Stainless spokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless spokes

Well I finally got around to glass beading my 19" stainless spokes for the VL yesterday at work,and when it got to the part of blasting the spoke nipples seems that these are plated is this a comon thing I assumed that stainless spokes would also include stainless nipples?
    Chuck
    AMCA Member#1848

Stainless spokes often have plated brass nipples to help eliminate galling. Stainless nipples are available for most spokes but must be ordered that way. The also need to be lubed well to prevent the galling during assembly and truing. What brand are your spokes?
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

One of the reasons I only buy Buchanan's spokes. They have stainless nipples and they include a bottle of special anti-seize too
      Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Thanks for the replys,I just figured that it would mean the nipples would be stainless I am also aware of the problems with stainless on stainless gauling being a stainless welder for the past 30 years in the dairy and food industry.
        I went to bucchannons site last night and they were down I am going to try again later today
        Chuck
        AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Originally posted by bmh View Post
          One of the reasons I only buy Buchanan's spokes. They have stainless nipples and they include a bottle of special anti-seize too
          Their anti-seize works well also. I've removed stainless spokes and nipples, using their anti-seize, and never had a problem. Paps

Comment

A word of caution, if I remember right Buchanon's nipples don't interchange with most other folks spokes. Also be sure to sand the little "B" s off the heads before you glassbead them.
            Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Thanks Paps And Brian I will keep those things in mind
              Chuck
              AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Working...
              X