Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• harley eight valves

www.motorcyclecannonball.com

i finally got a copy of this rare factory shot of the first generation 8 valve. i was curious if any original examples still exist.

Comment

nice bike did you make it
      rob ronky #10507
      www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Originally posted by jurassic View Post
        i finally got a copy of this rare factory shot of the first generation 8 valve. i was curious if any original examples still exist.
        It would be a shame if there isn't one still alive today. Cool photo jurassic!

Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

8 Valves

Hey Lonie,
          Afraid my computor is ill, so I can't forward photos. But I remember visiting Benito Battilani in Imola, Italy a few years ago. Aperently, of the 3 HD 8 valves that migrated to Europe back in the day (a common practice of machines that got out dated in the US), Mr. Battilani owns two of them. I believe they were photographed in an article of the Antique MC some years back.
          Mr. Battilani own pairs of many significant bikes; yes, two of each. One for him, and one for his wife! He is also a big mover & shaker of the Global orgnaization called FIVA, which is for the betterment of ALL antique vehicles. Something we all should be looking into during these days of tree hugging, electric car drivers.
          RF.

Comment

Originally posted by rwm View Post
            If he made it, why would he ask if any original ones existed?

Comment

so after we all say ooh aah nice bike great pic where did you get the photo? reply my shop. fooled al of you i made the bike.
              rob ronky #10507

Comment

The fellow in the picture above might be a HD collector; no shoes. ...bill
                Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by rwm View Post
                  hi rob ,i did not make the bike ,but thanks for asking.the bike in the photo was made by harley davidson in 1916.upon close inspection of a repro top end even the untrained eye can see the vast differences between the original and the newly made.thus my question ,are there any original first generation bikes or top ends left.keeping in mind they made 3 different versions of the 8 valve head over the years.

Comment

i heard the factory bought one for a cool mil. but that was just a small rumor going around rhinebeck last year. maybe just urban legend i would believe the bikes red fred spoke about are copies.sometimes all the money world can not buy something that does not exist
                    rob ronky #10507

Comment

Willie G. bought a knockof for his peronal collection many years ago.
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

do you think the race dept. would destroy it to keep it out of the hands of competition or would frugal business men keep it to rework.remember in the early half of the last century thing were not throw away or disposable, but always race secrets are guarded .whoever was the owner they're probably long gone.
                        rob ronky #10507

Comment

i believe this is the bike that harley purchased a few years back,but i cannot confirm the sale price . it is the second generation C port type head

Comment

This bike is on display at the Dick Erickson Ranch in Wallsburg, Utah. He has a large collection of Antique Motor stuff. Opens it up to visitors in June. This year 6/26...6/28.
                            Attached Files

Comment

We going to do something on early H-D 8-valves in the near future.

One thing of importance will be to prove that the first Harley 8-valve was actually fielded and raced in 1915, and not 1916 as commonly believed. Of course 1916 was a smashing success for the Milwaukee brand, altho in a year of great turmoil and change.
                              Herbert Wagner
                              AMCA 4634
                              =======
                              The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Working...
                              X