harley eight valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    Hot shoe racer Bob Shirley's card says "The older I get the faster I went".
    As the other saying goes -
    "You Don't Stop Riding Because You Get OLD"
    "You Get Old Because You Stop Riding"

Gary Stark
    Starklite Cycle

Comment

• In falls, riders often collected more than their fair share of splinters. One unfortunate, who reallv earned his nickname of Glen ‘Slivers’ Boyd, came off in front of a capacity crowd at Omaha, Nebraska, on lulv 4, 1912. His rear tyre blew and locked the wheel, and Boyd slid for 100 feet at the bottom of the banking, trapped beneath the machine. During a fortnight’s stay in hospital physicians removed some 200 splinters from his body. The longest, measuring over 14 inches. was in his thigh. After its removal Bovd used to carry it with him to prove the truth of his story.

I found the photo of "Sliver's Boyd". He is standing next to what's left of the airplane. In the background is "Reckless Ross"(arrow) who was another motorcycle daredevil from that time period. Looking at Glen Boyd's face ya gotta wonder if that is oil on his face or mud from the crash. Either way he is lucky to have walked away.

Dick
      Attached Files

Comment

• They were dare devils allright! Their nicknames are priceless!!! Thanks for posting the story Dick....
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

• Other board trackers included Millionaire Marty Graves, Fearless Balke, and Daredevil Derkum.
          Jerry Hatfield

Comment

• How about Albert "Shrimp" Burns and Leslie "Red" Parkhurst..........

I've stumbled upon a great article that I'll post on "Red" in the next day or two. It has some info on the 1919 Marion, Indiana race and some great photos...
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

• Harley twincam race motor from 1932

I`m not quite sure if this is the correct thread to ask in, but I`l take the chance.
              If Herbert aka Harley Creation could check his files to see if he could find any info on 32 FHB 801 I would truly apprechiate it. I know where this engine rest, it seems to have been built for alcohole and it is a tapered fin 61" twin cam with the barrel style racing carb. I have some ideas of its history but the first years are kind of blurry.
              I`ve mentioned this engine before as I find it very cool they made the IOE several years later than what the books says.

Kind regards
              Sverre
              AMcN
              http://AmericanMotorcyclesNorway.blogspot.com
              And then there is the idea that we are here on earth to get a certain amount of things done before we die.
              This is a great theory.
              If it is true, I am so far behind that I will never die...

AMCA-3489

Comment

• How about some more photos of this rare find.
                Joe

Comment

• There's an interesting article here http://www.americanrider.com/output.cfm?id=2111941 that has a paragraph regarding Harry Ricardo....
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

• Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                    It would be a shame if there isn't one still alive today. Cool photo jurassic!

Notice bare feet. Probably baked like a roast chicken from the hot exhaust blast during race.
                    Herbert Wagner
                    AMCA 4634
                    =======
                    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

• Originally posted by sveger View Post
                      I`m not quite sure if this is the correct thread to ask in, but I`l take the chance.
                      If Herbert aka Harley Creation could check his files to see if he could find any info on 32 FHB 801 I would truly apprechiate it. I know where this engine rest, it seems to have been built for alcohole and it is a tapered fin 61" twin cam with the barrel style racing carb. I have some ideas of its history but the first years are kind of blurry.
                      I`ve mentioned this engine before as I find it very cool they made the IOE several years later than what the books says.

Kind regards
                      Sverre
                      AMcN
                      http://AmericanMotorcyclesNorway.blogspot.com
                      Sverre,

I'm copying this over to the "Oddball Har-Dav serial number" thread. I'll also post the findings there when I get the chance to look.
                      Herbert Wagner
                      AMCA 4634
                      =======

Comment

• How about the shreaded pant leg??? If he rode barefoot he was one tough dude!!!
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

There's an interesting article here http://www.americanrider.com/output.cfm?id=2111941 that has a paragraph regarding Harry Ricardo....
                          The Ricardo & H-D 8-Valve story sounds plausible on the surface. There's even that nice little detail about spending $25,000 before Walter bought Ricardo's round-trip boat ticket. But the story is improbable if not impossible when you examine it closely. I always had suspicions about it, but the eight-valve story gave me opportunity to test it. One little pin-prick and the balloon burst!
                          Last edited by HarleyCreation; 07-14-2010, 07:19 PM.
                          Herbert Wagner
                          AMCA 4634
                          =======

Comment

How about the shreaded pant leg??? If he rode barefoot he was one tough dude!!!
                            Yeah, how did his pants get shredded like that?

He didn't ride barefoot. But his feet were probably so cooked by the end of the 300-mile race he needed to cool them off.
                            Herbert Wagner
                            AMCA 4634
                            =======

Comment

• Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
                              Yeah, how did his pants get shredded like that?

He didn't ride barefoot. But his feet were probably so cooked by the end of the 300-mile race he needed to cool them off.
                              That's what I was thinkin'..... I can just imagine how hot some of those race days were! Maybe those pants were victim to a flailing chain off another machine??? Either way it's too bad these pictures can't speak for themselves!
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                              X