fun doing it. My wife even approves!

Thanks - Greg

First, welcome to the forum.

As for your quest, you'll need a little more money than what they cost new.........................

Comment

Regretfully there is no such thing as a central clearing house for old motorcycles. Unless someone serendipitously happened to see your post and knew of that bike the chances are nil to zero that you can find it. If you know someone in Law Enforcement they may be able to run NCIC on it, which will only tell you if it was stolen or used in a crime, and only if that occurred since the system became available. You can try to trace it through state DMV systems but you would have to search all of them since they don't talk to each other! And most states dump info if a VIN has not been registered for some time period. I wish you all the luck in finding you parents old bike but the reality is you may have to settle for a near facsimile of it. Time has not been too kind to old motorcycles and many did not survive, especially with a World War thrown in, but amazingly there are some out there not discovered and others that have had hard lives but have been reborn!
      Best of luck in your search
      Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I am touched by your request. I bet the bike is still out there also. But yes...it will cost you dearly to obtain, once found. But by the way you posted....you mean to get it back into the family. That is very honorable. I wish you the best ! I lost both of my Parents. I would do most anything to carry out there legacy. Paps

Comment

you would have a much better chance trying to trace it by owners than by vin number----try to get any details from anyone who remembers the sale even if only the date and possibly what state it went to first. maybe then you can check that state's dmv records. i have found many that way but you have to make a friend in the dmv or law enforcement or you will find they aren't very co-operative. they are pretty busy in some places and understaffed but usually willing to help a friend more than a stranger. good luck and keep us posted. depending on condition a 38 will run anywhere from $10000 to $70000 and there are some owners on here that wouldn't take $100000 for their 38 original paint

Comment

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I do have a few clues that I remember from dad and mom's memory is still pretty good. Sounds like tracing the ownership through the sale of the bike might be the best way to track it. I'll see if my mom can remember who they sold it to. Hopefully there may be someone still around to talk to. Like my mom keeps saying, she's outliving most of her friends. I wish I had the interest in this several years ago when I could have asked these questions.

Anyway, thanks all for your replies! Perhaps I can figure out how to get some photos posted to share some of these memories. One kind of neat piece of history to this bike. My dad and mom were married November 15, 1941 and then Pearl Harbor came along and my dad immediately joined the navy. They stored the bike in the basement, along with a friends bike, for the duration of the war. They used block and tackle to get them in and out of the basement. I think the access was from the outside, more like a cellar I guess. I've got lots of stories that relate to this bike and others they had. I believe they got a different knucklehead sometime after the war. Anyway, enough stories for now.

Thanks Greg

Comment

Awesome legacy, looking forward to photos and more stories. Good luck with your investigation!

Comment

I recall a '38 EL for sale

Just for grinz...I had to check Wasserman's page....

that '38EL is numbered 2580...

...3195 is just a little off! It was worth a shot, though.

...kinda like Lotto
                # 5844

Comment

Put some pictures on Photobucket, hope the link works.....

http://s622.photobucket.com/albums/tt303/bojiboy56/?

Comment

Originally posted by rashd View Post
                    Just for grinz...I had to check Wasserman's page....

that '38EL is numbered 2580...

...3195 is just a little off! It was worth a shot, though.

...kinda like Lotto
                    Thanks for checking, you never know.....

Comment

Originally posted by bojiboy View Post
                      Put some pictures on Photobucket, hope the link works.....

http://s622.photobucket.com/albums/tt303/bojiboy56/?
                      Great photos, bojiboy! Thanks for the link!

Comment

ebrown@pgonline.com Is advertising a 1938 on georges website.

Peter Reeves 860

Comment

Greg, I loved your pictures. It means so much more when there are people connected to the machines. Thanks for sharing them with us.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by pete reeves View Post
                            ebrown@pgonline.com Is advertising a 1938 on georges website.

Peter Reeves 860
                            I'm not familiar with Georges web site. Do you have the URL for it??

Thanks

Comment

i think carl is making the trim rings on the front wheel in the picture of the 38

Comment

Working...
                              X