No announcement yet.

Air Compressors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently got my little Harbor Freight blast cabinet going, and I'm pushing air with an antique Campbell-Hausfeld compressor, this thing is an old vertical twin about 35 years old. It has about a 25gal tank, and I believe it's rated at 8.5cfm. Yes, it works pretty hard, but I just have to stop and wait for the pressure to stay up. I've been getting excellent results, but realized right away that a water separator is mandatory! I now have one at the compressor outlet and one at the cabinet inlet. Been wondering how long the media (glass bead) stays "sharp" before it needs replacing. I expect it has a lot to do with the working pressure and how close the nozzle is to the work. Any comments or advice about that?

Comment

Just Use It As Long As It Works---do You Have The Counter Model Cab Or The Floor Model With A Vacuum On It?

Comment

Originally posted by flat-happy View Post
        Just Use It As Long As It Works---do You Have The Counter Model Cab Or The Floor Model With A Vacuum On It?
        It's the stand-up floor model, with an opening for attaching a vacuum, which I have done. There's a fresh air intake in the back of the cabinet. Makes it a lot easier to see when I blast my gloves.

Comment

Ok With That Type The Glass Breaks Every Time It Hits Something And Gets Smaller. When It Is Light Enough The Vacuum Will Pull It Out And Eventually You Will Run Out Of Beads. In A Pinch You Can Throw Some Of The Beads Back In But They Won't Do Much Or Last Long. Never Strip Chrome In A Cabinet. A Friend Tried That With Mine And Didn't Tell Me. The Next Time I Used It A Piece Of Chrome Sliced Through The Glove And My Finger. I Made Him Buy Me New Gloves

Comment

My vacuum exhausts use two 5 gal. shop vacs in series, but the first has no motor: just a cyclone.

This allows the larger abrasive particles to fall out for recycling back to the cabinet, and only lets the superfine through to the shop vac with a Caterpillar truck filter installed.
            Without the cyclone, even the enormous filter would plug quickly.

....Cotten
            PS: Chrome comes off better with steel shot!
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

sounds like a good setup cotten---i'm lucky and have a good relationship with a local chrome shop and i take down a harley oil box full of parts and he strips it for $25 if he's in a good mood and $50 if he's pissed off about something. either way it's better than contaminating my beads!!!! i cant tell you how many cam covers knuckle rocker boxes oil pumps pushrod tubes battery hold downs lifter blocks etc he has done for me and it usually looks like a new part when i get it back

Comment

Working...
              X