Documenting Senior Bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Documenting Senior Bikes

The recurring idea of documenting Senior and Winner's Circle motorcycles for the benefit of future restorations came up in the Panhead catagory. Since this applies to all antique motorcycles it would be interesting to get club member ideas on the concept. In my opinon, the most discussed motorcycle on this forum is the 1965 H-D FL. Wouldn't it be great if there was a FREE photographic resource available to people interested in this and any other motorcycle. We all know that fantastic motorcycles show up at all of our meets but if you don't get your own photographs of a particular bike, you may never get that opportunity again. People bring their bikes to get recognition from their peers so they are most often happy to share their knowledge about the history and nuts and bolts of their motorcycle. At it's best, a club like the AMCA should encourage the perpetuation of knowledge about these old bikes. We have the motorcycles, we have the generous and knowledgeable owners, and we have a "library". Is there an interest in this?
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

you think we can make a photo bucket acount so everyone can post photos .it could be setup so everybody has the password and name.(same one) i know photo hosting takes up alot of space so let them host it .if password was printed in amca mag all members would get it even chris just a few days late. then from all over the globe people can share photos of great restorations or original bikes and the photo will last for more then a few months . it really wont take miuch to do.we just need a secure way to get the password out. otherwise every buthead would spam it
    rob ronky #10507
    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

I think it's a fine idea, however with one reservation. In my mind, the absolute definition of what is correct can only be discerned from factory photos and unrestored originals.
      Now, for the sake of conversation, what if an example of (insert any make, model, and year) of motorcycle became an accepted standard through the process you propose, and it happened to have a minor but undetected flaw in the restoration? The concern (at least to me) is that something other than exactly correct might become the baseline for future restorations. (Due respect given to all Judges.)
      However, I do like the idea of 100-point machines and winner circle specimens being displayed for the benefit of the members.
      Am I the only one that thinks this way?

Comment

That's a great idea Eric! It would make things go a lot easier for folks who can't get to the meets to see these perfectly restored machines. Shots from all different angles that show the nitty gritty details would be invaluable in the restoration process.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
          I think it's a fine idea, however with one reservation. In my mind, the absolute definition of what is correct can only be discerned from factory photos and unrestored originals.
          Now, for the sake of conversation, what if an example of (insert any make, model, and year) of motorcycle became an accepted standard through the process you propose, and it happened to have a minor but undetected flaw in the restoration? The concern (at least to me) is that something other than exactly correct might become the baseline for future restorations. (Due respect given to all Judges.)
          However, I do like the idea of 100-point machines and winner circle specimens being displayed for the benefit of the members.
          Am I the only one that thinks this way?
          Nope Bro ! I think that way also. I do like the idea also.

Comment

You do have a point there Rooster. I wonder how many true unrestored originals are actually out there? Unless it was stored away early in it's life there were bound to be replacement parts put on at some point. One has to have respect for the judges and their search for all that is correct.
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

just to let you know, Rocky Halter and I talked about this 4-5 years ago, about photographing and documenting Winners Circle bikes along with the owners story about the restoration. that is actually how the library came to be.
              we wanted the information to be available to all the members as a reference tool.
              now if I could find people willing to get pictures and stories about these bikes, maybe we could get this off the ground
              Kevin Valentine 13
              EX-Chief Judge

Comment

Winners Circle References

I remember these conversations also Kevin. I've heard rumors of Ed Youngblood doing a book on Seniors for future reference also. Just rumors though.
                RF.

Comment

Most everyone has a digital camera now and it costs nothing to make those pictures materialize on a website. I imagined that the club could set up a place in the library with tons of memory so members could upload their pictures. There would have to be some rules and guidelines so verifiable Senior bikes and Original bikes only, are in the files. Just a few thoughts:

a. Must have the owners permission.
                  b. It would be nice to have the owners thoughts but it would not be mandatory.
                  c. Like our forum, the pictures could be posted and members could post their opinions and observations. No bike is perfect and sometimes, more is learned from mistakes and inaccuracy.
                  d. The library would be password protected so members would have to use their forum password from their computer.
                  e. Bikes would be listed alphabetically, and chronologically.
                  f. Basically, just keep it simple so it's easy upload and download.

I'm sure there are other things but I have to be somewhere.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Awesome if this comes together, i guess the majority of members can never catch all the winners circle bikes(maybe a few judges excepted) most certainly not in good detail.
                    Must be a regular thing where a new project comes along, and you just wish you had got good photos of that brand/model/year you now have a keen interest in.

Comment

Great idea. Let's do it before "someone" does it in a book to make money off our Senior and WC bikes. I only have one that would qualify but would gladly send in pictures and a short write up.
                      Attached Files
                      Louie
                      FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
                      Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
                      YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

You're right Louie. Ed Youngblood does good work but this would be an on-going thing that would grow and be alive. Your H-D Sport model is exactly the kind of bike that needs to be documented and preserved.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

Hey Louie,

Can you post some more pictures of your Senior ?

I think it is a Great idea to have the WC machines cataloged in the AMCA Library for future generations to use as an aid in restoration. I feel that these photos should be free to View by any AMCA club member.

Once a machine has achieved this designation it does not go thru the rigoruous judging process, other that a cursory look by the judges to maintain that status, but it is not the High Point value that is required to gain entry to the Winners Circle. As a result, over time some of these machines get a little " long of tooth " in their appearance. The WC machines should be captured and documented in their prime, at this 2nd pinacle of its' existance.
                          William McClean
                          AMCA # 60

Comment

I'm thinking as a start we should have all that have a 1950 FL"s that have made muster posted. That would be a good start. (selfish aren't I)
                            Moose
                            aka Glenn

Comment

All this is great! For those like me that were never judged but still work hard to improve their bikes, you would be offering a valuable tool to invest passion and money in an effective way! Countless things I made wrong because of lack of good examples. Just to name few, bought fake speedos... bought wrong seats... bought wrong shifter gates... wrong cable clips and so on.

When will you start? I barely can wait!

I have also a proposal of an "extension" to this project. A duly separated place for NWC (non-winner-circle) bikes where pictures of our profane ones could also be posted to allow judges and experienced people to freely help us by bringing our attention to incorrect parts!

Kind regards to all from Tokyo.

Chris.

Comment

Working...
                              X