Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Compressors

Hi, All

Doing my first ground up restoration, and I've definitely got the bug to do more.

I've come to the realization I could really use a blasting cabinet of my own. A little research shows several cabinets from Harbor Freight that are economical and would meet my modest needs.

Problem is, the cabinet specs suggest a compressor capable of at least 10 CFM, which basically means an expensive compressor that runs on 220v, which I'm not wired for in my work area. On the other hand, portable compressors that run on 110v go for only a few hundred dollars, but the best push only around 5 or 6 CFM at around 100 PSI.

Anybody got experience with this? Does the smaller compressor just cycle often and interrupt your work, or is it incapable of pushing enough air for occasional blasting of old paint, oxidation, etc on one or two parts at a time?

I'd like to have the air available to run a ratchet, clean parts, raise a lift, etc, but need enough capacity to make it work with a blasting cabinet, too.

Any input and/or recommended solutions greatly appreciated!
    Ride it like you can fix it!

If your compressor isn't big enough for the job you'll get poor results if any at all and the only thing you will be successful at is burning up the little compressor. With the economy the way it is you should be able to pick up a used one at auction fairly cheap. It isn't that big a deal to run a 220 line for it, might as well run two your gonna want to do some welding at some point and will most likely need 220 for that also.
    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

If you buy the cheap one in a short time you will be ownig two !! Do it right the 1st time !! What I did was go to store that sells air equiptment and bought a used model they had it cost a little more than a new one from china but that was 20 years ago !!!! So I guess Ive really gotten my moneys worth !!!!

Comment

A small pump will always be over-taxed by constant operation, but the efficiency of the blast operation itself can be optimized by adding as large of a storage tank as possible.

This will allow for longer periods of airflow at effective pressures.

The auxillary tank can be separated by a valve when not in use, and if the hose is large enough, the tank can even be on the other side of a wall, outside of the shop entirely.
        Old propane tanks and water pressure tanks work great, if you can beat the scrappers to them.

....Cotten
        PS: My 80 gallon tank has claw feet.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

another thing to look at is the size of the nozzle on the blast gun. you can get a smaller one that uses alot less CFM of air. on a big job that means working longer, because the blast pattern is smaller, but for small parts it works fine
          Kevin Valentine 13
          EX-Chief Judge

Comment

Thanks for the input, guys. Alot of this stuff is new to me, and your shared experience and knowledge is invaluable.

Comment

220 single phase (which is what pretty much everything runs on) is simply two separate 110 volt leads, and a nuetral. ....pretty easy....

I agree with finding a good used compressor.

(a quick lesson)

I bought the biggest best Ingersoll-Rand compressor that could be found 2 years ago. Yeah, ........I was supporting an American made brand.......WRONG!!!

It was the biggest piece of **** I've ever owned!

14 months after purchasing, flames shot out of a short in the windings.

You guessed it......I called customer support, and the warranty was 12 months, the new motor was 475 bucks, which they probably got for 10 bucks from China. (it was from china)

I'm now back to using my 1950s Wayne compressor, that was used in a gas station from 1955-1985, then ran my tool and die shop for 15 years, and then my current shop for 10, and for some reason I thought I needed a new one.

We all need to refuse to buy **** that is made overseas.....and ASK the questions before buying.

There was a time in the USA, that when you bought a MACHINE, you knew it would last for a lifetime.

Comment

Those high RPM compressors are just cheap. Just a simple one that uses generic, common parts is my idea. I do have a CH right now, but I only bought it because the crank finally went out on my old Sears that had to be the most abused machine ever, but lasted 35 years. The price was right on the Campbell Hausfeld, but I have replaced the head, and the control in the last 8 years. It was used when I got it, and the tank had been lined, so it will probably be my last, I hope. A good idea is to get an extra tank and piggy back the system to get more capacity. And ALWAYS turn it off when you are not around. That isa what killed my Sears. The control didn't function and it ran for many hours. Not good! Oh yes, the new Sears appear to be junk! I have read a lot of bad reviews.
                Mike

Comment

i found this on craigslist sale-axhyd-1216355007@craigslist.org send them an emil. whole shop going out of business in glenwood springs. there is another v-twin compressor head for $500 in another ad in silt co. if you search craigslist you will find what you need nearby. a new compressor large enough to do the job will be around $2500. the cheaper ones have an aluminum air pump. you need one with a cast iron pump. should be v twin and 5 hp. a good used one will be $500-$800. if you go the extra bucks it won't fail you and you can easily make it pay for itself by advertising. usually in remote areas it is hard to find someone to do that type of work. have fun

Comment

this is what you need but stay away from the 3 phase motor unless you have a school or factory nearby. they would have 3 phase power. the 3 phase motors are cheaper new than single phase sale-qwdck-1183434544@craigslist.org

Comment

Get a DVair 5HP HDI with the 247 two stage pump. Best compressor made. 7 year warranty running at 100% duty cycle ... Perry

Comment

Thanks again for all the input. Been reading some online reviews, and it seems like nobody is happy with *any* of the newer models, no matter the brand. I started out looking at Craftsman because in the past I've always trusted the brand, but it looks like their quality and reputation is going downhill in a hurry.

Comment

craftsman has really gone down hill in everything---you can't make a living with the hand tools either. when i worked at a dealership i would have to go to sears every night after work with 3 or 4 broken tools so i would have them for work the next day. i use snap on now. a lot of guys get in over their head with snap on tools and if you contact your local snap on dealer there is a good chance he has a commercial 5 hp compressor that some one couldn't pay for and is willing to sell for half price or less. i paid $800 for a compressor that was over $2600 new at the time. it is a snap on v twin 2 stage upright and it will actually pump up and shut off while i'm blasting with a small nozzle

Comment

Great idea!

Comment

One of the best compressors around...'QUINCY'.

Comment

Working...
                              X